Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tijuana Marriott Hotel?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2007, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

Tijuana Marriott Hotel?

All the San Diego hotels are mucho expensive. The Tijuana Marriott Hotel is only $110 a night. I'm thinking I'll stay in Tijuana and commute to San Diego for the few things I want to see there. I visited Tijuana a long time ago and quite enjoyed the craziness. What am I getting myself into as far as the hotel, the city and the commute? Comments please!
Old Aug 24, 2007, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The commute across the border has probably gotten MUCH worse since last tiem you were there. Plan on waits of an hour plus if you intend to commute each day by automobile. Speaking of autos, many US rental agencies will not allow you to take your car into Mexico.

As for TJ itself, I've never seen the attractrion for anyone old enough to drink on this side of the border.
Old Aug 25, 2007, 8:58 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Tijuana is a hole,a dirty congested, dangerous hole.
Why anyone not looking for cheap booze,sex,and drugs(both legal and illegal)would even think of staying there is beyond me.
Old Aug 25, 2007, 11:33 am

Programs: HH Silver IHG Platinum
Why are the Tijuana properties missing photos?
Old Aug 25, 2007, 2:21 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent/MR Gold/ HH Diamond/National/MGM/Amex
honestly, i would stay WAY AWAY from TJ if your over 21. Back in the undergrad days we loved it...until we were 20 and knew better. Its gotten a lot worse in the past few years as well, much like Rocky Point MX.
Old Aug 25, 2007, 3:58 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
I don't think anyone has responded who has stayed there.

1. The Marriott, listed as Tijuana, actually in Rio Del Mar (?) is one of the hidden jewels of the entire Marriott system. It has its own golf course. It is a Residence Inn so you get a bigger room and a decent free breakfast. It has a private off-ramp from the toll road (it is actually located about 15 minutes south of Tijuana). It is on a hillside with great views of the golf course and the ocean. (Don't expect much service - it is a small RI and you carry your own bags most of the time.)

2. Do NOT consider staying and commuting to San Diego. The wait by car can OFTEN exceed 2 hours, and just about always exceeds 1 hour (by a lot). I have waited over 3 hours.
Old Aug 25, 2007, 6:18 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by AvalancheZ71
Why are the Tijuana properties missing photos?
They were stolen
Old Aug 25, 2007, 6:20 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by sbrower

1. The Marriott, listed as Tijuana, actually in Rio Del Mar (?) is one of the hidden jewels of the entire Marriott system. It has its own golf course. It is a Residence Inn so you get a bigger room and a decent free breakfast. It has a private off-ramp from the toll road (it is actually located about 15 minutes south of Tijuana). It is on a hillside with great views of the golf course and the ocean. (Don't expect much service - it is a small RI and you carry your own bags most of the time.)

2. Do NOT consider staying and commuting to San Diego. The wait by car can OFTEN exceed 2 hours, and just about always exceeds 1 hour (by a lot). I have waited over 3 hours.

One could keep their auto on the US side and take cabs to and from the border.
Old Aug 25, 2007, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Originally Posted by sbrower

I think the OP is reffering to a NEW FS Marriott http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...arriott-hotel/ -I remember seeing something about this in the new properties thread.
Thanks for the review of the Rio Del Mar property-strange they let such a great location be serviced by a RI

Last edited by bigguyinpasadena; Aug 25, 2007 at 6:42 pm
Old Aug 27, 2007, 5:09 pm

Programs: HH Silver IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by rebadc
They were stolen
In TIJ, I would not doubt that one bit. I walked across the border once, and it did not take me long to walk back across.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 8:47 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by rebadc
One could keep their auto on the US side and take cabs to and from the border.
The wait to walk across the border can also exceed one hour.
Old Aug 28, 2007, 3:53 pm

Programs: US GP; MR PL
hysterical rebadc!!! made me laugh out loud...stolen...priceless...

seriously though, why in the world would you want to stay in Tijuana? if you aren't driving, the walk thru security is a breeze and there is always the light rail to take you to Sandy Eggo...
Old Sep 2, 2007, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Ooooh yeah!

I arrived at the Tijuana Marriott after 1AM and spent the day and evening exploring the city. I think it's terrific! This place has far more personality than most US cities I've visited in the past ten years. While Tijuana is has slums and run-down neighborhoods, it is thankfully free of strip malls that so litter the American landscape. Beggars? Yeah, but far fewer than I've seen in other North American cities.

The food is inexpensive and terrific, the drinks are inexpensive and terrific. The bargains are terrific (later today I'll be picking up a fabulous leather coat at a fraction of the price I've seen elsewhere). Renal cars are cheap and the Baja coast is a fascinating drive. I've not hit the beach yet, but the surf is up.

Once I had a chance to look around, I didn't bother reconsidering commuting to San Diego. This place has more than enough distractions for a long weekend. (Although i do intend to spend Monday there.)

As far as the hotels are concerned (I've gone from the Tijuana Marriott to the Residence Inn), I am both pleased and impressed! I'll prepare a review of the hotels later, but for now, I recommend this area for a weekend holiday to anyone looking for something beyond a McDonald/Disney adventure.
Old Sep 2, 2007, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL status lost across the board.
Originally Posted by fraidofheights

if you aren't driving, the walk thru security is a breeze
No, it often times is not. The last 3 times I went across the border before moving last month, the wait to get back was 2-3 hours.

On another note, it is not just the wait to get into the US that takes forever, the trip back can be long as well.

If you want to go to San Diego, stay in or around the place. If you are willing to drive check out some of the neighborhoods and the suburbs. Just a quick check of dates next month pulled up some rooms in La Jolla for ~$150.
Old Sep 2, 2007, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL status lost across the board.
Ha, checking hotel prices and the review posts...oh well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.