Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 11, 2014, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FindAWay
Lifetime points are missing from the profile section of the website and show as 0 in the Marriott mobile app. However, you may be able to use the work-around referenced in this blog post to see your current Lifetime Points.

You can still view your lifetime points online with the following steps:
  1. Go to www.marriott.com and login
  2. Go to https://www.marriott.com/rewards/rewards-program.mi
  3. Click "Nights"
See screenshot of what to click.

If you call Marriott they can also tell you your lifetime points balance.

http://www.marriott.com/marriott/rew...te-benefits.mi As of 20 May, this process does not work. There is no link called "Night Detail" on this page.

To check lifetime balances: (HT to txpenny)
1. Click "Night Detail".
2. Click "Learn More" (under the night total)
3. Click "Marriott Rewards Overview". At this point you're probably no longer logged in (because you've been thrown to an older version of the Marriott website), so log in again.
4. Click "Nights" under your current year's nights. -> The detail you're expecting showing LT nights and points will show up like before.

Lifetime Silver Elite:
250 qualified nights
1.2 million points

Lifetime Gold Elite
500 qualified nights
1.6 million points

Lifetime Platinum Elite
750 qualified nights
2.0 million points

To check your point and night balance, log into your account and click My Account > Account Overview > Nights.

"Elite Lifetime Status is determined by your total qualified nights stayed and points earned throughout the course of your membership – including your paid nights, Elite rollover nights, meeting nights and the nights and points earned on your Marriott Rewards Credit Card."

Points used by members to buyback their previously attained Elite level will be permanently deducted from their Lifetime point balance.

If an elite's point level drops below that required for the level attained, they will drop down to the next Lifetime level until points are accumulated to get them back to the next level.

Lifetime points in addition to nights now display on your Marriott Rewards account. When logged in, click on "Nights" (the blue link below the number representing your current year nights). You'll see the detail of what comprises your current year nights as well as your Lifetime Status nights.
Print Wikipost

Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:31 am

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Originally Posted by CPRich
I'm surprised no one had posted this already.

Marriott Insider posted that the years requirement will be going away under the new program.

Nothing was shared on nights/points changes, but the years requirement deletion was confirmed.
Any link to that announcement?

Thanks,

GenevaFlyer
Old Nov 19, 2012, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
http://www.rewards-insiders.marriott...ge/64741#64741

The current criteria of a minimum number of years at a specific level will be going away. Said another way, nights and points will be the required milestones. Nope - I won't tell you how many...you'll have to wait.

I assume this will be leaked on FlyerTalk, so one more comment about additional info - neither the Marriott Concierge or our Guest Services team has any information about this, so please don't press them because they truly do not know anything.
(consider it leaked )

btw - also note the clarification request at the end of that thread, to be sure.

Last edited by CPRich; Nov 19, 2012 at 1:53 pm
Old Nov 19, 2012, 2:15 pm

OK - who's got the drum roll? The current criteria of a minimum number of years at a specific level will be going away. Said another way, nights and points will be the required milestones. Nope - I won't tell you how many...you'll have to wait.

I assume this will be leaked on FlyerTalk, so one more comment about additional info - neither the Marriott Concierge or our Guest Services team has any information about this, so please don't press them because they truly do not know anything.
I don't consider it a "leak" to be posted on here when posted in a public forum. I don't find Michellel's post helpful and is actually boarding on being rude, Marriott needs to take a long look at their social media relation skills.

What she has posted makes no sense there is no requirement at the moment for a "minimum number of years at a specific level".

As long as you have been a member of the program 12 years and reached the level at least once, you don't need to have been a platinum member x amount of years to get lifetime platinum as I read Michellel's post.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by oxfordjames
I don't consider it a "leak" to be posted on here when posted in a public forum. I don't find Michellel's post helpful and is actually boarding on being rude, Marriott needs to take a long look at their social media relation skills.

What she has posted makes no sense there is no requirement at the moment for a "minimum number of years at a specific level".

As long as you have been a member of the program 12 years and reached the level at least once, you don't need to have been a platinum member x amount of years to get lifetime platinum as I read Michellel's post.
It's a leak as MR has pretty much abandoned FT for their own site. Personally keeping up with FT is trying enough, I'm not about to go to a dozen other sites and track their account requirements.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 2:26 pm

Just seen another post by Michellel on insiders:

Lifetime 'criteria' has never been formally published, so any criteria currently in discussion is officially Urban Legend.
I have it in writhing in several emails from Marriott Rewards the current lifetime 'criteria'.

I don't consider this a "Urban Legend"
Old Nov 19, 2012, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oxfordjames

You apparently missed both my and my note to check the end of the thread for clarification on exactly that point.

Sorry if you found it annoying, feel free to ignore it.

(I could also re-open the already-beat-to-death topic of "officially published" vs. email and web forum postings, but I've had enough grief for the day)
Old Nov 19, 2012, 4:01 pm

You apparently missed both my and my note to check the end of the thread for clarification on exactly that point.

Sorry if you found it annoying, feel free to ignore it.

(I could also re-open the already-beat-to-death topic of "officially published" vs. email and web forum postings, but I've had enough grief for the day)
Sorry I wasn't directly replying to your post, just commenting on what Michellel had posted
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm surprised no one had posted this already.

Marriott Insider posted that the years requirement will be going away under the new program.

