Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in London, UK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in London, UK

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2003, 11:00 pm

It appears there's been few or no reports on anyone staying at the Park Lane. OR have I missed them? I'm curious what the report is. I have a reservations there for a week in April. I'm wondering if I should keep it or try some of the others that have been suggested??
Old Feb 5, 2003, 3:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I had a client stay at the Park Lane in December, and he had good things to say about it.
Old Feb 5, 2003, 7:22 pm

Programs: Island DOs, very sticky toffee pud w vanilla ice cream n multi-coloured velvet pillows enthusiast
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jtrader:
Finally decided to stay at Chancery Court (this weekend)....So far, the concierge staff at the Chancery Court has been great, helping with advance reservations.

Any suggestions on what to tip the concierge for making some dinner reservations and theater ticket bookings? More than one concierge is involved...how does one handle it?
</font>
@@ Any chance one of them Concierges named Nathan? I gave him U.S. $5.00 for helping me call BA to look for my lost luggage.

Another one is a young lady, forgot her name (starts with M). She helped me find three last minute Mamma-Mia tkts, and although each tkt was 11.00GBP more (service charge), I also gave her a $5.00 tip.

Oh, all the hotel restaurants and room service bills will have extra, compulsory 12% Service Charge added, and then there is a blank dotted line says Gratuities. SO I asked the server, he said the 'service charge' was collected by the hotel, the 'gratuities' was tips. Not convinced, I asked the front desk manager again, she said, 'service charge' was actually the tips, one would add gratuities only if one felt the service was extraordinary.

See, the basic taxes and service charge are already included in the menu price in the first place. Then there is another 12% service charge imposed. Then there is gratuities? I told the manager flat out that this was not right. She said yeah, quite a few people too complained about this and she would be more than gladly to remove the amount added as 'gratuities'. I said yes, since I also have given cash tips to the person who delivered the room service.

Other than this, I had a wonderful stay. The bed was sooooo comfortable, I hated to leave the room every morning.
Old Feb 5, 2003, 7:27 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Is the Marriott Marble Arch as bad is it seems?

The rest of them are in such nice areas...

I'm not concerned about the fact its in a highly concentrated Arab/Middle Eastern area (I should feel at home), but it just seems sort of out of the way.

Any thoughts?

I have zilch status with Marriott

lala
Old Feb 7, 2003, 10:01 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
[QUOTE]Originally posted by lalala:
Is the Marriott Marble Arch as bad is it seems?

Ski: I'm flying over tomorrow & staying there for 5 days before switching over to the Grosvenor Square Marriott. I'll let you know.

The rest of them are in such nice areas...

Ski: Marble Arch is only a 10 minute walk from Selfridges, Oxford St, etc, and since the Marble Arch tube stop is closed right now I think due to the Central Line derailment, if you were tubing you'd have to walk to Bond St tube stop - stopping for a little shopping at Selfridge's of course!

but it just seems sort of out of the way.

Ski: I don't think it is (see above), but this will be my first stop there as well, so can't say for certain. When do you arrive? Maybe we can meet up. Are you going to the Wagamama dinner next Sat?

[This message has been edited by SkiAdcock (edited 02-07-2003).]
Old Feb 7, 2003, 1:54 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
dinner, si.

The bus routes to MMA are pretty good and I love selfridges, especially the yo sushi in the basement that discounts plates to 1 GBP 45 minutes before closing.

Cheap way to fill up.

lala
Old Feb 11, 2003, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime 1K (3.52MM BIS miles) AA EXP (3.64MM)
Best Healthclub in London

Which property has the best healthclub.
Emphasis on cardio and weight machines.
Thanks.
Old Feb 12, 2003, 7:13 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
We stayed at the one near Swiss Cottage a couple years back. It, unlike most London Marriotts, could be had at a reasonable rate (around a hundred pounds per night, including weekdays). It's a basic three-star hotel with clean rooms, a restaurant, and pretty decent service. It had recently been renovated, so the room was very fresh-looking. Location is more residential than most, but we still got everywhere we needed to be via the Tube. At the time we were staying in London, the other Marriotts were all ~250GBP/night. We enjoyed it and would definitely go back. When we are in London, we don't spend a lot of time in our room, so a nice view would kind of be wasted on us...
Old Feb 12, 2003, 7:20 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, UA Silver, HHonors Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Platinum
Marriott BexleyHeath or Marriott Cheshut - better tube/train station location?

