Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Wentworth by the Sea, A Marriott Hotel & Spa, NH [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2004, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US 1 Mar Plt Hertz PC

One of my best Marriott experiences--ever!

Keeping in mind that it is January in coastal New Hampshire, this property exceeded most if not all expectations I have for Marriott.

Upon check in I was told that they had saved a "special room" for me as a plat member. They presented me with a leather bound book and asked me to select my plat amenity. The selections were unlike any other domestic property I have seen--I settled on the Clos du Bois Chardonnay and the Mashuga Choc-Chip shortbread cookies.
I was shown to the Admirals suite, on the top floor in the central turret. This suite is located on the 5th floor of a 4 story property with a private stairwell leading up from the 4th floor hallway. The round central window overlooks the bay and ocean. The room furnishings are traditional New England and truly exquisite highlighted by the 8' four poster king size bed. Oil on canvas paintings on all the walls, truly a first class suite on coastal New Hampshire.
I ate dinner at the hotel restaurant and found it very good, far exceeding the traditional Marriott dining experience. (and also looking to maximize the soon ending double points offer).
I was told that they are particularly sensitive to providing a great experience to plat MR members.
I wish I could comment on the outdoor activities, but considering it is 10 degrees and snowing, I cannot. The inside pool and fitness center are great, the snow covered golf course is right next door, the spa appears very nice. I am looking forward to returning next summer for several days to take advantage of all the outside activities.
ALL the staff I encountered were great and appeared truly concerned that I was pleased with my stay.
For any platinum member who needs a good Marriott "fix", I recommend this property.
My hats off to Marriott and the hotel ownership--you have done a great job.

It is good to see the resurrection of a gorgeous 19th century landmark into a functional 21st century resort destination--great vision!!!
Old Jan 9, 2004, 5:26 pm

Programs: Northwest-millionair; Marriott, lifetime gold
We, too, have just returned today from Wentworth by the Sea. It was a wonderful experience in a beautiful facility. The service was excellent, the staff always helpful, and the dining room menu creative and delicious. Though mere golds could not expect the Admiral's Suite ( and especially as you were probably in it), we did have a suite with a large living area, fireplace, and a hot tub.
Old Oct 18, 2004, 2:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Silver, Hilton Gold, Delta Silver, dabbling in USAirways
Marriott Wentworth by the Sea (New Hampshire)

This looks like a great hotel, and a newer Marriott property at that, but their website makes no mention of the difference between suites. There is a Grand Commander Suite that is listed as available, although the website touts its "Little Harbor Marina Suites" as being the best suites which is, in their words, "the place to stay". Of course the Little Marina Suites are not mentioned on the webiste, leading me to believe these are the same as the suites in standard Marriott properties that are kept hidden away from the public unless we specifically ask.

Just wondering if anyone has stayed here, and what your thoughts on the hotel were. This would actually be a leisure stay, not business, so if it isn't as great as the website is leading me to believe, just let me know.
Old Oct 18, 2004, 8:14 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
I Stayed There

We stayed in this hotel just after July 4th, for 2 nights on an award. My comments are as follows:

1. This is a beautiful building. It was closed for about 30 (?) years, and was saved from the wrecking ball by investors. It sits on a small hill in the middle of a small island in a harbor area. Just lovely.

2. The Concierge Lounge was small. But the service was excellent. For the breakfast they set up omlettes cooked to order. But the equipment was insufficient and they were unable to get it replaced.

3. The rooms were nice, the pool area was fine, we didn't eat in the restaurants (even though it was raining the entire time we were there).

4. Here is my summary opinion. This one is *highly* subjective (although confirmed by at least two employees there). This is an "investor" hotel which isn't performing as well as they hoped. As a result, they spent a fortune on the renovation, but they don't have a really good operating budget for capital improvement. So, when the omlette cookers in the Concierge Lounge break, they request a new one (an item under $100), but they can't get one.
Old Oct 19, 2004, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mazey
This looks like a great hotel, and a newer Marriott property at that, but their website makes no mention of the difference between suites. There is a Grand Commander Suite that is listed as available, although the website touts its "Little Harbor Marina Suites" as being the best suites which is, in their words, "the place to stay". Of course the Little Marina Suites are not mentioned on the webiste, leading me to believe these are the same as the suites in standard Marriott properties that are kept hidden away from the public unless we specifically ask.

