Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Civic Hotel, Autograph Collection - Surrey, BC, Canada [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2017, 12:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Hotel website:

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...ph-collection/

Opening November 2017. No category yet. No exec lounge.

"Civic Hotel, Autograph Collection®, is a bold landmark that merges BC’s artistry, culture and flavours with the spirit of entrepreneurial discovery — an independent, boutique hotel in the heart of a new Surrey City Centre where local business welcomes the world. With 144 guest rooms, state-of-the-art conference and meeting space, a rooftop deck and premium amenities and services — all served by a curated culinary experience — this world-class Marriott hotel is a hub for business and leisure travellers, and local leaders alike."
Old Jan 15, 2018, 11:32 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold
Category 7. Available to stay end of March 2018
Old Mar 31, 2018, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Website says opening April '18.

"In the middle of the Metro Vancouver region, Civic Hotel is immediately connected to SkyTrain, the region’s fast rail system, and three major highways, as well as a bank of intra-urban vehicle-sharing networks in the parkade below.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 1:34 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
I just stayed at this property. It's a really nice property and a cool hotel. One thing to note is they don't have an A/C unit in each room so you can't set your temperature or set if your fan is on or off. The person at the front desk claimed that it's set at 20 degrees Celsius. However that's 68 degrees Fareneight and it seemed much warmer than that.

The "thermostat" int he room just has a knob for warmer or cooler. The person at the front desk said that you can adjust 1 degree each way from that, but I don't see how that's possible.

Old Oct 25, 2018, 8:13 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I just booked the hotel as a point saver for 32.5K points in November. My wife's citizenship ceremony is scheduled for 8:45 AM, and this will make it much easier to get there.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Just wondering if there are any updated reviews on this place? I'm arriving YVR this Saturday and may stay here as it's closer to Seattle (I'll drive down the next day). It's got the cheapest rates around (especially cash). I'm not thrilled with not being able to control the room temperature. Even Motel 6s allow that!!!

Any particular Titanium benefits? I don't think this hotel has suites for upgrades. Breakfast in the restaurant?

EDIT 11-16-2019:
Stayed at this hotel for a few nights this week. I was given a king room on the second to top floor (20th). The room had its own climate control which worked well. The rooms are new and clean and comfortable.

Pros:
1. Rooms are quiet enough.
2. All king rooms face the courtyard/square (I was told by check-in)
3. 45 minutes via Skytrain direct to downtown Vancouver. Sure, could be a bit closer but the rate I got was the best in all of Southwest BC unless I wanted to stay across the border in Bellingham and drive back/forth every day in addition to needed a rental car.

Cons:
1. You are given two bottles of water in the room upon check-in. All additional bottles of water (the small ones) are CAD$4.
2. No lounge.
3. No upgrades available/possible given this hotel doesn't have suites.
4. Breakfast coupon is provided and apparently only gets you free continental breakfast in the lobby restaurant. It's a CAD$3 upcharge for full breakfast. Nowhere on the voucher does it say anything about this. To me it's an unnecessary money grab. Also, the voucher says gratuity is included. However, one morning I paid the upcharge in cash and the guy kept the change without any questions about it.

Overall, yes I would stay there again.

-RM

Last edited by RobOnLI; Nov 16, 2019 at 9:08 am
Old Jul 2, 2022, 12:45 pm

The Bonvoy gods have seen fit to drop the redemption rates from a previously stratospheric Category 7 down to a reasonable 35,000ish.

Our king room on the 20th floor had a digital-display thermostat and the air handler in the room cycles on and off. Four windows open, which is a nice feature. In-room coffee service is Illy capsules, with both demitasse and larger cups and actual metal spoons, a surprisingly thoughtful touch. Water pressure in our shower was abysmal. I’ve been spat on with more force, and rinsing shoulder-length hair was a chore.

Breakfast is a buffet in the Dominion restaurant; hot offerings were eggs, home-fried potatoes, notably good bacon and local sausage links. The pastry and bread items were standouts - the best I’ve had on a complimentary basis at a North American property. I really should have asked who bakes that walnut wheat loaf as the toast was remarkable.

One minor nit to pick. The photos show a tall skinny tower with the hotel sign at the top. That is the residential tower. The hotel is the more squat lump grafted on to the side, twenty floors below the sign. While the views are lovely they are not commanding. Further, the advertised “rooftop pool and spa” are not on the top of the tall skinny tower. Nor are they on top of the squat hotel block. They are on top of *a* roof at floor five.

Service was friendly and prompt, and maybe a little over the top when they tried to deliver a new refrigerator at 23:00 when I mentioned the previous guests’ leftovers were still in ours.

With the Skytrain connectivity this is a reasonable alternative to consider if rates in Vancouver proper are seasonally breathtaking, as is wont to happen.
dgreen12 and asovse1 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.