Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Diamond to Gold

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2017, 11:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by pinniped
Are there any reliable SPG Gold comps/matches out there? Or a short challenge?

Could shorten the OP's total path to Plat, if his stay pattern tends to be 1-nighters.
NO, if one uses a match/challenge to get Gold, the requirements for Platinum are unchanged, 25 stays or 50 nights at SPG. It's not the case that you just need the incremental number of stays/nights.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
NO, if one uses a match/challenge to get Gold, the requirements for Platinum are unchanged, 25 stays or 50 nights at SPG. It's not the case that you just need the incremental number of stays/nights.
My thought was that if one could get the SPG Gold comp, instantly match to Marriott Gold, sign up for the Marriott Plat challenge, do a quick 9 nights, match back to SPG Plat. Would work for someone who regularly does 1-nighters or is in a city where doing some hotel hopping is feasible.

Worthwhile to ask since some programs are a bit looser on comps to their low tier than they are their high tier. Or have programmatic ways to get the low tier straight out of the box with a premium credit card.

Without that, doing two challenges can't really speed things up for you...unless you know some of nights 10 through 18 are going to be in places where finding a Starwood might be tough.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 2:04 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
My thought was that if one could get the SPG Gold comp, instantly match to Marriott Gold, sign up for the Marriott Plat challenge, do a quick 9 nights, match back to SPG Plat. Would work for someone who regularly does 1-nighters or is in a city where doing some hotel hopping is feasible.
I don't think this will work. I'm going from a vague memory that something like that was discussed in the SPG forum & the answer was no.

The OP says he can meet the 18 nights in 90 days, so for him he probably doesn't have to try & jump through too many hoops.

Cheers.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 2:32 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Any current credit cards that give SPG Gold out of the box?

My original forays into SPG Gold were, I think, an Amex one year and then some airline status another year. I suspect the airline status was a one-time thing back when hotel programs were still small and growing, but I wonder if there's still an Amex path to Gold. (Other than spending $30k on the SPG Amex.)
AMEX Platinum provides SPG Gold (and in turn Marriott Gold) as a benefit. We'll see how this shakes out once SPG is folded into MR.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 6:05 pm

I had no Marriott status last October. I applied for Ritz Carlton card and was instantly upgraded to RC/Marriott Gold. Called and asked for platinum challenge and then stayed 18 nights in a mix of RC/Marriott properties throughout December. Am RC/Marriott Platinum this year.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 7:38 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC, Natl EE
Originally Posted by jashsu
I had no Marriott status last October. I applied for Ritz Carlton card and was instantly upgraded to RC/Marriott Gold. Called and asked for platinum challenge and then stayed 18 nights in a mix of RC/Marriott properties throughout December. Am RC/Marriott Platinum this year.
I did both SPG 9 and 18 night challenges this year. Couple early stays were without status but still got minor upgrades anyway. Happily enjoying platinum status now.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 10:09 pm

Programs: HH Dia;SPG Plat;Marriott Plat;GHA Black
Originally Posted by Kacee
Nope. You must have Marriott Gold status to challenge to Plat.

Also, it's incorrect to say Marriott requires less stays. You could do the SPG challenge with one 18 day stay. That's eight less stays than Marriott requires.
or 6 days stay on 3 room, just nice if you travel with a big family
Old Sep 20, 2017, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sandyph
or 6 days stay on 3 room, just nice if you travel with a big family
My understanding is that you can only earn 1 EQN per night.

Points for up to 3 rooms, definitely yes.
Elite benefits for all rooms, not guaranteed but often yes.
Separate EQN/EQS for each room, generally no.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 9:31 pm

My understanding is that you can only earn 1 EQN per night.

Points for up to 3 rooms, definitely yes.
Elite benefits for all rooms, not guaranteed but often yes.
Separate EQN/EQS for each room, generally no.
was referring to the SPG challenge where up to 3 room will be counted for the challenge
Old Sep 20, 2017, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Also United Gold and higher gets you Marriott Gold
Old Sep 21, 2017, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by sandyph
was referring to the SPG challenge where up to 3 room will be counted for the challenge
OK. I've never done an SPG challenge, so if they have more generous rules for the challenge than for their regular elite qualifying, that's great. I'd want to make sure I was 100% certain on the fine print before I booked all those rooms solely for the purpose of the challenge.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 5:23 am

OK. I've never done an SPG challenge, so if they have more generous rules for the challenge than for their regular elite qualifying, that's great. I'd want to make sure I was 100% certain on the fine print before I booked all those rooms solely for the purpose of the challenge.
Even for their regular qualifying, they count up to 3 rooms. So 3 rooms for 1 night will result in 3 stays and 3 nights. This is something that I hope Marriott will follow suit or at least keep when the programme are merge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.