Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott-family hotels in Manhattan (NYC) (thru Oct. 2018) [Merged threads]

Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Marriott-family hotels in "xx" means all Marriott brand hotels in that city. It does not mean hotels that are family friendly, although there could be some family friendly ones on the list. But it refers to the various brands. Marriott-family hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc, & trip reports are usually in the property specific threads."

​​​​​​​
Print Wikipost

Marriott-family hotels in Manhattan (NYC) (thru Oct. 2018) [Merged threads]

Old Apr 29, 2017, 8:52 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
What is your criteria for the 'best downtown NY properties'?
Nice property, good location.

Ideally close to good espresso in the morning and decent access to somewhere to run, but downtown usually is pretty good since it's so narrow to get to the waterside trails.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 1:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by AskTravis
Ideally close to good espresso in the morning and decent access to somewhere to run, but downtown usually is pretty good since it's so narrow to get to the waterside trails.
The Edition at Madison Square is geographically closest if your meetings are between 14th and 23rd. The Ren midtown would be a decent choice as well.

I'm not sure the FD will be materially more convenient to that area than midtown would be, either by car or subway.
Old May 4, 2017, 9:22 pm
FnF
Suspended

Originally Posted by MIKE MAHONEY
Dingo.. Please see my post under first time in New York City. Enjoy yourself in the big apple.. Go to a broadway show if you can... TKTS OFFERS 25% TO 50% OFF BROADWAY AND OFF BROADWAY TICKETS.. If your interested in more info on this. Let me know in the First time to NYC post.. I provide the details...

Mike
I'm going to NY for the first time and would love to know about hotel discounts, Broadway ticket discounts and anything else. Thanks.
Old May 10, 2017, 8:58 pm
ms1

Hi guys,

I'm visiting New York for 5 nights across Nov/Dec this year with my wife to be for our honeymoon.

I'm a Marriott Gold member and I wanted to use my points to book our hotel. I've narrowed my choices down to JW Marriott Essex House and New York Marriott Marquis.

Can I get some opinions on which hotel is preferable? Location wise I'd prefer Marquis as it's closer to the action of Times Square but Essex House is a very good location also.
Old May 11, 2017, 7:57 am

Have you considered The Chatwal? It's an SPG property, but that's where I'd stay for an NYC honeymoon.

Originally Posted by ms1
Hi guys,

I'm visiting New York for 5 nights across Nov/Dec this year with my wife to be for our honeymoon.

I'm a Marriott Gold member and I wanted to use my points to book our hotel. I've narrowed my choices down to JW Marriott Essex House and New York Marriott Marquis.

Can I get some opinions on which hotel is preferable? Location wise I'd prefer Marquis as it's closer to the action of Times Square but Essex House is a very good location also.
Old May 11, 2017, 8:21 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by JW6130
Have you considered The Chatwal? It's an SPG property, but that's where I'd stay for an NYC honeymoon.
Could you explain why? (I mean it nicely, not snarky). Getting a recommendation w/o any reason for it doesn't help much.

Something that ms1 as a Gold will get at either Essex House or the Marquis is exec lounge access, which he won't get as a Gold at a SPG property. That may/may not factor into his decision as to where he stays.

Cheers.
Old May 11, 2017, 3:04 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ms1
Hi guys,

If it's your first trip to NYC, then I would recommend the Marquis, but otherwise, I would steer clear of that area.
Old May 11, 2017, 7:23 pm
ms1

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Chatwal looks amazing but requires double the amount of points for redemption so not sure whether I can justify this.

It'll be my 3rd trip to NYC but my partners first. On my previous trips I stayed at Sheraton Times Square and the Novotel Times Square. I really enjoyed both these hotels and their locations.

As I mentioned previously it's my partners first time to NYC so I think Marquis would be slightly more ideal than Essex House location wise. From what I've read on TripAdvisor it seems that Marquis is the newer product and that Essex House is in need for a refurb? For me I'd say that location is most important followed by size of the rooms and quality of the hard product.

Also which of the 2 is more likely to offer the better upgrade considering the occasion?

