Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

(Pre-2019) Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Shanghai, China

Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

(Pre-2019) Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Shanghai, China

Old Mar 11, 2005, 4:18 pm
Community Director Emerita

I did the trip in reverse last month. I stayed at the JW Marriott (beautiful property and a great location) and took a taxi to the airport. It took about 20 minutes. I don't remember what I paid, but it wasn't much - a few dollars. Consider taking a taxi rather than using the hotel service. Get your hotel in Beijing to write out a taxi card for the JW Marriott in Shanghai. Taxi drivers don't speak English, and this is indispensable. Taxis run on the meter. They are very easy to use in Shanghai.
Old Mar 24, 2005, 4:53 am

Programs: BAEC gold, Marriott gold, Hilton gold
Marriott to open new luxury apartments in Shanghai in 2006

Marriott to open new luxury apartments in Shanghai in 2006
BEIJING (AFX) - Marriott International (NYSE: MAR - news) (NYSE MAR) said it will open a new luxury development - Marriott Executive Apartments -- in Shanghai in 2006 under a management agreement with a local property developer.
The 223-unit property will be Marriott's fourth Executive Apartments facility in China and its eighth property in the city, the hotel group said in a statement.
Since its debut in China in 1997, Marriott has been branching out aggressively.
It is now represented on the mainland and in Hong Kong by some 30 outlets under the JW Marriott, Ritz-Carlton, Marriott, Renaissance, New World, Courtyard by Marriott and Marriott Executive Apartments brands.
The number of its outlets here will rise to 50 by the end of this year, Marriott sales and marketing executive Daniel Lai told XFN-Asia in an earlier interview.
[email protected]
Old Jan 4, 2006, 1:50 am
Suspended

Red face Renaissance Shanghai Pudong

is Renaissance Shanghai Pudong near the airport or near the Bund? or in the middle of nowhere? how is the room and service?
appriciate any inputs.
Old Jan 4, 2006, 9:47 pm
Suspended

Question

nobody stayed at this hotel before?
Old Jan 9, 2006, 6:43 am

I just stayed there for one night then switched to JW Marriott the next morning.

Basically it's in the middle of no where (almost equal distance to both airports in Shanghai), and from what I have seen, it's a hotel for the tourist groups. Quite new, fairly furnished, but too far away from everything. Comparable to CY in Shanghai Pudong or the other Renaissance in Shanghai. But JW Marriott at tomorrow square won my vote. I just love that building!

Forgot to say, you can walk to the bund from JW too, but not any other Marriott hotels.

Last edited by 777fans; Jan 9, 2006 at 6:46 am
Old Jan 9, 2006, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mama
is Renaissance Shanghai Pudong near the airport or near the Bund? or in the middle of nowhere? how is the room and service?
appriciate any inputs.
It's in the middle of nowhere but, to a certain extent, so is Pudong (it's across the river). It's about a 20-30 minute cab ride to the Bund if there's not much traffic, about 30 minutes to the airport. We stayed there last March for about a week.

Pudong, by the way, is spectacular -- beautiful new buildings, stunning architecture, nice landscaping. It's one of the most impressive cities I've seen anywhere in the world.

The physical facility is very nice, with nice rooms, a nice lobby, etc. Our experience (my wife is from China and is in a position to judge), is that the staff have a look-down-their-nose attitude. People in Shanghai, in general, tend to be a little "New Yorky," but it was really apparent at the Renaissance Shanghai Pudong. As an example, our stay there was free, on points, so it was worth the money. We had a problem when we checked in, in that the hotel clerk wanted to charge us tax. I showed my reservation confirmation, which expressly said "taxes included," but was told, "the policy changed." I escalated it to the manager, who I can only describe as smarmy and condescending, and who would not budge. The amount in question was only about $100 so I decided it wasn't worth pursuing with Marriott corporate. My experience of the hotel was, however, one of the factors that motivated me to switch to Starwood.

Virtually everywhere else I've ever stayed in China (and I've been around a bit), I've been made to feel welcomed and my business valued. I did not feel that, in the least, at the Renaissance.

Gee, it feels good to finally get that off my chest!
Old Jan 9, 2006, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, Marriott Titanium & LT Platinum, Avis PC, Hertz PC
It's a good place to stay if you have business at the New International Fairgrounds which are about 5 minutes away.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 10:41 pm
Suspended

Renaissance Yangtze Shanghai Hotel

Did anyone stay at this hotel before? How is the location(distance from city center), service...etc.
I would appreciate any opinions on this hotel.
Thanks.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 1:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Mama
Did anyone stay at this hotel before? How is the location(distance from city center), service...etc.
I would appreciate any opinions on this hotel.
Thanks.
location is ok, especially because it's on yan'an rd. but, definitely 10-15 minutes west from most places you'd want to go.
Old Feb 24, 2006, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Premier Executive, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Platinum
JW Marriott vs Westin Shanghai

I am trying to decide between the Westin and the JW. Any thoughts or experiences? (I understand this is the Marriott forum so may be a little biased)
Old Feb 24, 2006, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by harinig
I am trying to decide between the Westin and the JW. Any thoughts or experiences? (I understand this is the Marriott forum so may be a little biased)
IMO the JW is one of the best hotel deals in all of China. My views were reconfirmed during the Marriott xmas party last year in BJ at Palm Springs. Those guys are on top of their game and the JW is in a great location. The Westin shouldn't even be on your radar (especially, if you or someone you care about is footing the bill).
Old Feb 25, 2006, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA Premier Plat/Marriott Titanium
JW Marriott Shanghai!

I stayed there last year and the year before. Definitely one of my favorite hotels. The location is very good (I grew up in Shanghai). The service is top notch, and the room is very nicely furnished and comfortable. As a gold member, I got to go the concierge lounge for free. Breakfast there is really good. Hopefully my company will send me there again this spring.
Old Feb 27, 2006, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Tried to book the JW Shanghai Xmas 2006/New Year (four nights, various dates tried). JW prices were north of $300/night, no award available. Some nights were available only on Platinum override. In contrast--I could get two rooms at the Grand Hyatt using Gold Passport points any nights I want. Clearly--the demand seems way in favor of the JW.
Old Mar 14, 2006, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Elsewhere on FT people have said that rooms can be had here for ~ $100 / night. Any ideas on how to get that?
Old Mar 14, 2006, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by Doppy
Elsewhere on FT people have said that rooms can be had here for ~ $100 / night. Any ideas on how to get that?
Find an FTer (via PM or in person) with a corporate rate and try to latch on. You'll never see details posted here.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.