Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Washington, DC, area

Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Washington, DC, area

Old Jun 2, 2005, 2:22 pm

Programs: US 1 Mar Plt Hertz PC
Originally Posted by GrizShel
I disagree- The Greenbelt Marriott is a fine property, very will kept up, lovely grounds, great suburban location for access to Metrorail to DC or rail to Baltimore, free shuttle to the nearby metro, wonderful chef in restaurant.

I agree with other posters about the DC Renaissance - not a dump exactly, but the most poorly kept Marriott property I have ever stayed in.
I don't disagree with that the location is fine, but my experience last May during a weekend stay was my absolute worst Marriott experience ever.

I was there with my family so I was particularly sensitive to a lot of issues which would not bothered me in my normal biz travels.

They seemed to be very busy with several weddings and receptions and the place was packed. My room was barely acceptable, furnishings were worn--caulk around all bathroom fixtures was missing, shower curtain was not clean.
Unaccompanied teens were wandering around using profanity just about everywhere I walked (this was one of the things that bugged me with the family around). I decided to walk around the grounds and I have never, ever seen a Marriott with more trash lying around--trash cans filled to overflowing throughout the property. Looking past the garbage I can see that the grounds could be very lovely.
The pool---My kids wanted to go down for a swim around 7:30 PM. The pool was full of DOZENS of unsupervised kids and teens engaged in some of the most outrageous horseplay I have ever witnessed. As we arrived they closed the pool to add chemicals to bring the chlorine/ph to proper levels. Pool was closed for a half hour until the levels were adjusted--my kids wanted to stay until they reopened. Once again the DOZENS of unsupervised kids and teens returned to the pool and continued to behave badly. My kids got in and were subsequently pushed, pulled, shoved by the masses until they had enough (about 5 minutes). I know what a pool experience should be like at a Marriott property as they have been in many ranging from the SHS in Harrisburg PA to the World Center to Kauia---the one at the GB Marriott was the worst anytime/anywhere.
Breakfast--Got a comp cert for 4 as part of the weekend rate. Waiter argued with me claiming that kids were not included, I had to walk back to the room and present him with the cert which he stood there and read for 5 minutes before the lightbulb of understanding went on. Breakfast buffet was mediocre at best.
Since I was staying on a $99 weekend rate and received a $100 Marriott gift check and comp b/fast I did not raise too much of a ruckus. But this property certainly did not live up to my expectations of a Marriott property, particularly since it is so close to their HQ.

To this day whenever I want to make a point with my kids I tell them something like "If you don't straighten up I'll take you back to the GB Marriott" The tremble in fear at the thought.
Truly, a nightmare experience coming from a diehard Marriott Loyalist.
Old Jun 2, 2005, 2:25 pm

Programs: US 1 Mar Plt Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TribeFlyer
I humbly beg to differ--as mentioned above by foodguy, Key Bridge on the Lee Hwy (Route 29), built in 1959, is the oldest standing Marriott; the Twin Bridges Marriott (built in 1957) was on Route 1 at the entrance to the 14th St Bridge.
Never forget that the timeline on all Marriott activity is right there in Bill's book in the nighstand right next to the Book of Mormon!!
Old Jun 3, 2005, 11:18 am

Programs: US3, WN, UA, AA, CO
Originally Posted by foodguy
Never forget that the timeline on all Marriott activity is right there in Bill's book in the nighstand right next to the Book of Mormon!!
The source I used to look it up!
Old Jun 3, 2005, 6:30 pm

Smile Crystal City Thoughts

Originally Posted by labguides
We will be in DC in early October. Any recommendations of a Marriott -- our main concern is that it be near public transportation.
I would check into the Crystal City - they have (2) Marriotts there - they are both on top of the Metro subway -

It is 10 minutes from Washington's downtown

I love coming into Reagan and just hoping the Metro right over to Crystal City - 1 minute away

they have great eateries there - the Crystal City complex is over a mile long all connected by underground tunnels with have tons of shops

However stay at the Marriott on the north side - a lot more quiet!
Old Jun 3, 2005, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
The JW is my personal favorite
Old Jun 4, 2005, 10:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis Preferred
I stand corrected, gentleman/woman. You are, of course, correct. I confused the two...I was aided by some pictures and chat I had with a staff member at KB once about this very subject, and I came away with the impression that the two properties were one and the same...but they are not.

