Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chance of Booking Marriott Maui Ocean Club or Ko'Olina for New Years Week 2018?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2017, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

I have a Marriott Travel Package certificate and I'm wondering if there is any chance I could use it to book a room at either the Marriott Maui Ocean Club timeshare property or the Ko'Olina timeshare property for the week of New Years 2018. Not surprisingly, nothing is available using points for this year at this late date in the year. My question is whether anything would be available if I tried to book at 12 months out? Anyone have experience looking for something like this?

By the way, I've redeemed Marriott points for rooms at both properties in the past (including holiday time periods other than New Years) and I know that they can be tricky because they aren't regular Marriott hotels. But, I've never tried for New Years week and I'm just wondering if they ever make any rooms available for those weeks.

Thanks for any thoughts.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 2:03 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sdflyer04
But, I've never tried for New Years week and I'm just wondering if they ever make any rooms available for those weeks.
The real question is less if Marriott will make rooms available and more will owners make the rooms available. I'm guessing that is probably a pretty high demand week and any owner that has that week would have to turn in the week to Marriott for points before Marriott will turn around and put it into the award inventory. If it is a high-demand week, they will probably get more for it through either trading it or renting it out (neither option allows Marriott to offer that week for points.)

So I'm going to go out a limb and guess your chances are fairly slim.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

You are probably right. But, I've previously used points for the weeks of Christmas and Thanksgiving at both properties. So, you never know for sure. I've just never looked for New Years. I'm wondering if anyone has used points for new years week or if anyone has done a search and seen availability for that week at either of these properties?
Old Sep 13, 2017, 4:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
MVCI properties are floating week memberships-except big holiday weeks like Presidents week and New Years. They are sold at a premium and owners are guaranteed that week each year. In a nut shell, they aren't often exchanged for other properties or for MRP's. Its not impossible, but it will be a challenge. Don't give up-keep checking and good luck!
Old Sep 13, 2017, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the encouragement to try. I used points at Ko'Olina for Presidents Week a few years ago. So, that is encouraging too. I guess we'll just wait a few months and see what is out there. But, I'd still love to hear if someone has used points or seen points available for New Years week. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.