Door left open

Old Aug 15, 2017, 10:57 am

For heaven's sake, take this up to corporate ladder, and make sure that loss prevention is involved.

They owe you big time.

They put your wife in an unsafe room. By their own admission. Housekeeping ignored the DND sign and entered the room. By their own admission. Housekeeping left the door open and valuables were moved. By their own admission. And that's if their own explanation is true.

If they aren't telling the truth, things are even worse.

Make sure your wife is in a safe room or find another hotel at once. And when that's been done, call corporate and ask for loss prevention.

Good luck.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 10:59 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Something very wrong here. How does a door stay WIDE open? Propped open such as with a weighted bag as housekeepers have or the latch in the door trick. Not getting the full story as well as the property name, which as noted above, is useless.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 11:03 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by joshua362
Something very wrong here. How does a door stay WIDE open? Propped open such as with a weighted bag as housekeepers have or the latch in the door trick. Not getting the full story as well as the property name, which as noted above, is useless.
Agreed. Though I have been in some hotels where the door doesn't close automatically or requires a bit of a push to latch sometimes. That is very different from the situation described.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 11:31 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by joshua362
Something very wrong here. How does a door stay WIDE open?
Given the OP mentioned that the problem (which was with this one room) had to do with the hinges. If that is true, then it is very possible the door wouldn't close on its own until the hinges were fixed.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
"wide open" does leave some interpretation. Some closers don't close hard enough to latch the door. There are arm closers and there are spring loaded hinges, either can be disabled so the door does not close on its own. Sometimes housekeeping uses the flip lock to keep the door from latching.

Once the door is closed and locked I am sure occupants and goods are secure. But if you need to leave the property, you are at the mercy others know to close the door behind them. If that is beyond the ability of property staff a new property is in order.

I you find your door is open when you arrive and no one is visible, DO NOT ENTER! If you don't recognize the person in your room DO NOT ENTER! Go to the nearest house phone and call for security to check things out. Even it it's someone that is working on the room, don't risk confronting the person, keep moving and stay away until resolved.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by RogerD408
I you find your door is open when you arrive and no one is visible, DO NOT ENTER! If you don't recognize the person in your room DO NOT ENTER! Go to the nearest house phone and call for security to check things out. Even it it's someone that is working on the room, don't risk confronting the person, keep moving and stay away until resolved.
If someone is rifling through your stuff, the only call that should be made is for an ambulance.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 1:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by kb9522
If someone is rifling through your stuff, the only call that should be made is for an ambulance.
For whom? I've never been in a fight in my life or attacked someone. If it's me I'm following Roger's advice & not going into the room, but heading straight for a house phone to call security.

Cheers.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Not really wise as you don't know what they might be carrying. Now if you're packing and ready to use, be my guest. In which case the coroner is the one to call.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 11:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
For whom? I've never been in a fight in my life or attacked someone. If it's me I'm following Roger's advice & not going into the room, but heading straight for a house phone to call security.

Cheers.

I took the intent of the remark as a successful bit of levity.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I've had door closers that weren't adjusted right, leaving the door open an inch or so. At the Marriott in CPH years ago, when coming back to my room at the end of the day, it's not nice to find your room unsecured, and management just blew it off.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 12:28 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Not really wise as you don't know what they might be carrying. Now if you're packing and ready to use, be my guest. In which case the coroner is the one to call.
...followed by an attorney.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I've had door closers that weren't adjusted right, leaving the door open an inch or so. At the Marriott in CPH years ago, when coming back to my room at the end of the day, it's not nice to find your room unsecured, and management just blew it off.
Can't tell from your post if it was housekeeping that did not shut the door properly or if it was negligence on your part. In the latter case, management would not be wrong to "blow it off".
Old Aug 16, 2017, 10:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Can't tell from your post if it was housekeeping that did not shut the door properly or if it was negligence on your part. In the latter case, management would not be wrong to "blow it off".
Shouldn't all hotel room doors be maintained properly so that they close correctly?
Old Aug 16, 2017, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Shouldn't all hotel room doors be maintained properly so that they close correctly?
The door not closing by itself does not preclude the door from closing at all.

It is incumbent on the occupant to secure his or her room prior to leaving, not an inanimate object.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I always check my door when leaving to make sure it's latched properly.

Housekeeping, or whomever entered my room while I was gone was not so careful.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.