Interesting stuff nonetheless. I can't imagine where Twin Bridges was...but I suppose it was the pre 395 days so its hard to picture. Things have sure changed...I bet it didn't take forever to get across the bridge during rush hour back then, either...
Old Jun 12, 2005, 1:03 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton-Lifetime Diamond, WN-Companion Pass, National-EE
Haven't been there in the fall but...

We will be in DC in early October. Any recommendations of a Marriott -- our main concern is that it be near public transportation.
I have stayed at the Ctyd Conv Center

900 F Street, NW
Washington, District Of Columbia 20004 USA

It was a nice property. Didn't look that special from the outside however the room upgrade was nice, the room seemed to have been recently remodeled, and the property was conveniently located near transportation. I personally used a cab (one always seemed to be sitting in front of the hotel).
Old Jun 15, 2005, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by zakami
I am going to be visiting DC and would like to stay as close as possible to Georgetown or other neighbourhoods with nightlife for people in their mid 20s. Is the Key Bridge Marriott the best bet? Any other recommendations?
I visited DC for years and stayed at all the Marriotts. I now live here (across from the Wardman Park property) and work across from the Washington Marriott. I've never had a bad experience, but my overall favorite is the Marriott Metro Center, literally on top of the main Metro subway transfer station, so you can take the trains anywhere you want to go. Also, Hecht's department store is across the street.

Peter
Old Jun 15, 2005, 12:38 pm

My vote goes to either the J.W. Marriott which IMHO has some great view of the Whitehouse and Penn Ave.

OR

The Washington Marriott which is located just off George Washington University and has a great Steakhouse litterally attached to the hotel(Blackies). They used to run a promo where if you ate at Blackies you would recive bonus MR points.

Dan
Old Jun 15, 2005, 12:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by pinniped
Quick question: are there any DC hotels that have Concierge Lounges open on the weekends? I have an October stay in DC myself...might try out something new in leiu of Wardman Park or Key Bridge.
Weekend Lounge...anywhere in DC ??
Old Jun 15, 2005, 5:32 pm

Programs: SWA, UA, Delta, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I wouldn't worry too much about public transportation...just about every Marriott in the downtown area is w/in a few blocks of a Metro stop.
Old Jun 15, 2005, 6:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pinniped
Weekend Lounge...anywhere in DC ??
I recall that old threads indicated that the JW Marriott and the Renaissance Downtown have their lounges open. In addition, although the Washington Marriott's lounge is closed, they were reported to give appetizer and drink coupons as well continental breakfast during the weekends.
Old Jun 15, 2005, 6:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dan1431
The Washington Marriott which is located just off George Washington University and has a great Steakhouse litterally attached to the hotel(Blackies). They used to run a promo where if you ate at Blackies you would recive bonus MR points.

Dan
Definitely no longer the case re bonus points.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 12:50 am

Programs: UA Silver/ AA EXP/Hyatt Globalist/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Hilton Diamond
choose between these 2 hotels in dc......

Renaissance Mayflower ($149/night)

JW Pennsylvania ($159/night)

for a weekend stay (7/21-7/23)

Consider the following:

public transit nearby
size of rooms
friendliness of staff
general niceness of hotel

I know there was some discussion about dc hotels a while back, but I really would appreciate it if you'd limit it just to those 2. Tell me where you'd stay and why. I've never stayed at either, and I can't make up my mind based on what I read in the previous post (which DC hotel).

Thanks for your assistance.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 6:12 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by chicaloca453
Renaissance Mayflower ($149/night)

JW Pennsylvania ($159/night)

for a weekend stay (7/21-7/23)

Consider the following:

public transit nearby
size of rooms
friendliness of staff
general niceness of hotel

I know there was some discussion about dc hotels a while back, but I really would appreciate it if you'd limit it just to those 2. Tell me where you'd stay and why. I've never stayed at either, and I can't make up my mind based on what I read in the previous post (which DC hotel).

Thanks for your assistance.
I have stayed at both properties and prefer the JW. The Ren is closer to the Metro, within a block, as I recall, the JW is about 3 blocks away. As a silver, I was given an upgrade to an enormous suite at the JW. Rooms at the Ren are very small. I usually do like Ren properties, but I found the staff at the Ren a little impersonal and stiff, staff at JW seemed much friendlier. JW is really a nice property. Hope this helps!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.