Thanks all for the feedback.
Old May 17, 2017, 10:40 pm
ms1

Originally Posted by ms1
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Chatwal looks amazing but requires double the amount of points for redemption so not sure whether I can justify this.

It'll be my 3rd trip to NYC but my partners first. On my previous trips I stayed at Sheraton Times Square and the Novotel Times Square. I really enjoyed both these hotels and their locations.

As I mentioned previously it's my partners first time to NYC so I think Marquis would be slightly more ideal than Essex House location wise. From what I've read on TripAdvisor it seems that Marquis is the newer product and that Essex House is in need for a refurb? For me I'd say that location is most important followed by size of the rooms and quality of the hard product.

Also which of the 2 is more likely to offer the better upgrade considering the occasion?

Thanks all for the feedback.
Can anyone also share their opinion on Ritz-Carlton Central Park? This hotel would set me back 280k reward points over 5 nights as oppose to 180k for Marriott Marquis and JW Essex House.

I've been in touch with Ritz-Carlton and note my gold status won't allow lounge access and will only provide an upgrade to their city view guest rooms (partial park view).

Is Ritz-Carlton worth the extra points? How are their city view guest rooms?
Old May 18, 2017, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by ms1
Can anyone also share their opinion on Ritz-Carlton Central Park? This hotel would set me back 280k reward points over 5 nights as oppose to 180k for Marriott Marquis and JW Essex House.

I've been in touch with Ritz-Carlton and note my gold status won't allow lounge access and will only provide an upgrade to their city view guest rooms (partial park view).

Is Ritz-Carlton worth the extra points? How are their city view guest rooms?
I have stayed at all 3 and I would not pick the Marquis over the Essex house. IMO the Essex House and RC Central Park are the best locations in Manhattan. I will be going to NYC with my oldest son in December and am staying at the RC. I would absolutely spend 100K more in points, but I tend to easily accumulate points. I also always try to stay at the highest end property I can as the service, rooms, and hotel seem to be better.

ETA: You say it is for your honeymoon as well. Ritz no question if this is the case.
Old May 18, 2017, 9:55 am

ms1 said location is most important, followed by size of rooms, quality of hard product, followed by potential upgrade. S/he has been to NYC before & liked the Times Square area, but partner hasn't. If that's the case they're probably going to be out & about doing things each day. The RC is nice, but no points on incidental, limited upgrade & no lounge does raise the question if the RC is worth an extra 100K. Having said all that, it's not like the Marquis/EssexHouse/RC are equivalent to Motel 6, so any would probably be fine.

Cheers.
Old May 18, 2017, 10:44 am

ms1 said location is most important, followed by size of rooms, quality of hard product, followed by potential upgrade. S/he has been to NYC before & liked the Times Square area, but partner hasn't. If that's the case they're probably going to be out & about doing things each day. The RC is nice, but no points on incidental, limited upgrade & no lounge does raise the question if the RC is worth an extra 100K. Having said all that, it's not like the Marquis/EssexHouse/RC are equivalent to Motel 6, so any would probably be fine.

Cheers.
If location was most important then I would definitely go RC or Essex House. Being across from Central Park is an incredible area to be in. I did get upgraded both times I stayed at Ritz and all 3 times at Essex House and I did not ask at all.
Old May 18, 2017, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by mikef07
If location was most important then I would definitely go RC or Essex House. Being across from Central Park is an incredible area to be in. I did get upgraded both times I stayed at Ritz and all 3 times at Essex House and I did not ask at all.
Either would be good. If lounge is important to ms1, that might tip it to Essex House. In the EH property thread, reports are that upgrades are mixed (ie, none at all to suites).

Cheers.
Old May 18, 2017, 11:51 am

Either would be good. If lounge is important to ms1, that might tip it to Essex House. In the EH property thread, reports are that upgrades are mixed (ie, none at all to suites).

Cheers.
Yeah I have never gotten a suite. It has just been a better view room. Maybe slightly bigger and higher floor.
Old May 18, 2017, 12:01 pm

Programs: Alaska MPVG75, AAdvantage PlatPro, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I think the best I've ever done is a slightly larger room with a park view. Still, I like the hotel.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.