Nothing was shared on nights/points changes, but the years requirement deletion was confirmed.
Personally, I'm sorry to hear this. Twelve years in the program at any level for lifetime status such as Plat doesn't seem unreasonable to me. Otherwise someone could earn lifetime status from a short period of spending almost every night in a Marriott property, perhaps even from one long stay. It doesn't seem at all like a reward for loyalty.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:54 am
R&R

Programs: 1K-UA/AA, LT PLAT-MARRIOTT(1984), HILTON-GOLD, HYATT-GOLD
Question

I am wondering why they call it LIFETIME, if it takes only 10-12 years to qualify?

Old Nov 20, 2012, 4:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Personally, I'm sorry to hear this. Twelve years in the program at any level for lifetime status such as Plat doesn't seem unreasonable to me. Otherwise someone could earn lifetime status from a short period of spending almost every night in a Marriott property, perhaps even from one long stay. It doesn't seem at all like a reward for loyalty.
Does marriott give credit after 30 consecutive days at one property? One of the majors do not, just can't recall who

Originally Posted by R&R
I am wondering why they call it LIFETIME, if it takes only 10-12 years to qualify?

Seems like a lifetime ago when I joined MR or its predecessor
Old Nov 20, 2012, 5:14 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
Marriott and Hyatt give credit for 30+ night stays. They would have a harder time getting people to do such stays if they did not. I thought Starwood was the one that capped point credit at 30 nights.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 6:08 am

Programs: United 1K, MR Plat, SPG Plat
As someone who is on the verge of Lifetime Platinum under the old rules that should hit it by year end (literally a few nights away and less than 5000 points), I get a little nervous when Michellel says, "don't worry," on Marriott Rewards Insiders. Let's not forget Michellel was the one who strung us along for 10 months with promises of the BOGO benefit coming back better than ever and kept telling us not to worry. And we all know what happened there!

Hopefully those who qualify under the old rules of "urban legend," retain their status and the new requirements aren't reduced to the point that everyone hits LT after traveling for a few years or with significant spend on their MR Visa credit card.

I also hope that MR doesn't decide to reduce the benefits or make those with LT status second class elites. (i.e. LT Plats do not get CL access or upgrades, but get the welcome amenity and 50% bonus.)

I guess we will see what happens when they formally announce it in January.

Regards,

RIP...
Old Nov 20, 2012, 8:50 am

Programs: MAR platinum, UA, DL
Two defined Platinum levels

I have absolutely no information from Marriott, but my guess is that Marriott wants more life time and regular Platinum level members because such people probably generate a lot of income for the hotel chain. We can see evidence of Marriott strategy, e.g., by lowering life-time Platinum point requirements to 2 M, adding rollover nights, and crediting a night for every $3000 spent on the Marriott Visa card plus the 15 nights for renewing the card each year. As a Lifetime Platinum member who was granfathered in because I joined when the program first started, and also having earned it under the old rules--3 M points, 1000 nights, and many more than 12 years with the program with most of them earned at the Platinum level--I am concerned about watering down of the requirements. I usually get nice upgrades and usually complementary breakfast coupons on weekends at Marriotts by asking nicely (e.g., recently received breakfast coupons for my wife and I at the Mariott Marquis after being upgraded on a certificate stay to a corner room right on Times Square). I can understand Marriott's interest in generating more income, and support this goal because I want the chain to stay in business and continue to provide excellent accommoditions. But if the benefits I have received as a Platinum member are not as available as before these changes to the program, then I will start checking availability of hotels from other chains that can provide equivalent accommodations. I have stayed almost exclusively in Marriott chain hotels for many years, but this will change, if the Platinum perks I have enjoyed are less available. My suggestion is that the requirements for Platinum Premier be made explicit, and this level reserved for people who really have demonstrated their loyalty to Marriott. They should be first in line to receive upgrades, and provided breakfast coupons without having to ask when the lounge is not open on weekends. It would be nice to have the upgrades be best unsold room (suite) in the hotel for the duration of the stay, although not essential. Additional perks would be nice, but these are the two that are highest on my suggestion list.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by lfrank
I have absolutely no information from Marriott, but my guess is that Marriott wants more life time and regular Platinum level members because such people probably generate a lot of income for the hotel chain. We can see evidence of Marriott strategy, e.g., by lowering life-time Platinum point requirements to 2 M, adding rollover nights, and crediting a night for every $3000 spent on the Marriott Visa card plus the 15 nights for renewing the card each year. As a Lifetime Platinum member who was granfathered in because I joined when the program first started, and also having earned it under the old rules--3 M points, 1000 nights, and many more than 12 years with the program with most of them earned at the Platinum level--I am concerned about watering down of the requirements.
My guess (and it is only a guess) is that MR will add a requirement similar to SPG's where a member has to have achieved an elite level for a certain number of years in order to get that level for life. IIRC in SPG's program you need 5 years as a Gold member or 10 years as a Plat member to get that lifetime status level (there are other requirements in addition to years for each LT level).

This would tie in with the idea about eliminating the 12 year requirement since it might actually make it more difficult to achieve a lifetime level.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
My guess (and it is only a guess) is that MR will add a requirement similar to SPG's where a member has to have achieved an elite level for a certain number of years in order to get that level for life. IIRC in SPG's program you need 5 years as a Gold member or 10 years as a Plat member to get that lifetime status level (there are other requirements in addition to years for each LT level).

This would tie in with the idea about eliminating the 12 year requirement since it might actually make it more difficult to achieve a lifetime level.
That's my hypothesis also, along with (possibly) a dollar alternative to the points/nights. But a dollar alternative would likely create a huge amount of work to develop a history (unless the had a well-defined and consistent data architecture and conversion process over the last 15+ years).

I would be fine with this, and I agree that 10 years PLT is even tougher than 12 years as a member (and OK with me, as I have both).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.