Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott-family hotels in Manhattan (NYC) (thru Oct. 2018) [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Marriott-family hotels in "xx" means all Marriott brand hotels in that city. It does not mean hotels that are family friendly, although there could be some family friendly ones on the list. But it refers to the various brands. Marriott-family hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc, & trip reports are usually in the property specific threads."

​​​​​​​
Print Wikipost

Marriott-family hotels in Manhattan (NYC) (thru Oct. 2018) [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2001, 6:02 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
flyerwife: I haven't been to Cancun, but I did stay at the JW Marriott in Century City, CA before it was bought out by somebody else. It was definitely a cut above other Marriotts. The staff was more solicitous, the decor was more elegant, and there were more goodies in the room. It was just a standard room, but had bath salts, robes, and even a glass container of Q-tips in the bathroom.

I bet a JW Marriott in NYC is going to cost a pretty penny. I wonder if they will have problems finding staff. I know Nordstrom at one time was considering NYC for expansion but decided (or so I heard) that they would have too much trouble finding employees who would be appropriate for their service oriented style. Having stayed at the Times Square Marriott Marquis a number of times, I can say that some of their people are not exactly anxious to please -- and a higher percentage seem to be like this than at other Marriotts I've stayed at.

Now I will run and hide while the New Yorkers on FT have their chance at rebuttal...

Better yet, since I have gone off topic a bit, maybe someone else will steer us back on.
Old Mar 16, 2001, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA MM-1P, Hilton Life Diamond, Marriot Life Gold, ICH Spire
"Not being anxious to please" was a communal try at self-regulation of the volume of tourists.

It does not seem to have worked, so we're all busy thinking about what to try next.
Old Mar 18, 2001, 6:16 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
Anyone stayed at the hotel before it was converted to a JW Marriott? Any trip reports yet? Is it true that there is just one restaurant in the whole hotel? How do you think it compares to the Marquis?

Muerz

------------------
Hyatt Platinum
Marriott Silver
Old Mar 18, 2001, 6:45 am

Programs: UA 1K 3MM Lifetime, AA PlatPro,Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime, Hyatt Globalist
The JW Marriott Cancun's intro rates are $179 which includes a $50 "run of resort" credit. Also included are 10,000 Marriott bonus points. The rate runs from 4/30/01 until 12/22/01. The promotion code is LXSC.
Old Mar 18, 2001, 7:34 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Muerz- This former RR hotel, now a JW Marriott is FAR better in nearly every respect to the Marquis!

The rooms are suites!

Many celebrities have stayed here - ayt least in the past!

I believe the toilet seats here may be heated!

The restaurant, Halcyon, is okay for fine dining but niot universally highly regarded by comparison to the other great places to eat nearby.
www.rihga.com may not have it onsute any longer but...
Old Mar 18, 2001, 9:34 am

Thanks, edsh, and everyone else for helping me intermingle this Cancun thread with the JW NY thread.
I am mostly interested in comparison of the 2 Cancun props because I am considering travel in 2002 on a Marriott award, so the rate doesn't concern me as much as the quality of the hotel. I have heard good things about the CasaMagna, but want to know if the JW Cancun is even better. I know some of the FT'ers secured that discounted rate with points at the JW for April, so maybe I'll need to wait for their review. From the website, it looks as though the CasaMagna only allows 4 people in the room. We are a family of 5. Looks like the JW accepts 5, so that may make the decision for me.
Sorry I have no info on the JW in NYC, except that the Righa Royal (if thats what it was formerly) was considered a classy hotel.
Thanks again!!!
Old Mar 18, 2001, 8:59 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
"Now, can anyone help me understand what's so wonderful about the various JW Marriott branded properties"

Nothing - 'JW' are Mr. Marriott's first two initials. I suppose having hotel named after only your last name isn't enough these days....

As such, the level of "service" is supposed to be superior for all guests rather than just the elites.

I've stayed at the Washington, DC JW property a few times as both a non-elite adn a Gold and found nothing outstanding compared to a standard Marriott or Marriott Marquis.
Old Mar 19, 2001, 2:24 am

Location: WILD ANIMAL PARK (SAN), CA> GOLD-CO, MARRIOTT, HH, STARWOOD, HYATT,
I maybe able to give a JW in CUN report after Cinco de Mayo!
Old Mar 19, 2001, 8:06 am

Gracias, Roadrunner !!!
Old Jun 27, 2001, 7:41 am

They Love N.Y.

They Love N.Y.
WSJ, 6/27/01

Marriott International Inc. can't get enough of New York City. The hotel giant isn't satisfied with the nine lodgings it now operates or franchises in Manhattan and downtown Brooklyn. It is planning two others with developer Harry Gross, despite a slower economy and declining occupancy rates.

Mr. Gross says they plan to break ground in November on a 420-suite Residence Inn, Marriott's extended-stay product. He already has leased the Garment District site and is negotiating a construction loan with Wells Fargo & Co. Obtaining such financing isn't easy in the best of times. But Marriott and Mr. Gross should pull it off, given their willingness to put 30% to 40% of equity into the $100 million project.

Mr. Gross also has just acquired a site on Broadway and 54th Street for a Marriott Courtyard, a limited-service product. But he doesn't expect to break ground on that 380-room project until 2002.

So why isn't Marriott concerned about the softening market? Executives point out that both hotels are niche products that are needed in Manhattan. "There's always a need for new product," says spokesman Roger Conner.
Old Jul 24, 2001, 1:24 pm
pjs

JW Marriott Royal Rhiga NYC

Here's a 2 part question:

1) How is this hotel? I hear that it has become a little run-down, but the fact that it is all suites appeals to me because we will be bringing our 2 year old and it would be nice to have the extra space.

2) If I want to book an award stay here, is it possible to book under the old "Choice" 75k 3 night award? It is not listed in the Choice properties under the old award chart because it is a recent Marriott conversion. Does anyone have any good tips for convincing customer service that I should be able to redeem under the old schedule before 7/31? Otherwise, it will 'cost' 90k points under the new schedule.

Thanks!
Old Jul 24, 2001, 2:29 pm
pjs

OK, got number 2 answered. I was able to book the old award code and it is a choice property. Still, 75k points is better than 90k under the new award schedule.
Old Jul 24, 2001, 5:24 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

A nice property and a real nice location too, IMHO! It's just that some celebrities do not seemingly feel that a Marriott is quite up to ...whatever, so it is now "tired"! It's not an old property, maybe 10 yrs or so?
Old Jul 25, 2001, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
A VERY nice hotel. We have stayed there many times, as recently as a week ago. It's only about 10 years old so it's not deteriorating. It's well maintained for the most part. It's nice to have a suite - and not just some large bedroom that some hotels call a suite. Here the bedroom and living room are separated by doors. Bathrooms are all marble. Suites on the upper floors (called Executive floors) are larger and have a foyer separating the bedrrom from the living room, in addition to a bedroom door.
Old Jul 26, 2001, 9:22 pm

The hotel has a great restaurant called the Halycon which serves an excellent 3 course prix-fixe lunch for $25.

I work in the area and frequent the restaurant often but never stayed in the hotel. There is an Avis next to the hotel and a Hertz a block away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.