Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Importance of Breakfast

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2017, 12:35 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
As Sharon mentioned, this topic has been discussed frequently both here and on the Hilton board. For my part, I used to not care about breakfast when traveling for work, as a nice bakery was perfectly sufficient. When traveling with family, however, it becomes a bigger deal. My kids have come to look forward to the huge/varied spreads in Asian hotels, and we find it is a huge time savings to eat in the hotel, rather than hunt about for a (safe) place to eat. Usually my kids eat enough at the buffet that they can also forgo a real lunch if we're traveling somewhere difficult to find good options or where they aren't fond of the food choices. So I do choose hotels based on breakfast on family trips, and for these I've found my Hilton honors status tends to be better than my Marriott gold status. Im not sure I've ever stayed at a Hilton in Asia or Europe that hasn't given us breakfast for four, while the Marriott's I've stayed at or contacted are usually quite strict about 2 people only. I'm in India now sandbox had been planning to stay at some Marriotts, but they wanted so much extra for the kids' breakfasts that I opted to stay elsewhere. For our family, the HHonors breakfast benefit is probably worth $50-80 per night in Europe/Asia. I do still often choose Marriott properties when alone for work, but my last few family trips have led me to prioritize maintaining my Hilton status over my Marriott status for the breakfast.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 7:07 am
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by whimsey21
As Sharon mentioned, this topic has been discussed frequently both here and on the Hilton board. For my part, I used to not care about breakfast when traveling for work, as a nice bakery was perfectly sufficient. When traveling with family, however, it becomes a bigger deal. My kids have come to look forward to the huge/varied spreads in Asian hotels, and we find it is a huge time savings to eat in the hotel, rather than hunt about for a (safe) place to eat. Usually my kids eat enough at the buffet that they can also forgo a real lunch if we're traveling somewhere difficult to find good options or where they aren't fond of the food choices. So I do choose hotels based on breakfast on family trips, and for these I've found my Hilton honors status tends to be better than my Marriott gold status. Im not sure I've ever stayed at a Hilton in Asia or Europe that hasn't given us breakfast for four, while the Marriott's I've stayed at or contacted are usually quite strict about 2 people only. I'm in India now sandbox had been planning to stay at some Marriotts, but they wanted so much extra for the kids' breakfasts that I opted to stay elsewhere. For our family, the HHonors breakfast benefit is probably worth $50-80 per night in Europe/Asia. I do still often choose Marriott properties when alone for work, but my last few family trips have led me to prioritize maintaining my Hilton status over my Marriott status for the breakfast.
+1, it is when I go on vacation with family that it is a big deal. The Marriott no benefits at Resorts policy is especially annoying.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 8:43 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
Originally Posted by whimsey21
Travelling with my father-in-law and staying at Marriott hotels we got comp. breakfast for us 3 at Marriott Stuttgart (Sindelfingen), Gold - and Marriott Paris Champs Elysees, was no elite that time, reward stay points plus cash. The latter ("here is your voucher for three, you are our valued guests") was a kind of key experience for me (and not to forget how we were treated there in general), it impressed me so much, that as result I stay more and more at Marriott hotels and the group will next year be my no. 1 travel choice.

I find it convenient on business stays to have my coffee and my rolls with butter in the hotel as I leave early and usually have no time to loose to stop somewhere at the road.

But Elite breakfast I see mainly as a holiday benefit for stays with my family. We choose JW Marriott, Marriott, Ren, Autograph for holiday stays and get comp. breakfast. The resorts are excluded from the breakfast benefit. If someone pays with points a room at an expensive destination, IMHO he can - if not given as benefit - spend some money (full amount or some amount compensated by a voucher) for breakfast (and for F&B, dinner and so on in general), I think this is fair, and should support the hotel to keep up the high quality I want to get when on holidays. *) On stays at expensive luxury properties paying high rates I see it different (see Leaders Club - Elite breakfast benefit).

Hopefully the Marriott elite breakfast benefit of the joined program will include at least Sheraton, Westin, Tribute Portfolio, W and some Luxury Collection properties *)

EDIT:

*) I suggest Platinum members should get on paid and reward stays comp. breakfast (and Lounge access) at all properties incl. resorts and top luxury branded hotels (Ritz-Carlton, St. Regis, etc.)

Last edited by submonte; Aug 15, 2017 at 9:05 am
Old Aug 15, 2017, 12:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Incidentally, the global geographic distribution of Marriott-group hotels that offer free breakfast anyway makes interesting reading, doesn't it ?
It's unfortunate the results displayed in your link aren't accurate. Marriott IT at its best (not!).

