Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in London, UK

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in London, UK

Old Jun 24, 2017, 10:48 am

London Ritz/Marriott Redemption

Hi all,

On my way to London, and cannot for the life of me decide between these three hotels for award redemption:

The London Edition
Grosvenor House
London Marriott Hotel Park Lane

Curious to know if anyone has had any experience and can provide any help. I'm Gold so hoping that a room upgrade will be in my future.

Thanks!
Old Jun 25, 2017, 5:04 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by jacobslide
Hi all,

On my way to London, and cannot for the life of me decide between these three hotels for award redemption:

The London Edition
Grosvenor House

Curious to know if anyone has had any experience and can provide any help. I'm Gold so hoping that a room upgrade will be in my future.

Thanks!
You get almost no benefits at Edition hotels--not even breakfast.

The J.W. Grosvenor House will upgrade you, even on an award stay. You also get the full benefits.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 7:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
jacobslide, as hockeyinsider says, forget about the Edition as no bennies other than free wifi.

Both the JW & PL are good choices. Since the JW is larger, odds of upgrades are better.

Cheers.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 8:35 am
Chy

I booked 7 award nights at JW Grosvenor House. The occupancy is listed as maximum 2, but that cribs are allowed. Will they allow us to stay here my wife and I and our baby? (1 year old) Do I need to email and confirm? Does anyone have this property's email address? Thanks.

Last edited by Chy; Jun 25, 2017 at 8:42 am
Old Jun 25, 2017, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
jacobslide, as hockeyinsider says, forget about the Edition as no bennies other than free wifi.

Both the JW & PL are good choices. Since the JW is larger, odds of upgrades are better.

Cheers.
Great, thank you both!
Old Jun 25, 2017, 10:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Chy
I booked 7 award nights at JW Grosvenor House. The occupancy is listed as maximum 2, but that cribs are allowed. Will they allow us to stay here my wife and I and our baby? (1 year old) Do I need to email and confirm? Does anyone have this property's email address? Thanks.
If you want to confirm a crib, yes. You could contact Marriott reservations & ask them to note your account or give you an email address or, if you have Skype, call the property during the day & get someone onsite to confirm the crib request. I don't think they're including a 1-year old in the 2 person occupancy.

"Crib/Play Yard : Portable play yard-type crib Complimentary"

Cheers.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock

Cheers.
Backing up what SkiAdcock has noted, here's info that compares the three properties:

The London EDITION
Stats: 7 floors, 173 rooms (%Suites: 0%) | no CL | Category: Tier 4 | Built: 2013 | Last Remodel: 2013 (opened)

Stats: 5 floors, 124 rooms, 28 suites (%Suites: 23%) | Concierge Lounge: yes | Category: 9 | Built: 1919 | Last Remodel: 2015

Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel
Stats: 8 floors, 420 rooms, 76 suites (%Suites: 18%) | Concierge Lounge: yes | Category: 9 | Built: 1929 | Last Remodel: 2008 (Wikipedia)
While the Park Lane has a larger percentage of suites, it is clear from the responses on this thread that the Grosvenor House, because of the sheer number of rooms and suites, is more likely to offer an upgrade, even on an award.

I'm working on my review of the Park Lane from my family's stay there in April and, even booking 3 (three) award rooms for 6 days each, no upgrades were offered. Now clearly the probability of even one upgrade was unfortunately also low because of the length of stay, but one upgrade out of the three would have been nice. So a shorter award stay at Grosvenor House may net you the upgrade you desire - without having to fork over any additional GBP.

Also, as a Tier 4 Ritz Carlton equivalent property. you'll need 60K points/night versus 45K points/night at either the Park Lane or the Grosvenor House.

David
Old Jul 10, 2017, 12:03 pm

London: Best value

Platinum member staying in London for five days on points this August.
family vacation, two adults, two children.

What would you consider to be the best value (not necessarily the lowest cost) based on Platinum status, lounge access, location, etc.

I'm looking to use points, but I've also included the nightly rate without points.

Grosvenor Square
180,000 + 180 GBP/night
or 616 pounds per night

Park Lane
180,000 + 400 GBP/night
or 690 pounds per night

Marble Arch
180,000 + 75/night
or 226 pounds per night

St. Ermins
160,000 +150 GBP/night
or 301 gbp per night

Regents Park
160,000 + 80 GBP/night
or 179 gbp per night

Kensington
160,00 +120 gbp/night
or 216 gbp/night

Hotel Maida Vale
points not available
175 gbp/night
Old Jul 10, 2017, 12:07 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
None of those seem great. Are you logged in when booking? I had no problems finding rooms for points only in July.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bergamini
None of those seem great. Are you logged in when booking? I had no problems finding rooms for points only in July.
I think the reason behind the surcharge is the fact that he wants one room to fit four people, so that does not work with any standard room in London. Therefor if you specify four people you need to book a larger room that requires a surcharge per night on top of the points per night.

Greetings - Dirk
Old Jul 10, 2017, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by djohannw
I think the reason behind the surcharge is the fact that he wants one room to fit four people, so that does not work with any standard room in London. Therefor if you specify four people you need to book a larger room that requires a surcharge per night on top of the points per night.

Greetings - Dirk
exactly,
once you go to 3/4 people, hotel options are reduced, room type availability changes and the points level/price both increase. For example, with the Marriott Kensington, the only room type available is a junior suite, with a four person reward stay for the dates we've selected.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 7:45 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

If it were me with a family of four, I'd choose St. Ermins for a base reward and then contact the hotel directly about paying a surcharge for a Family Room (two queens and a trundle bed).

No lounge but a wonderful breakfast. And nothing aids family harmony like two bathrooms.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 8:15 am

Maybe someone can help with this...trying to decide between PL and JW Grosvenor. We are staying for a week on points. First trip to London, basically just being tourists. We are only gold so the lounge isn't a factor (though I suppose likelihood of an upgrade might be--we do not frequent Marriott so I'm unfamiliar with the chance of that even happening on points). I suppose my only hesitation on PL after reading the other thread is that it looks like a number of rooms face inward and don't get a lot of light. We would consider other properties as well; I briefly looked at the Renaissance but I believe the basic room there is a queen bed and I think that would be uncomfortable.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 8:19 am

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by trouble747
We are staying for a week on points. First trip to London, basically just being tourists. We are only gold so the lounge isn't a factor.
Gold gets lounge access: http://www.marriott.com/marriott-rew...nefits/gold.mi

I'd pick Grosvenor as a gold for sure. Many more rooms thus much less likely to have a bad view like I did at PL.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by bergamini
Gold gets lounge access: http://www.marriott.com/marriott-rew...nefits/gold.mi

I'd pick Grosvenor as a gold for sure. Many more rooms thus much less likely to have a bad view like I did at PL.
Oh cool, thanks for the info. Like I said, we know nothing about Marriott. And my partner would be marriott gold if he's starwood gold, right (and the accounts are linked)?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.