Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Renaissance Worthington – Fort Worth, TX [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2006, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: 2008 FT1 Fantasy Football Champion

Stayed at the Worthington this past Friday & Saturday night while attending the Fort Worth Arts Festival and the Fort Worth DO. Even though I live about 10 minutes away from downtown Fort Worth, my wife and I decided to stay downtown for the weekend due to the number of people expected downtown and the fact that we would probably be drinking.

Parking – Due to the Arts Festival, self-park was not available, only valet. Both drop-off and pick-up with the valet seemed efficient. Valet parking cost $16 a day; self-parking is $12 a day.

Check-in – I used an EEO for this stay, and the check in woman had no idea what to do with it. After about 10 minutes of conferring with a co-worker, she figured out how to enter it into the system, and gave me 2 keys to my king smoking on the 5th floor. She also gave me a strip of festival coupons. She did not mention anything about the lounge, and I forgot to ask (but it turned out to be open all weekend).

Room – The room was quite large, and was a strange pentagonal shape. Contained desk, 2 desk chairs, stuffed chair & ottoman, padded bench, 2 nightstands. The bed was free-standing, with both a headboard and footboard. The mattress and bedding looked new (duvet), so I believe it was the Amazing Bed or whatever they are calling it now. Dresser was built into the armoire. Standard 20 in or so hotel TV. Around 20 cable channels. Iron & ironing board, 2 luggage stands. Floor-to-ceiling windows on outside wall.

I would estimate the room was 20x30 or thereabouts. Predominant colors in the room were red and gold, with a southwestern theme. Interestingly, there were 2 recent issues of Western Interiors along with the standard tourist magazine/book fare.

Minor complaint - there were plenty of lamps, but not enough wattage in the bulbs, so the room was somewhat dim with the curtains closed.

Bathroom – Toiletries were by Lather. Shampoo/Conditioner/Lotion/Makeup Wipes/Boot Shiner . Low single piece streamlined toilet. Tub/shower had one of those curtain rods that bowed out, so there was plenty of room in the shower. 4 bath towels, 3 wash cloths, 3 hand towels.

Lounge – The concierge floor is the 8th floor, and is controlled access via a card swiper in the elevators. The lounge is open to the floor (no doors on the entryways). They served breakfast and evening snacks during the weekend. Perhaps 8-10 tables, and a few couches/chairs. Large fridge with all manner of sodas (Pepsi products) and bottled water, available 24/7. Useless Today, WSJ, and Ft. Worth Star-Telegram in ample supply.

Friday night, the snacks were fruit, cheese, toasted cheese bread, eggrolls, and pastries. Honor bar.

Saturday morning – Breakfast foods were scrambled eggs, sliced cold turkey breast (?), bagels, croissants, pastries, fruit, and cereal. There were 3-4 coffee urns, but I didn’t look to see what they had besides caf & decaf.
We didn’t partake of the lounge Saturday night or Sunday morning.

Check-out – The EEO didn’t go through, so I went down to the lobby early with another copy of the cert to fix the problem. This time, the front desk woman went in the back for about 15 minutes, and then came out and printed a corrected folio.

Other – The elevators are kinda tucked away behind an escalator.

Friday night, there seemed to be a lot of young women running around in the hallways being noisy, but it didn’t bother me enough to complain. Saturday there didn’t seem to be any extraneous noise, which surprised me because there were 2 proms at the hotel Saturday night, but it could have been that both my wife and I were too exhausted to notice.

Overall, I liked the hotel. The rooms were larger than average and the location is good for browsing downtown Ft. Worth. The hotel is also celebrating their 25th anniversary this year.

Last edited by empedocles; Apr 26, 2006 at 5:56 pm
Old Apr 26, 2006, 6:05 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I was at this hotel for the same event. Only thing I would add to the excellent review above is the heath club.

