Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Washington, DC, area

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Washington, DC, area

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2005, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Leisure - JW because of its location
Business - Renaissance because of its rooms & front desk staff is great there...(sorry, LPCjr, I disagree - the 2 times I've stayed at the Ren, the staff has been great - the one time I stayed at the JW, it wasn't bad, but nothing stood out).
Old Jul 11, 2005, 8:01 am

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
I've stayed at the Mayflower once and the JW three or four times. While the Mayflower is a beautiful hotel (and, I would agree, is better for a business trip), I think that the JW is far better for a leisure trip. It's only about 2-3 blocks to either the Metro Center or Federal Triangle metro stations and the various monuments and Smithsonian museums can easily be walked to from that hotel. If it comes up as a choice when you're booking, I definitely think that it's worth the extra $20/night to upgrade to the guaranteed "city view" room. Only once when I've stayed there did I fail to do this and I was grossly dissapointed with my view that time. Being able to see the Washington Monument/Old Post Office/Capitol out of the room (depending on which part of the building you're in) is great -- especially now that construction on the Washington Monument is done and it's lit up properly again.

Though I've only stayed at the Ren once, I have found the staff at both hotels to be very accomodating. My room at the Ren did have the perk of having the television in the bathroom, which was nice, but other than that I think that the JW is the clear winner for leisure.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 8:56 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Weekend upgrades to suites are typical for plats at Mayflower. I was upgraded to suite the size of an apartment last year. Not much view, but great location (near Dupont Circle) and close to two Metro stops.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
I have stayed at nearly every Marriott or Renaissance in the DC area multiple times. My personal favorite is Metro Center Marriott, which is very convenient to everything. I stay there a couple of dozen nights every year.

Between the two hotels mentioned, I prefer the JW Marriott. I'm not a fan of the Mayflower. It's old, the rooms are small, and some of the staff tend to be officious. It's not the usual Marriott atmosphere. Just my 2 cents. Other people seem to like it.

Bruce
Old Jul 11, 2005, 6:45 pm

Crystal Gateway Marriott in Arlington, Va. is a good deal for $79 per night on weekend.

http://hotels.travelzoo.com/washington-dc-hotels/196646
Old Jul 11, 2005, 9:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis Preferred
Between those two, JW, for the location.
Old Jul 12, 2005, 8:31 am

Programs: BA, Delta, Starwood, Hilton, Hyatt,
JW, excellent location and great views of DC from high floors on Pennsylvania side or right near the corner of 14th and Pennsylvania.
Old Jul 12, 2005, 10:55 am

Programs: US 1 Mar Plt Hertz PC
Another vote for the JW
Personal favorite: Wardman Park
Old Jul 12, 2005, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
I heartily second everything bdschobel said. I don't know what the rates are at the Metro Center the weekend in question, but it's become my consistent favorite in the city. Between the JW and the Mayflower, though, I'd lean pretty strongly towards the JW.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 3:16 am

Programs: UA Silver/ AA EXP/Hyatt Globalist/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
I heartily second everything bdschobel said. I don't know what the rates are at the Metro Center the weekend in question, but it's become my consistent favorite in the city. Between the JW and the Mayflower, though, I'd lean pretty strongly towards the JW.

I believe the Metro Center is also $159. I was just under the assumption that the JW's are nicer. I also personally prefer Renaissance properties. The one in Pittsburgh is far superior to the Marriott. That's why I couldn't decide. I do remember reading about the small rooms at the Mayflower, and I appreciate the confirmation on that.

I have stayed at the Grand Hyatt (personal preference but with the buy 1 get 1 free weekend nights, it is hard to turn down the Marriott). It is also at the Metro Center. It was nice. Should I add the Metro Center to my list? Is it nicer than the JW or is it just location that rules?

BTW, the Crystal City isn't $79 that weekend. There's something going on in Arlington that weekend because all the DCA hotels are more expensive than normal. And with the certificate, it makes sense to spend a bit more because it is still a bargain.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 5:58 am

jw location.......and room size
Old Jul 18, 2005, 7:12 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2 Million-miler , SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond
JW for location
Old Jul 18, 2005, 10:19 am

Programs: United 1K, MR Plat, SPG Plat
JW for location. Your are two blocks from the White House, three blocks from the Washington Monument and Smithsonian Museums! We have elderly family friends who stay there every year and love it and the staff treat them quite well.

RIP...
Old Jul 18, 2005, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by chicaloca453
I believe the Metro Center is also $159. I was just under the assumption that the JW's are nicer. I also personally prefer Renaissance properties.
Should I add the Metro Center to my list? Is it nicer than the JW or is it just location that rules?
I'm with you 100%, though I've had enough average Renaissance stays to make me wonder why I still *THINK* they're a cut above! Anyway, the JW DC was my first JW property and I honestly didn't understand the difference--it feels just like any other Marriott to me. I had a pretty poor stay my last time at the Mayflower, so I just don't recommend them anymore. The Metro Center has impressed me three stays in a row across the board, so I do spread the word about them! Plus, you can walk across the street to eat in the Grand Hyatt's sports bar if you want to...
Old Jul 19, 2005, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 2008 FT1 Fantasy Football Champion
As others have said, I really didn't find the JW to be different from most other high-end Marriotts. Between the two, I would definately pick it due to the location.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.