I'd recommend checking these threads instead for the 5 full-service brands (JW Marriott, Renaissance, Autograph Collection, Marriott, Delta, Asia CYs) that offer free brekkie and/or lounge access to GoldPlats.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...-weekends.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...-weekends.html

For the limited service brands such as SHS, FI, RI, TPS, doesn't matter if someone is even a member of Marriott Rewards breakfast is provided to everyone.

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Aug 15, 2017 at 12:36 pm
Old Aug 15, 2017, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
MR breakfast benefits are weak even for plats. This is why I have been avoiding CY and resorts all the time.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by mediator
MR breakfast benefits are weak even for plats. This is why I have been avoiding CY and resorts all the time.
Marriott bennies are weak if you want to stay at a CY (outside of Asia) & resorts. Other than that, breakfast bennies are not weak.

BTW - as I mentioned up thread, not all elites care about brekkie. Some are more interested in evening offerings.

Cheers.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 7:17 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by mediator
I concur. Even when served in a lounge, the offerings are not what they used to be.

The best is when they offer or give you a continental breakfast in the restaurant and let you buy the full spread for $5 which I enjoyed in Monterey and Oakland. Now that is a good use of the $10 PLT welcome "gift".
Old Aug 15, 2017, 7:41 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by joshua362
The best is when they offer or give you a continental breakfast in the restaurant and let you buy the full spread for $5...
Or they let you have the full spread for $0.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 2:13 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Marriott-group hotels that offer free breakfast
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
It's unfortunate the results displayed in your link aren't accurate.
Are these results not accurate in showing all the MR properties that offer free breakfast to everyone ?

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; Aug 16, 2017 at 2:20 am
Old Aug 16, 2017, 5:22 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
The Breakfast Benefit is the most important of the Gold/Platinum benefits to me.

I don't eat lunch.
I pay my own expenses.
I love buffet breakfasts. I would prefer the buffet in the restaurant over the lounge.
I don't stay at Courtyard!
unclepants likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 8:42 am

Are these results not accurate in showing all the MR properties that offer free breakfast to everyone ?
No the results aren't accurate. Marriott IT at its best (ie, Marriott IT sucks). It shows Ritz Carltons, Autograph Collections that are resorts, executive apartments, etc. I've heard SPG's IT dept is better than Marriott's. If that's the case hope we get the SPG IT team!

Cheers.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 7:42 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by Long Distance
The Breakfast Benefit is the most important of the Gold/Platinum benefits to me.
It'll never fly, but wouldn't it be nice if MI let us double up on one (semi-)guaranteed benefit if we gave up another? "Long Distance" could get the breakfast (that I rarely eat and wouldn't miss) at any property he's staying in, just for taking basic rooms in his paid class, and I could get the biggest free room in the hotel (even if it's just me for one night ) w/o having to beg for it at check-in.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 12:16 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Incidentally, the global geographic distribution of Marriott-group hotels that offer free breakfast anyway makes interesting reading, doesn't it ?
As indicated by the word "anyway," that link brings up Fairfield Inn, Residence Inn, Springhill Suites, and TownePlace Suites properties -- at least those that comply with the brand standards and are properly flagged in the Marriott.com database.

But that has nothing to do with the Gold/Platinum lounge/breakfast benefit at non-resort Marriott, Renaissance, JW Marriott, Autograph Collection, and Delta Hotels properties.

Sharon's lists are wonderful because they provide additional information about how the lounge/breakfast benefit is provided.

I eat breakfast every day, whether at home or on the road. I pay for rooms with my own money, and I appreciate a good breakfast.

The Gold/Platinum breakfasts at full-service properties, whether in the lounge or in the restaurant, are usually much better than the breakfasts at select-service properties where the room rate includes breakfast for everyone, regardless of status. The coffee is usually better at full-service properties too.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 12:57 pm

Agree the breakfast in lounges & restaurants is better than the limited service brands breakfast.

The link isn't correct in what it brings up though, since some of the entries on the link are Ritz Carltons, resort Autograph Collection properties & executive apartments, none of which offer free breakfast. Marriott IT sucks.

Cheers.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 8:06 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
It'll never fly, but wouldn't it be nice if MI let us double up on one (semi-)guaranteed benefit if we gave up another? "Long Distance" could get the breakfast (that I rarely eat and wouldn't miss) at any property he's staying in, just for taking basic rooms in his paid class, and I could get the biggest free room in the hotel (even if it's just me for one night ) w/o having to beg for it at check-in.
I like that idea!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.