The health club is located on the third floor and consists of two large rooms, an indoor pool and sauna, and a tanning deck. The first room contains the admin desk (none on duty while I was there) the stereo equipment, and lockers. There is a small section for free weights and and adjoining section for the fitness machines - there are abour eight of these. There are at least four treadmills and a variety of other units, such as stationary bikes, stairmasters, etc. The second room looks like it could be used for excersize classes. The indoor pool is very shallow (3' - 4' deep) but long enough to swim laps. There is also a spa and sauna.

Lockers are also provided, if needed.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 5:00 pm

Anyone stayed here recently? Thinking about taking a weekend trip with the wife.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA EP; Bonvoy Platinum: Hilton Gold
Taking the wife there Memorial Day, would be interested to hear as well.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 11:18 pm

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
Well...I stayed there for last years SuperBowl festivities (15 months ago).....and the review that was mentioned above is pretty spot on then.....I like the area close to everything as well as the stockyards...it was a little chilly those 4 days...but a great experience if you like a laid back side of the Metroplex....YMMV....
Old Apr 9, 2012, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by goingbananas
Well...I stayed there for last years SuperBowl festivities (15 months ago).....and the review that was mentioned above is pretty spot on then.....I like the area close to everything as well as the stockyards...it was a little chilly those 4 days...but a great experience if you like a laid back side of the Metroplex....YMMV....
Wife and I enjoy laid back. 
Old Apr 9, 2012, 10:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Anyone know if the exec lounge is open on the weekend? If not, do they provide brekkie coupons? If not, is it key accessible for soda? Free i-net terminals or wifi?

Please post & I'll update the exec lounge sticky.

Cheers.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 10:42 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
I have stayed in this hotel 5 times as it is now the preferred hotel for our corporate office.

Stay #1- received repeated obscene phone calls.

Stay #2 - asked for an upgrade to a suite. Received one that was in the process of being painted...with the painters still in the room. I thought perhaps they were my Plat Amenity- but then remembered I had requested points.

Stay#3 - ordered room service. Poured coffee from carafe and a quite large bug came along for the ride.

Stay#4 - was not placed on the CL floor. When I enquired why, was told that one had to be a Marriott Rewards member to be placed there. Desk agent repeatedly told me my MR number was invalid. Management intervention was needed.

Stay#5 - desk clerk asked for my ID, it was provided, and check in was complete....into a room with a lovely fruit and cheese platter. Which was half eaten, as the room was occupied.

Needless to say, not my fav property.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by sophiegirl
I have stayed in this hotel 5 times as it is now the preferred hotel for our corporate office.

Stay #1- received repeated obscene phone calls.

Stay #2 - asked for an upgrade to a suite. Received one that was in the process of being painted...with the painters still in the room. I thought perhaps they were my Plat Amenity- but then remembered I had requested points.

Stay#3 - ordered room service. Poured coffee from carafe and a quite large bug came along for the ride.

Stay#4 - was not placed on the CL floor. When I enquired why, was told that one had to be a Marriott Rewards member to be placed there. Desk agent repeatedly told me my MR number was invalid. Management intervention was needed.

Stay#5 - desk clerk asked for my ID, it was provided, and check in was complete....into a room with a lovely fruit and cheese platter. Which was half eaten, as the room was occupied.

Needless to say, not my fav property.
Wow - it wouldn't be mine either if I had those experiences!

Cheers.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 11:52 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
A little update/second opinion...not too argue with sophie's poor experience, but I generally have good luck at this property. It's very well situated, the lounge is up to standards, and the rooms can be quite nice if you secure an upgrade...which only occurs if you ask, IME...but if you do, happens often. Avoid the Starbucks in the mezzanine, the machine is poorly adjusted. Ample free parking is available roadside if you arrive after 6 and depart before 8, as I do, and if you are a cheapskate, as I am (gov't rate). I have had two air conditioning issues (inop A/C last summer, and inop heat this winter) but they were repaired quickly. A nice bunch of bonus MR points was posted to my account without me saying anything on the second event.

The staff is generally friendly, but you will encounter several who lack training...but eventually others will show up and get the job done. This is not up to par for this brand, but not too awful.

