Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

How to order awards to sit in your account unattached?

Old Mar 29, 2008, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: LTP, PP

Is this possible? I'd like to order an award (say a 3 night, Cat 1 for 20,000 pts) to sit in my account unattached to a reservation.

An upcoming stay may or may not be business related and if not, I'd like to pay with points. (I'm a CPA and very cautious about business related tax deductions).

I'm pretty sure I can get the hotel to switch it over during my stay as I've done it with the Chase certificates after check-in.

But with the new web changes and auto ordering of awards, I can't figure out how to do this or if its even possible.

Also, might this mitigate the "double" stay anytime cost if you walk up to a location and have the certificate already in hand?

Thanks
Old Mar 29, 2008, 1:03 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I guess if you really wanted an ecert to sit in your account, you could probably call MR and have them order it, but not attach it to any reservation. I know that ecerts can exist without being attached as my Premier Cat. 1-5 Visa ecert has been doing just that.

The real question though is why? Given that an ecert can be ordered almost instantly, I'm not sure of a reason why you couldn't just call MR if you decide to try and use one. If you decide the day of a reservation that you want to pay or want to use points, I wouldn't think the deciding factor would be whether or not you have an ecert in your account, but whether there is award inventory available. If there is, a quick call should get you the ecert and your good to go. If there isn't any, I can see you walking up to a front desk clerk and saying "I already have an ecert in my account so lets talk...." Maybe if you talked with the GM or MOD, they might be willing to work something out, but in general, I don't think its going to help you much.
Old Mar 29, 2008, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LTP, PP
Thank you for the ideas, I admit my motives are probably pretty unique.

I propose that I would go away with the family on a long weekend, probably sports team related, with a lot of personal downtime between games. A very common occurrence for me. And these aren't in demand locations, usually cold, by the interstate FI / RI's in the dead of winter. My family grows bonsai trees and if I can convince a local retailer to carry them, then I have no problem calling that a business trip.

If I used that downtime to SUCCESSFULLY generate a sale or business relationship, then I would want to pay cash and deduct the cost as a business expense.

If not, I would like to use some of the 1.3MM points I've accumulated.

But I wouldn't know of that sucess until near checkout where I normally couldn't get a retroactive award on the web site.

Its a curse being a CPA you know... Any out of the box thinking appreciated.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.