Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Using points for suites: is there a consistent amount for the upgrade?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2017, 1:58 pm
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

I just booked a suite at the Copenhagen Marriott. I was delighted to find I could assure myself of a suite for 50% over the points level for a standard room. A base room is 40K points per night. I was offered a junior suite at 55K/night and a full suite at 60K/night. We'll be going at a time of year when I expect the hotel to be completely sold out. I don't expect an upgrade so am happy to be able to book the room where I'd like to stay. Is the 50% delta standard for Marriott? Do all full service Marriotts offer suites?

For comparison, Starwood offers suites at 2x the base level points. Hyatt offers suites at 60% over base levels. Hilton doesn't have a consistent delta. I've done it several times and it is quite random, as much as 2x base level. So this redemption at Marriott is better value than I've seen elsewhere.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 3:17 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
The only thing I've seen consistent in the past is 5,000 upcharge per night per bedroom usually at resorts, timeshares and Residence Inns. Never saw your opportunity or a FS (in the US) offer this online. This is great if it expands. Nice find.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 8:54 am

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
When we stayed at the JW Marriott in Cancun recently, the suite we reserved was ~45% over base room rate.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

might be experimenting as they work on unified loyalty program?
Old Jul 16, 2017, 5:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
might be experimenting as they work on unified loyalty program?
Does that mean SPG has different point levels to upgrade standard rooms? If so, maybe. If not, probably not related.

Cheers.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Does that mean SPG has different point levels to upgrade standard rooms?
Yes, it does. You can't do it online, you have to call. It varies by hotel as to what is offered, but there are sometimes several point steps between a standard room and a suite. What is standard is the fact that a suite costs 2x points of a base room.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 7:32 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Yes, it does. You can't do it online, you have to call. It varies by hotel as to what is offered, but there are sometimes several point steps between a standard room and a suite. What is standard is the fact that a suite costs 2x points of a base room.
With SPG, I wouldn't use points on an upgrade. Have always been upgraded to something nice with SPG.

For Marriott, i would spend the points on the upgrade when making my reservation. Just my feeling about which loyalty program I trust to honor my status.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SPG is a standardized system, using category 7 as an example >

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Standard SPG7
30,000 Lo
35,000 Hi

SPG7S
31,500 Lo
36,750 Hi

SPG7SS
32,500 Lo
37,500 Hi

SPG7SU
60,000 Lo
70,000 Hi

SPG7SU2
75,000 Lo
87,500 Hi

SPG7SU3
90,000 Lo
105,000 Hi

SPG7SU4
120,000 Lo
140,000 Hi
Old Jul 17, 2017, 5:40 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I don't think this is anything different than Marriott hotels have been doing for years. A junior suite requires a base award (40K/night) plus 3 upgrade certs (3*5K or 15k/night) for a total of 55K/night. An Executive suite requires 4 upgrade certs for a total of 60K/night (which just happens to be 50% more points.) And for completeness, a waterview room costs 1 upgrade cert/night. An executive level waterfront room costs 2 upgrades per night.

So it looks like this nothing new and just a hotel's use of the 5K/night upgrade cert award structure.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hhoope01
I don't think this is anything different than Marriott hotels have been doing for years.
Thank you. This is great to know. It's a very nice feature of the program to which I haven't paid sufficient attention.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by pharmawalk
With SPG, I wouldn't use points on an upgrade. Have always been upgraded to something nice with SPG.
For SPG non-elites, room upgrade premiums can make sense. Premiums can make sense when standard award rooms aren't available. Even for Plats, if there's a need for a specific non-standard award room type, better to reserve it.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 5:46 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
As joshua362 mentioned, upgrade certs are seen more often at resorts and suite properties like RIs. But has you have found other hotels do make use of them as well.

And maybe out of the merger with Starwood, we may start seeing them offered at even more hotels.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

is upgrade cert standardized, or can hotels set whatever (number) they want?
Old Jul 17, 2017, 7:57 pm
kkl

Not all properties offer award redemptions into "premium" rooms??

Looked at a few tip marriott eu properties and only base room or premium room with cash component available

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.