An easy walk to some great watering holes, a relatively luxurious experience, and for gov't rate, I'll stay there any day over the same priced "CY boonies."

Note: In trying to book several stays in the next few months, I have been unable to get the per diem rate, and the availability shows nothing all year after this week. Not sure if they are still working on it, or have decided they don't need my kind at their hotel, but hopefully my days there are not over.

I should add that the external renovation, which I believe ends by April, is not really an issue if you are on a business stay and gone during the day.

Last edited by orca15; Jan 1, 2013 at 11:57 am
Old Jan 1, 2013, 12:19 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by orca15
A little update/second opinion...not too argue with sophie's poor experience, but I generally have good luck at this property. It's very well situated, the lounge is up to standards, and the rooms can be quite nice if you secure an upgrade...which only occurs if you ask, IME...but if you do, happens often. Avoid the Starbucks in the mezzanine, the machine is poorly adjusted. Ample free parking is available roadside if you arrive after 6 and depart before 8, as I do, and if you are a cheapskate, as I am (gov't rate). I have had two air conditioning issues (inop A/C last summer, and inop heat this winter) but they were repaired quickly. A nice bunch of bonus MR points was posted to my account without me saying anything on the second event.

The staff is generally friendly, but you will encounter several who lack training...but eventually others will show up and get the job done. This is not up to par for this brand, but not too awful.

An easy walk to some great watering holes, a relatively luxurious experience, and for gov't rate, I'll stay there any day over the same priced "CY boonies."

Note: In trying to book several stays in the next few months, I have been unable to get the per diem rate, and the availability shows nothing all year after this week. Not sure if they are still working on it, or have decided they don't need my kind at their hotel, but hopefully my days there are not over.

I should add that the external renovation, which I believe ends by April, is not really an issue if you are on a business stay and gone during the day.
Oh, I don't necessarily disagree with your assessment, more that I think one should expect better from a Ren...especially as we are outlining many of the same "service related" issues. At what point does a hotel of this caliber actually FIX their training problems?

I was there in Dec, did not receive a room on the CL, and when I asked why, was told (direct quote) "that is an upgrade...and you weren't selected to receive it". OK, but I also did not get a room that even came close to meeting my profile, nor was my Plat amenity ever delivered.

But, like you, I have received A LOT of compensation points from this hotel, so....

NOTE - in Dec, they were doing work INSIDE the hotel, we actually had to change conference rooms due to the noise. Not sure if that was a one off, or ongoing.

Last edited by sophiegirl; Jan 2, 2013 at 2:48 am
Old Jan 2, 2013, 2:02 am

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
It seems to me, from the recent posts, that this hotel has fallen far since the last time I stayed there, which was about 30 months ago. What a shame, it was a Fort Worth Grande Dame, so to speak. My mother was from Fort Worth, and my grandparents lived there always, so I know this hotel, and the city, well. I hope that they clean up their act, if not it would be a loss of one of my favorites.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 7:08 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Originally Posted by USirritated
It seems to me, from the recent posts, that this hotel has fallen far since the last time I stayed there, which was about 30 months ago. What a shame, it was a Fort Worth Grande Dame, so to speak. My mother was from Fort Worth, and my grandparents lived there always, so I know this hotel, and the city, well. I hope that they clean up their act, if not it would be a loss of one of my favorites.
Asuming they open up gov't rate, I will certainly be staying here more than once in the next couple of months, and I will let you know how it goes. Hopefully sophie will do the same, and lets keep our fingers crossed that she no longer is required to share rooms with previous occupants! It certainly is a beautiful lobby!
Old Jan 2, 2013, 8:08 am

I stayed there over several years.

It's a nice hotel, a lot better than local Courtyards, but fills up very quickly, especially the government rate rooms.

There is a public parking garage down the street, which has free overnight parking, I think from 6pm to 8am weekdays. A lot of good restaurants within easy walking distance. Downtown area is pretty safe.

The only downside is that they do get crickets in the rooms, so be aware.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by chitownjeff
The only downside is that they do get crickets in the rooms, so be aware.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.