Diamond to Gold

Subscribe
Is there a way to get a status challenge? I have been Hilton Diamond for many years. Current point balance is above 500k points with Hilton. I was a Marriott Elite about 3 years ago but needed to switch to Hilton due to travel locations. I asked a chat representative if there were any challenges or matches. He quickly told me no that the only think they would match is Starwood. I would like to switch back to Marriott but losing all that I have as a Diamond is difficult. Going to Marriott Silver is hard to make the decision to switch. Any help or suggestions? Thanks!
From the FAQ sticky:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...te-status.html

And that's just one of many relevant threads.
Thanks. I did look but didn't see anything recent and was thinking there might be a promotion or challenge that I had not found.
Quote: Is there a way to get a status challenge? I have been Hilton Diamond for many years. Current point balance is above 500k points with Hilton. I was a Marriott Elite about 3 years ago but needed to switch to Hilton due to travel locations. I asked a chat representative if there were any challenges or matches. He quickly told me no that the only think they would match is Starwood. I would like to switch back to Marriott but losing all that I have as a Diamond is difficult. Going to Marriott Silver is hard to make the decision to switch. Any help or suggestions? Thanks!
Do the SPG status challenge. 18 nights in 90 days. SPG Plat automatically gets you Marriott Plat.

SPG Status Match Request/Challenge/Policy Discussion - Master Thread.
Thank you Kacee. That was the guidance I was trying to find.
Quote: Do the SPG status challenge. 18 nights in 90 days. SPG Plat automatically gets you Marriott Plat.

SPG Status Match Request/Challenge/Policy Discussion - Master Thread.
Or do the Marriott Plat challenge which requires less stays.

Cheers.
Quote: Or do the Marriott Plat challenge which requires less stays.
Nope. You must have Marriott Gold status to challenge to Plat.

Also, it's incorrect to say Marriott requires less stays. You could do the SPG challenge with one 18 day stay. That's eight less stays than Marriott requires.
Quote: Nope. You must have Marriott Gold status to challenge to Plat.

Also, it's incorrect to say Marriott requires less stays. You could do the SPG challenge with one 18 day stay. That's eight less stays than Marriott requires.
Forgot you have to have Gold to do Plat, although I thought in the challenge thread some were able to get Plats w/o having Gold because of their status w/ other chains. But it's been a while since I've read through the challenge thread.

Not everyone has a single 18 day stay, so Marriott's 9 stays (especially if 9 individual night stays) is less. If someone has multiple night stays, then the SPG 18 might be better. But it's a YMMV case w/ re: to which works best for an individual.

Cheers.
I am okay with the nights or stays. I shouldnt have a problem getting 18 nights in 90 days
Quote: Not everyone has a single 18 day stay, so Marriott's 9 stays (especially if 9 individual night stays) is less.
No, it's simply not accurate to say that 9 stays is less than 18 nights. It totally depends on how long the stays are.

For me, 9 stays is easier because I do lots of overnights. But there are many here whose travel patterns are completely opposite, for example, consultants who typically do four or five night stays then go home for the weekend. For them, the SPG challenge would be MUCH easier.
Quote: No, it's simply not accurate to say that 9 stays is less than 18 nights. It totally depends on how long the stays are.

For me, 9 stays is easier because I do lots of overnights. But there are many here whose travel patterns are completely opposite, for example, consultants who typically do four or five night stays then go home for the weekend. For them, the SPG challenge would be MUCH easier.
Which is also what I said in my post above re: it depends on stays/nights. In some instances MAR is better; in other instances SPG is better. It's a case of YMMV (and you and I are in agreement ). Letting someone know of both options vs. just one is helpful when we don't know up front what their individual stay/night patterns are & which would work best for them.

Cheers.
I find it strange that for the status challenge, SPG uses nights while Marriott is based on stays, yet for normal elite (re)qualification, Starwood allows stays or nights while Marriott is nights only.
Are there any reliable SPG Gold comps/matches out there? Or a short challenge?

Could shorten the OP's total path to Plat, if his stay pattern tends to be 1-nighters.
Quote: Are there any reliable SPG Gold comps/matches out there? Or a short challenge?

Could shorten the OP's total path to Plat, if his stay pattern tends to be 1-nighters.
SPG Gold challenge is 9 nights. MAR Gold challenge is 6 stays (6 nights if doing 1-nighters).

Cheers.
Any current credit cards that give SPG Gold out of the box?

My original forays into SPG Gold were, I think, an Amex one year and then some airline status another year. I suspect the airline status was a one-time thing back when hotel programs were still small and growing, but I wonder if there's still an Amex path to Gold. (Other than spending $30k on the SPG Amex.)