Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Shelbourne, Autograph Collection, Dublin, Ireland [Master Thread]

Old Feb 2, 2004, 4:35 am
Original Poster

I just wanted to let everyone know that the Shelbourne in Dublin has officially changed to Marrriott. It's not on the website, but I was able to make a reservation for July with points over the phone.
Old Feb 2, 2004, 11:44 am

Programs: US3, WN, UA, AA, CO
...also the Grosvenor House in London, as of today.
Old Feb 2, 2004, 5:57 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ymcarthur2:
I just wanted to let everyone know that the Shelbourne in Dublin has officially changed to Marrriott. It's not on the website, but I was able to make a reservation for July with points over the phone. </font>
What category is the hotel assigned?

Old Apr 19, 2004, 8:03 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime ExecPlat, LH HON Circle, SQ PPS Solitaire, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Question Any opinions of "The Shelbourne" in Dublin (as versus the Westin in particular)

I need to choose a hotel for a 2 night stay Fri/Sat in late May. I searched and there is very little on this board re. The Shelbourne. (I do understand it is new to the Marriott family).

I am a little taken aback by some very negative comments on Epinions.com, basically saying "hey, for the price, this place is worn, nothing special, and the people there have attitude."

The facts for our dates are:

Shelbourne - 113 euros per night - queen - we are just "regular" Marriott members

Westin - 330 euros per night king - out of reach for us - so we'd use 20K points for 2 nights - we are platinum - could get suite UG possibly

Thanks for any recent comments on the Shelbourne and any comparisons to the Westin, if known.
Old Apr 20, 2004, 4:20 am

Programs: UA Premier, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
I don't have any experience there myself. However, you might want to check the reviews at TripAdvisor.com. Being a new Marriott property, I would expect them to start to resolve current problems. One of the hallmarks of Marriott is that consistent quality of product. That's why many of us stay with them even with the crappy upgrade situation.
Old Apr 20, 2004, 5:04 am
jjj

Westin

The Westin has the best location in Dublin. Also treat elite excellent. I can not remember getting better service in any Hotel.
Old Aug 24, 2004, 7:34 am

Any recent updates on the Shelbourne? Tripadvisor notes that the hotel does not have air conditioning. Can anyone confirm? Fodors seems to love this property.
Old Jan 21, 2005, 3:06 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Plat, AA Plat
Shelbourne Report

*bump*

Last weekend we stayed at the Shelbourne and it was one of my better Marriott experiences ever. I had also read the epinions saying it was a bit dingy and faded, but we decided to give it a shot anyway.

Upon arrival, we heard my favorite words "Due to space availability, we were able to give you a complimentary upgrade Ms. Grendelyn."

We had a huuuuge room with high ceilings on the second floor that looked out on St Stephen's Green. There were complimentary chocolates and a Shelbourne paperweight (what an odd gift??) to welcome us. The toiletries were divine, not the usual Neutrogena sludge. The turndown service included yet more chocolate, spring water, and a triple shot sized bottle of irish whiskey. Apparently the first night there was some confusion about how many were staying, and the second night's turndown service included more whiskey and a mini-bottle of Baileys. I was very amused at the idea of his and hers night time beverages.

The bathroom was huge and clean with double sinks and a powerful shower. The staff could not have been kinder, dispensing directions and umbrellas.

There were several charming restaurants in the hotel, but we opted for a pub meal Friday, light dinner at a wine bar down the street Saturday evening (highly recommended) and Sunday lunch at Browne's (in the next building from the Shelbourne).

Marriott has clearly invested a lot of money in renovating the Shelbourne back to its former glory, and with great success. Overall, very highly recommended.
Old May 8, 2006, 9:50 pm
glg

Shelbourne, Dublin

Anyone know anything about this hotel? Search here says it closed in March of last year. marriott.com says reopening in September. 18 month closure? Anyone know anything about it?
Old May 13, 2006, 5:28 am

Programs: BAEC: Bronze; Marriott: Gold
This is an historic grand hotel in the heart of Dublin.

We were booked to go there last April, but Marriott transferred our reservation to another hotel in the city due to the closure. Marriott even arranged for us to be able to use our points for the stay, even though the alternative hotel was not a Marriott brand.

Marriott purchased the hotel at the end of 2004 and started a large renovation programme whilst trying to keep the hotel open, but decided to close the hotel completely as the renovations were causing too much disruption.

This should be a fantastic hotel once re-opened.

Andy
Old May 13, 2006, 7:17 am

It's going to be amazing when it opens. We were in Dublin a few weeks ago and work is still very much ongoing. Sept re-opening seems optimistic. It's in a great location and should give the local luxury hotels a run for their money. I do hope they can keep some of the original charm and faded grandeur.

On the subject of new openings, has anyone seen the ritz-carlton in Powerscourt gardens. Now that's going to be some hotel...saw the building site not long ago. Such a beautiful location!
Old May 13, 2006, 8:33 am
Original Member

September indeed is optimistic as I beleive the re-opening has been pushed back a couple of times allready. I would like to book some Marriott Platinum Worldwide Reward certificates for March, 2007, but the Gold desk will not allow me to do this until the actual re-opening becomes official. The same thing happened to me, bakera, with Marriott reaccomodating me at the Westbury off of Grafton Street.
Old May 13, 2006, 9:23 am

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, BA Executive Blue, IHG Platinum Elite,Kimpton.
Originally Posted by glg
Anyone know anything about this hotel? Search here says it closed in March of last year. marriott.com says reopening in September. 18 month closure? Anyone know anything about it?

Great location with Grafton Street only 2 mins away, certainly if I ws going to be staying in Dublin I would be looking to stay in this area.
Old Mar 11, 2007, 10:42 am

Programs: United 1K (GS Refugee), Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Avis Chairman's Club
Shelbourne - Any recent experiences after renovations?

No recent posts on trip advisor or here and planning a few nights in Dublin enroute to cottage in West for a week.
Old Mar 11, 2007, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA P, BA S, A3 *G, IHG Plat, Marriott Lt P, Hilton Gld, etc.
it is opened

Looks like it is opened as we speak (at least they accept reservations for tomorrow that is). It is Renaissance now (I think it was Marriott before). I am planning to stay there in June. Note the following: I gave them phone call about 2 weeks ago and they dont have any parking options (neither garage nor valet) and they won't have fitness center until end of the year.

AX

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.