Hi everyone, I am going to London in March, and wanted to try to use my Category 4 certificates.. I know there are none in the immediate area, but there are 2 that are about 15 miles away (Marriott BexleyHeath and Marriott Cheshut). Does anyone know if either one has good Tube station/subway station access? I emailed Marriott, but have not received a reply yet.. and I want to have a "reasonable" commute to London when I do tourist things.. thanks in advance.
Old Feb 15, 2003, 11:25 pm

Programs: UA plat (1 mm miler) ; AA plat (2 mm miler); Marriott lifetime Titanium
We had a great stay at the Renaissance Chancery Court last weekend. I can't say enough nice things about this hotel. I'm very demanding and a standard Marriott wouldn't generally be my choice for vacation. However, Chancery Court lived up to its 5 star billing. I would say it comes close to a typical Ritz or 4 Seasons in most ways (exceeds in some).

Concierge staff was incredibly helpful. I'd let them know it was my anniversary and we were upgraded to a beautiful junior suite type room. Service overall was excellent and the hotel is really an attractive property.

While Holborn itself isn't the most beautiful are of London (all my British friends strongly recommended Park Lane instead), it's incredibly convenient to many of the things we were interested in (walking distance to British Museum, theatre, Soanes Museum, Covent Garden, Somerset House, etc.). The deciding factor for us in picking it was the tube problems which have shut down the Central line and would have made Park Lane very inconvenient.

I used points for my stay and was pleased to pay a total of 9 pounds (a few phone calls) at check-out. No taxes added. Combined with the free Concorde tickets (courtesy the AMEX-Starwood-Qantas deal), it made the enormous amount we spent on food and other stuff tolerable.
Old Feb 17, 2003, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA MARRIOTT Lifetime Plat Premier ; Marriott Vacation Club
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jtrader:
. . . . I used points for my stay . . . . it made the enormous amount we spent on food and other stuff tolerable.</font>
I hear you there.

We used a 7 day certificate at County Hall and still ended up with a fair-sized bill because dining is pretty pricy in London.

Also did a few days at Chancery and just loved it there. As you say, the staff is fantastic and property is well located to the theather etc.

We're hoping to get in a short excursion in April.

Barry

Old Feb 20, 2003, 9:39 pm

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
So what was the consensus on Marble Arch? Just curious as I'll be staying there in a couple weeks. Perhaps you haven't yet returned, but any comments would be great.
Old Feb 21, 2003, 11:05 am

I stayed there last weekend on a priceline stay with no marriott status and really liked the hotel. I was in a nicely furnished king room with floor length windows,nice light and a clean and large bathroom.

The hotel was quiet and the bed was very comfy (compared to my recent Hyatt Long Beach stay). I didn't eat or drink in the hotel, but the restaurant looks okay.

There is a coffee republic, a caffe nero and a costa nearby if you need a caffeine boost in the morning. Lots of middle eastern restaurants nearby too.

The elevator to the gym is undergoing refurbishment, so you have to go out of the hotel to use the gym. It is pretty well laid out and has nicely maintained equipment.

The hotel is equidistant from the Marble Arch and Edgware Road stations. Since the Central Line is still not running, I happily walked up to Edgeware to catch the tube. The buses around the hotel take you down Oxford Street and to Regent Street and other west London locales, so transportation is good.

My only gripe and its very small is that London hotels have very few public phones available in them. This is a problem if you don't want to pay 1 GBP for each calling card connection you make (free phone in the UK) or want to hang out on Edgeware Road to make a phone call.

So, MMA was great for me. I paid 92 USD including taxes and PL fees per night, not bad since the lowest I could find for those nights was closer to 180 USD.

lala
Old Feb 21, 2003, 9:16 pm

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
Hey, another Priceline stay! Thanks for your report lala. That sounds fine to me. You got a better deal than I did; my total is coming out about US$107/night after tax and fees (US$90 bid price), but I'm not at all unhappy with it. Plus we made up for it with our last night being one of those US$80 bid (US$99 total) rooms at the Mayfair Inter-Continental. (In between we'll doing some touring by rail.)

Sounds like a good tip about Edgeware Road. I had been trying to figure out which tube stop would be next closest since it seems the Central Line probably still won't be open when we get there. Thanks again.
Old May 15, 2003, 2:59 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriott LT Titanium, AA Plat Pro/LT Plat
47 Park Street London

I couldn't find any past comments about this property. It's part of the Marriott Grand Residence Club. Trying to decide between redeeming 3 nights here or at the Marriott County Hall or Renaissance Chancery Court, both of which have gotten very positive comments here. But the location of 47 Park Street seems great and I like the idea of a one bedroom suite. Would like to hear from anyone who has stayed here. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.