Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Spouse staying (alone) on my reservation. Status nights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2017, 10:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium

My wife is staying in a room I reserved and paid for with points. Customer Service has put her name on and taken mine off.

She doesn't have a Marriott account. Do the status nights go to my account or are they lost?

Thanks!
Old Jul 7, 2017, 1:13 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
You did not stay so you will not get credit for the night. Often when I make points reservations for others, the others get my benefits while at the hotel, such as concierge lounge access, and I have gotten one night's credit at least once in that situation. When I called Marriott to get my missing 500 points welcome amenity credited for other reservations the telephone agent pointed out the points were also missing for a Venice points stay. I made it clear I didn't stay and shouldn't get the points, but the agent said something like, "what the heck" and gave me the points anyway. So you might get the points, but you shouldn't.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by JackE
My wife is staying in a room I reserved and paid for with points. Customer Service has put her name on and taken mine off.

She doesn't have a Marriott account. Do the status nights go to my account or are they lost?

Thanks!
Program T&Cs state program benefits are for the member when they stay and pay for the room. There have been too many instances where someone would play travel agent and book rooms for family and friends expecting to earn credit for rooms when they are nowhere near the property. This is considered defrauding the program and rules have been written against it.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 9:04 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RogerD408
This is considered defrauding the program and rules have been written against it.
That is a heck of a leap to assert someone is trying to defraud a program just because they asked if they should get points in a certain instance.

To the OP, as you have probably figured out, per the T&Cs, you shouldn't be getting points or night credit when you aren't there. But once in a while mistakes do occur and it is possible you could get points/stay credit for a particular stay you reserved but weren't actually there.

I wouldn't count on it happening though.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by hhoope01
That is a heck of a leap to assert someone is trying to defraud a program just because they asked if they should get points in a certain instance.

To the OP, as you have probably figured out, per the T&Cs, you shouldn't be getting points or night credit when you aren't there. But once in a while mistakes do occur and it is possible you could get points/stay credit for a particular stay you reserved but weren't actually there.

I wouldn't count on it happening though.
Read the sentence before the one you quoted. Gotta take it in context. I was not accusing the OP, but the fact others have abused the program and now we all have to pay the price.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by JackE
Do the status nights go to my account!
In theory/by policy, no. In reality, sometimes.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Thanks, everyone. CS advised me to not expect any elite benefits for my spouse, which is of course very reasonable.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 4:33 pm

Would the person staying be eligible to get the night credit if they showed their card in a situation like this? OP mentioned the clerk changed the name to his wife's. Would she get the credit even though the points came elsewhere?
Old Jul 7, 2017, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joeags
Would the person staying be eligible to get the night credit if they showed their card in a situation like this? OP mentioned the clerk changed the name to his wife's. Would she get the credit even though the points came elsewhere?
There is no point earned if the check in person does not have a Marriott account attached to it.

When the name on the reservation is changed, the reservation now belongs to the person's name on it, NOT who initially booked it. So in this case, the husband's name is removed, he no longer has anything to do with that reservation - he will not get any point / night credit whatsoever. At the same time his wife has no status, would not get any benefit of his status because he is not staying. On top of that his wife does not have a Marriott account, therefore the night would be "lost".

FWIW, Marriott system is very strict. There are occasions when the name on the payment card did not match with the name on the reservation, you dont get credit either. We have had that misfortune when we were doing stays between 2 persons' accounts and the hotels messed up in the billings - took forever to get it straightened up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.