Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott in Dayton, OH

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2006, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Platinum, Accor Silver, Choice Privileges Gold
Marriott in Dayton, OH

Will be staying there in mid to late March. Anyone know anything about it? Got a rate reserved for those attending a conference; wonder how many points I'll get. Have just over 15k now. tls
Old Feb 1, 2006, 7:34 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, working my way back up to AS and Marriott elite status post-baby!
I stayed there at the end of October. It was not very impressive. It was definitely in need of a face lift -- rather dark and old-looking. Also, it was not close to any restaurants or other entertainment. Downtown is about a 10 min drive away. On the plus side, the gym was quite nice (good range of fairly new equipment, sauna available), the in-hotel restaurant was decent, and the staff was nice. I was only Silver at the time, so I can't comment on upgrades or anything.
Old Feb 1, 2006, 8:42 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
A Marriott of a certain style of yesteryear, but nicely maintained. I remember that the unimpressive wine at the honor bar in the concierge lounge was more expensive than the unimpressive wine in the hotel's bar.

It seems to me there was a time when Marriott built fs hotels on the fringes of smaller/medium cities; low rise structures sort of like super-deluxe Holiday Inns. There's one in Fort Wayne by the freeway and there used to be one in Ann Arbor. The Dayton Marriott sort of reminds me of those properties.
Old Feb 2, 2006, 11:20 am

Programs: Marriott, United
Hit 75th night on Jan 29 and was upgraded to Plat
Old Feb 2, 2006, 12:26 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by luv2travel066
Hit 75th night on Jan 29 and was upgraded to Plat
Welcome to Flyertalk. Since there doesn't appear to be a relationship between your post and this thread, I'm assuming you meant to start a new thread?
Old Feb 28, 2006, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Platinum, Accor Silver, Choice Privileges Gold
Thanks for the responses. Guess this won't be the Taj Mahal, but more than acceptable. I don't have status with Marriott, so won't get an upgrade. In fact, we're getting a rate set aside for those attending a conference, so I'll probably get the dumpiest room there. Hopefully I'll still get points ... As far as location is concerned, there's a shuttle bus running between the conference and Marriott, and some of the conference will be at the Marriott, so I figure this is the place to be. Thanks again. (This will be my 2d stay, totalling nights 5-7 this year at a Marriott. Who knows, maybe I'll even get status by the end of the year ...) thx again; tls
Old Mar 3, 2006, 1:20 pm

I stay at this property about 5 nights a year. It is an older property that needs a face lift, but it is clean and actually has some of the nicest front desk staff I have ever encountered. The gym is a cut above most Marriott gyms, the breakfast buffett at the restaurant is very good and the sports bar has Guinness on tap.

While it appears to be in the middle of nowhere, there are good restaurants within 5 minutes. My recommendation is The Pine Club, which has great food. But bring cash; they do not take credit cards.
Old Mar 3, 2006, 2:04 pm

I have stayed at this property many times for usually under $40/night through Priceline. I would compare it a Holiday Inn.
Old Mar 27, 2006, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Checked out yesterday after spending 3 nights here. Property was nicer than expected, but that is the beauty of having low expectations! As noted by previous posters, no restaurants w/i walking distance (other than the hotel one), but all my meals were part of the conference I was participating in. It was pretty close (altho probably not quite walking distance for most folks) to U. of Dayton (althou a few folks did walk). The key card they gave me said "Elite Member" on it. However, I'm not elite for Marriott, so I'm not sure what the deal was there. Perhaps they say that on all the cards? My points have not yet posted. Anyone know how long it usually takes? I now have 2 stays and 8 nights at Marriotts this year (Islamabad and Dayton). Wonder if I'll get status this year ... (Btw, $40/night is very impressive. Will definitely remember Priceline if I go back there. tls
Old Mar 27, 2006, 3:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Diamond, Hilton Silver
I live in Dayton and I have actually stayed at this Marriott a few times when going out in Dayton and not wanting to drive. It is an older Marriott for sure, but it does have a few nice features. One of the more interesting ones is the Courtyard area/bar they setup in the Summer and have bands on the weekends.....be aware of getting an inward facing room anytime after about April 15th........

The pool is also odd....in that it is basically located in the bar area as well and is an indoor/outdoor pool. If you want to swim during the spring/summer season make sure you do it before the bar opens of you will be swimming amongst many people.

Anyway, if anyone is ever in Dayton...I would strongly recommend hitting the Old Hickory for BBQ Ribs and it is an easy/short cab ride from the Marriott...located on Brown Street....

Lastly, They are building a brand new Courtyard just up the street but it will not be open until late fall...

That Marriott is generally considered a party hotel in Dayton.......

Dagwood
Old Mar 27, 2006, 3:45 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by thelostshark
Checked out yesterday after spending 3 nights here. Property was nicer than expected, but that is the beauty of having low expectations! As noted by previous posters, no restaurants w/i walking distance (other than the hotel one), but all my meals were part of the conference I was participating in. It was pretty close (altho probably not quite walking distance for most folks) to U. of Dayton (althou a few folks did walk). The key card they gave me said "Elite Member" on it. However, I'm not elite for Marriott, so I'm not sure what the deal was there. Perhaps they say that on all the cards? My points have not yet posted. Anyone know how long it usually takes? I now have 2 stays and 8 nights at Marriotts this year (Islamabad and Dayton). Wonder if I'll get status this year ... (Btw, $40/night is very impressive. Will definitely remember Priceline if I go back there. tls
Points normally take about 3 business days to post, IME.
Old Apr 10, 2006, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LPCJr
Points normally take about 3 business days to post, IME.
I checked out of this hotel on Mar. 26 and my points & nights have still not posted. Guess I will have to fax in a missing stay request. Don't understand this, as the front desk told me (unsolicited) that my rewards # was in the system. [Sigh ...] I spend more time chasing this stuff down ... tls
Old Dec 26, 2006, 11:46 pm

sorry to bump an old thread... i'm staying here on 1/7 to 1/20 for 13 nights... coming in from California on business.... any upgrades or opinions on the property... thanks!
Old Dec 27, 2006, 11:30 am

Programs: HH Silver IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by ohmark
A Marriott of a certain style of yesteryear, but nicely maintained. I remember that the unimpressive wine at the honor bar in the concierge lounge was more expensive than the unimpressive wine in the hotel's bar.

It seems to me there was a time when Marriott built fs hotels on the fringes of smaller/medium cities; low rise structures sort of like super-deluxe Holiday Inns. There's one in Fort Wayne by the freeway and there used to be one in Ann Arbor. The Dayton Marriott sort of reminds me of those properties.

Funny you should mention the correlation between the older smaller/medium size Marriotts and super-deluxe Holiday Inns. The EVV MI seems to be very similar to the HI in Bloomington, IL.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Thread bump:

Any recent stays @ this Marriott? Has it been updated?

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.