Room Type Guarantee Question

Old Jan 26, 2011, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Room Type Guarantee Question

Staying at the Atlanta Marriott Century Center. Booked first night via priceline bidding. The balance (3 additional nights) were booked at a AAA rate on the Marriott website. Called weeks ago and linked my MR account w/ the priceline bookings. The rooms booked on the Marriott site were described as DD or King. DD is in my profile for room preference. When I called yesterday to arrange to stay in the same rooms instead of checking out and in between the back to back bookings, I learned that only 2 of my 4 rooms were DD. For some reason, my profile preference was not linked to half of my rooms.

Asked the manager to solve this, but was told that the hotel is sold out and that my room preference is not available. As a result, I'm sharing a King w/ a rollaway with my assistant (on floor 6, right by the elevator). I'm hoping they'll find me a room with two beds tomorrow. I don't want to make my assistant take the rollaway (I am shorter than she is), but I'd really rather not have it myself either.

Does anyone know if this is a violation of the room type guarantee, or if it only applies to a single room? Does the fact that the room type preference didn't transfer from my profile to the reservation mean the guarantee doesn't apply? I don't even care about the money, but I'd like to sleep in a real bed.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I believe the room type guaranty only applies to the room of the MR member, not to additional rooms booked for other people. But I'm confused as to whether you are booking one room for 4 nights, or multiple rooms for the four nights.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 10:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
I believe the room type guaranty only applies to the room of the MR member, not to additional rooms booked for other people. But I'm confused as to whether you are booking one room for 4 nights, or multiple rooms for the four nights.
Four rooms for four nights. But it sounds like, from what you've said, that I'm stuck w/ the rollaway. I have four high school boys in one of the double doubles, and two male coaches in the other. Never really expected to sleep on a rollaway as a Plat. Oh well.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
I believe the room type guaranty only applies to the room of the MR member, not to additional rooms booked for other people.
that is correct
Old Jan 27, 2011, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by socrates
that is correct
Too bad. Guess I'll have to get used to the rolloway. At least it doesn't crunch like a water resistant dorm mattress, so it could be worse...
Old Jan 27, 2011, 4:41 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Not my favorite ATL property, but I lived across Clairmont when I was in school at Emory and lived a few blocks farther from 2003-2004. (Back when you could still flip property in that neighborhood.) If you are looking for good cheap restaurants and have a car, you are very, very close to the best inexpensive Asian restaurants, which are just north of Clairmont and Buford Highway. You're also not too far from Lawrence's, which is an excellent, inexpensive mediteranean/middle eastern restaurant.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 5:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, PC Plat, Hertz Gold
If you need any other advice about the area, I've lived just a couple hundred yards up the street in the Gables Century Center complex for the past 2 years. Recommend El Potro mexican restaurant on Buford Hwy for some decent, quick and very inexpensive mexican food.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 6:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by lexdevil
Too bad. Guess I'll have to get used to the rolloway.
Giving the bed to your assistant? Sounds like a stand-up move!
Old Jan 27, 2011, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sica4
Giving the bed to your assistant? Sounds like a stand-up move!
She's substantially taller than I am. I'll be happy if she declines (she arrives tonight), but she needs the space more than me.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the resto suggestions!

I'll see if we have a chance to try them. Most of our dinners are really late, after the day of competition ends. Took two of my assistants to Abbatoir last night -- really good! Took the team to the Brick Store in Decatur tonight. Kids loved it.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CJKatl
Not my favorite ATL property
I definitely prefer the downtown properties (you should have seen the suite I got at the Marquis a couple of years back!), but our event is mostly at Emory.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 7:49 pm

Doc Chey's in Emory Village is a good, inexpensive choice. You can walk there from campus.

Downtown Decatur's Taco Mac's is another place that's inexpensive and kid friendly. My teen nieces and nephews love the place, so we wind up there just about every other week. Also in Downtown Decatur - Farm Burger (although expensive for what it is), Leons (slightly pricey) and Tanqueria Del Sol. After eating, stroll down Ponce to my favorite store, Heliotrope, and let them know some guy from the Internet sent you. They've got some cool, unusual, funky fun stuff. (My house is just outside of the Decatur city limits.)

The kids like Ted's down there, too. We once made up a whole story about Ted while we were waiting for our food. We told my nephew that Ted was some guy who sold billboard advertising so well that he eventually was able to buy the Braves, marry an Oscar winning actress, buy more land than anyone else in the country and own over a dozen TV stations, including Cartoon Network. Of course my nephew didn't believe a word of it. As if a man like that would open a restaurant in Decatur....
Old Jan 27, 2011, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the great suggestions. Have done Taco Mac in the wee hours before.

Off the subject at hand, where is my nearest OfficeMax/Depot or Staples? TSA destroyed our printer, so I need to replace it in the morning.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by lexdevil
Thanks for the great suggestions. Have done Taco Mac in the wee hours before.

Off the subject at hand, where is my nearest OfficeMax/Depot or Staples? TSA destroyed our printer, so I need to replace it in the morning.
Toco Hills. Take the access road south, turn left on Clairmont (first light), right on Lavista (maybe a mile) and Toco Hills will be on the northeast corner of North Druid Hills and Lavista (maybe a half mile). There will be an Einstein Bagel on your left at the intersection. Office Depot faces North Druid Hills. (Toco Hills is a very large strip mall, with two huge supermarkets.)

To get to Emory from there, go back to Lavista and continue in the direction in which you were driving. Make a left at the first light, which is Houston Mill. Take it until you get to Clifton, which will seem like the end of the road, turn left onto Clifton and you are at Emory.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.