Just wondering if anyone has stayed here, and what your thoughts on the hotel were. This would actually be a leisure stay, not business, so if it isn't as great as the website is leading me to believe, just let me know.
Welcome to Flyertalk!
Wentworth by the Sea is a wonderful property.

I recommend you do a search on this forum for many previous posts
Old Oct 24, 2004, 8:26 pm

I just returned from the Wentworth

My wife and I just returned from a leisure 3 day trip to the Wentworth by the Sea. It was our first trip to New Hampshire.

The check in was quick and courteous. We were given room 501. When we got into the elevator, we saw there were only 4 floors. It turns out that room 501 as well as the Admirals Suite are a short stair climb from the 4th floor in the middle "tower". As you look at the hotel exterior, you will notice three towers. The round window in the center tower is for room 501, and the windows above is for the Admirals Suite. Our room was large and beautifully decorated. I can't say for sure but it appeared that some of the bathroom furnishings were antique.

The hotel has a great fitness center. My wife enjoyed it every day we were there. The pool was beautiful and to my wife and my surprise it was never used. We were able to enjoy this pool area and hot tub to ourselves. It was well supplied and the temperature was perfect.

The grounds were immaculate. There was plenty of places to walk around by ourselves. The bell service was slightly lacking but there was no pressure to use the valet service. We parked our own car for free.

We ate at the restaurant twice for dinner and once for breakfast. Service was adequate and the food was adequate also. The menu lacks the variety that we prefer but the prices charged were well within line of what you would expect at a 4 star hotel like this. We drove into Hampton, NH twice and ate at a restaurant called the Old Salt Eating and Drinking Place -- if staying at the Wentworth, you can be there in about 10 minutes and I highly recommend it.

When we travel, we try to stay at 4 star hotels. This is one of the nicest, if not the nicest places we've ever stayed at. We plan to return some time to spend a 3 day weekend there. I would highly recommend it.

Last edited by mrbluesky; Sep 22, 2005 at 8:10 am
Old Sep 6, 2005, 10:29 am
Community Director Emerita

We had a wonderful stay at this hotel. We almost missed out on getting a suite. There were two weddings in the hotel; one bride had 501, and many of the wedding guests had booked suites. Also, the 100th anniversary of the signing of the Sino-Japanese peace treaty was September 5. There were many dignitaries staying at the hotel, with both a reception and dinner hosted there. But in the end, we did get a pleasant small suite, with 2 bathrooms!

The hotel is reminescent of the Hotel Del in San Diego. It is a lovely wooden Victorian hotel, master of all it surveys with beautiful views over water toward Portsmouth and in the other direction over water out to sea.

As reported above, it was closed for 30 years. We saw pictures of the hotel enclosed by fencing, ready for the wrecking ball. It was purchased 6 years ago, and reopened in 2003. Everything was in top order during our stay, and it was our impression in talking to staff that they are running at high occupancy.

We were impressed by Carol in the Executive Lounge. She has put together a binder covering the history of the hotel. She also has a one page description of a drive to Kennebunkport that goes along the coast. We took it; it was a beautiful drive. She had good advice on restaurants. We ate at
  • Morrisons - lobster on the rough - no sides, but delicious lobster, eaten on a pier overlooking Portsmouth
  • Chaunceys - a few miles north in Maine, one of the most picturesque places to sit and eat lobster I've seen.

These outdoor lobster piers are open roughly between Mothers Day and Colombus Day.

