Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort & Spa (Dana Point, CA) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort & Spa (Dana Point, CA) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2004, 5:53 am

Programs: AA- Lifetime Platinum (Former EXP, CK) 6MM, Marriott - Lifetime Titanium Elite
Hopefully I can help here as I live within 5-10 minutes of all 3 properties and have had a chance to use all three for various events and corporate functions.

There are niceties about all three properties and I might recommend 1 additional choice as well.

1. The Marriott Dana Cliffs: A nice property which was not originally built as a Marriott. This property has been around for about 10 - 12 years and was built as the "Dana Point Resort Hotel" the rooms are better than average and if you have Gold or PLT status you can feel pretty good about getting an ocean view room. The property is very spread out so you may have as much as a 10 minute walk from the lobby to your room depending on where you end up. The property is on a hill above Dana Point harbor but quite honestly the view is only OK at best. The restaurant and bar are just average.

2. The Ritz Carlton - Laguna Niguel: Of the three properties you mention this is the only property that is right on the beach. This Ritz is about 15 - 16 years old and is very elegant. There are 3 restaurants on site and all are very good and STUPIDLY expensive as is the bar. paying $15 for a well mixed drink comes to mind. The pool here is very nice and you can certainly walk directly down the steps to one of the nicest beaches in southern CA. The rooms are nice although I understand that you will pay a premium for an oceanfront room here. The property is adjacent to the Monarch Beach golf course, a very nice track and worthwhile if you are a player as they have 2 holes that are right on the ocean front.

3. The St. Regis: This is a new hotel opened within the past 2 years. It is accross Pacific Coast Highway (PCH) from the Ritz Carlton and sits directly on the golf course with more panoramic ocean views. You will need to walk approx 1/4 - 1/3 of a mile to reach the beach but the pool and the overall facility is very very nice. This is the only property that I have not stayed at so I can't tell you personally how the rooms are but business associates have said that they are nice....nothing spectacular but very nice. The restaurant of choice is the world famous "Aqua" of San Francisco fame. They boast one of the best wine lists in the world and the food is very very good and like the Ritz the prices are very very high.

I would also suggest one additional property and where I would personally stay if coming from out of town for this function and this is the all new Montage resort in nearby Laguna Beach. This property is just as close to the Ritz as the Marriott and is one of the most spectacular properties I have seen anywhere in the world......and I've seen quite a few. It is only 1 year old and I would highly recommend staying there before the word gets out and it get's crazy. The property is situated right on the beach in Laguna with a very nice layout. The rooms and suites almost all have an ocean view and none is more than a 3 minute walk to the lobby , pool or beach. They have 2 spectacular restaurants on site as well as a lounge with one of the most awesome views around. This property offers more off site amenities as it is closer to Laguna Beach but only by 5 minutes for the Ritz/St. Regis and 10 minutes for the Marriott. It does not offer on-site golf as does the Ritz/St. Regis but is the best of the group if you want to hang out on the beach.

The good news is that all 4 of these properties are very nice and you can't go wrong with any of them. If I were to rate them here would be my rankings:

1 - Montage
2 - Ritz Carlton/St. Regis (Tie)
4 - Marriott (Distant 4th)

Best of luck during your upcoming stay in one of the best climates ANYWHERE in the world!!

[This message has been edited by paul5E (edited Mar 13, 2004).]
Old Mar 13, 2004, 7:36 am

I've stayed at all properties.
Rated in order:

#1. Stay at the St. Regis! Amazing property. Probably one of the most beautiful hotels in N. America.

#2. Ritz. Closer to the water than the St. Regis. If this is important to you. Stay here.

#3. Marriot. Good property, but not even in the same ballpark as the two above.

I live in SoCal and I'm very familiar with these properties and the surrounding area. Send me an e-mail if you want any additional information.
Old Oct 14, 2007, 4:00 pm

Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort

Has anyone had any recent experiences at this property? We are planning to stay there October 24 -- 30.

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 14, 2007, 5:05 pm

Programs: DL Silver, (used to be somebody here) Marriott Lifetime Titanium
stayed here a few times in he last few years. overall very good especially with the price compared to Montage, St Regis Ritz. Those are world class resorts. The marriott is a REALLy nice hotel by comparison

if you are looking to use the hotel as a base to wander the OC, stay at the mariott and blow the money eating out. If you are looking for a resort experience then Montage it is

in any case - drinks on the veranda at montage is a great time

also - 1/2 price martinis at Salt Creek down the road is a good way to spend happy hour
Old Oct 15, 2007, 3:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
Wife and daughter stayed here last year. Both were a little bit skeptical but wound up really enjoying it. They had no problem doing serious and frequent damage to my credit card at many shops and restaurants nearby!
Old Jan 18, 2009, 10:17 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTT; IHG DiamondAmb; WoH Globalist; UA1K2MM; NationalEE; AvisPC; HertzPC
Laguna Cliffs Marriott Resort & Spa

Did anyone stay at this property recently? What upgrade should a Platinum member expect during low-season?
Old Jan 18, 2009, 10:47 pm

Programs: UAL 1K, Marriott Rewards Platinum
Marriott Laguna Cliffs Resort

A fantastic property. From top to bottom, one of the nicest places to go for the spa/relaxation treatment. As a platinum, you will have free continental breakfast and free access to the Spa. You also get 10% off Spa services.

The Continental breakfast is very good, but doesn't match those as in Hawaii (Ko Olina) or elsewhere in Asia/Europe. The Spa is First Rate. The gym is small, but the relaxation room and the overall quietness of the facility, makes this a very nice place to re-charge the batteries. Enjoy, David
Old Jan 19, 2009, 8:32 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt DIA, IC RA
Excellent hotel. I am not a PLT so can't assist with the upgrade for PLT, but I was upgraded with no status to a very nice room!
Old Jan 19, 2009, 10:53 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTT; IHG DiamondAmb; WoH Globalist; UA1K2MM; NationalEE; AvisPC; HertzPC
Has any Platinum member got upgraded to a coastline/ocean view room from the lowest resort view room lately?
Old Jan 19, 2009, 11:06 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Lifetime Gold, UA Premier Silver
The last time I was at this property was about six months ago and I received a nice upgraded room. I've stayed there several times over the years and have always been upgraded, so unless something has radically changed you should receive one as well.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA GS, Avis CHM, Marriott & SPG & PC Plat., Hyatt & Hilton Diamond
I'm planning to stay here for a couple of nights. Any recent experience?

They currently offers a mid-week rate of $189/night, which is only slighly more than my company rate, including American breakfast and valet parking. Valet Parking is $27/night and there's no self parking (according to the website).
Old Aug 6, 2010, 11:46 am

Programs: Mileage Plus (1P), Skymiles
Upcoming stay at Laguna Cliffs

I have a 6-night stay coming up at Laguna Cliffs, in Dana Point. I am a lowly silver MR, and I booked a pretty low rate. With that status/rate, will they put us in the worst room in the resort? If so, how dismal will that be? I just want to adjust my expectations accordingly.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 10:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Not been there, but photos on website look fab. FWIW - unless the room is over the garbage area, it looks like all of the rooms have decent views.

After your stay could you do a bit of a 'trip report' so others will know what it's like?

Cheers.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 3:20 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus (1P), Skymiles
I'll be happy to share my impressions.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 9:20 pm

Programs: Marriott, Southwest, American, Delta, Amtrak,Multiple others
We usually eat in the restaurant when vacationing at MVC Newport Coast Villas using a Marriott dinner for 2 certificate and have had excellent food and service. The location overlooks the coast from a hillside and the resort looks very nice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.