We had good food in the lounge one night; vegetarian sushi, tea sandwiches, and melon soup. The other night, the spread was the most lavish I have ever seen in a lounge. There were large shrimp, oysters, cheeses, blueberries, dried cranberries, and a large tray of roasted vegetables. It was a stunning spread with just 8 or so of us there to enjoy it. There are desserts later in the evening. The lounge is open Sunday - Thursday nights.

Our rate included breakfast, so we ate in the dining room rather than the lounge. I recommend Wentworth eggs. The ham in eggs Benedict is replaced with lobster. Mmmmm.

Internet was free. They had a business center, and told us that computer use there was free as well.

This was really a special hotel, and one I enthusiastically endorse.
Old Sep 8, 2005, 8:56 pm
Original Member

I stayed here at end of July. I was upgraded to a spacious ocean view room with a sitting area and balcony(small). Grounds were clean. Staff was very attentive. Concierge lounge was closed on the weekend. The hotel has matured graciously since the last time I stayed here. My only complaint is the breakfast line in the morning with too many people giving the "do you know who I am" attitude when arriving for breakfast and a staff that seems to give in by bypassing patrons who have been waiting much longer( and no these "patrons" don't have reservations, just arrogance). I, like SANDIEGO 1K also ate at Morrisons (I saw it while crossing the bridge into Maine from N.H. It was indeed a very nice piece of property with seating on a pier overlooking the Piscataqua River. My wife and I had a lackluster lobster roll($14.00@), 1 order of steamer clams($14.00,about 15 or 20 steamers) and 2 soda's($3.00@) for $48.00. I am from Maine and this is what the natives call a ripoff.You can do much better at Warrens just up the street(same river view with some outside seating,larger portions,gigantic salad bar,better food quality) or other establishments that dot the Maine coastline. But back to the hotel; you will be very happy with the overall look and feel of the hotel. It is a property that has been resurrected to its former splendor.

Last edited by general45; Sep 8, 2005 at 9:00 pm
Old Sep 8, 2005, 10:10 pm

Programs: AA, Jetblue (love it for the transcons), Northwest, HHonors, Marriott Rewards, Avis PS, UCLA fan!
I absolutely LOVE this hotel! It's a nice place for me to cash in my MR points since it's a short drive from Boston. Portsmouth, NH is a fabulous place to walk around - the shops and restaurants are fantastic. Kittery, ME is close and has a ton of outlets for bargain shopping. I also recommend driving along the SE coast of ME while you are in the area.
Old Sep 9, 2005, 4:26 pm

Programs: Delta platinum Marriott Plat. Avis Preferred US Air Platinum
I have visited the hotel but did not stay there. It was absolutely beautiful and I think my family would love it. I am planning a stay there with my family next year.

The grounds are beautiful and the hotel itself appears to be first rate. I walked around the hotel and the grounds and loved it. I do not know how they get much business in the winter, as it is somewhat remote, however, in the spring, fall, and summer, they should be packed. I do not know how much advertising they do, as my co-worker found it by accident and we went by to check it out.
Old Sep 11, 2005, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

I stayed there in Jan 04 and on a $99 dollar rate and was upgraded to the Admiral's Suite (501). This is a great property with lots of history and charm. I wasn't able to stay there in the summer, but I would love to go back in warmer weather to take advantage of the golf course and all that the Portsmouth area has to offer. ^
Old Apr 27, 2007, 9:38 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Any updaates?

A close friend of mine is getting married there in 08.
Old Apr 27, 2007, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beachfan
Any updaates?

A close friend of mine is getting married there in 08.
This place is still great--stayed there last summer with the family for 3 nights.

Stay there in the winter all the time--I have business in Maine^
Old Apr 27, 2007, 1:45 pm

Good to hear - i'm going there with my family over Labor Day weekend - will post a trip report thereafter.
Old Apr 27, 2007, 2:51 pm

Programs: AAEXP 3+MM, Marriott Plt and Plt for life, Hyatt Diamond
I have stayed at Wentworth twice. It has been wonderful both times. Be sure to want around the area. There are some beautiful houses in the area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.