Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Inn at Bay Harbor MI, Autograph Collection [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2004, 10:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Rewards Gold, Delta SM, Southwest CP

Spent Thursday through Sunday this weekend at The Inn at Bay Harbor, a northern Michigan golf resort which just joined Renaissance in December.

Went up with relatively average expectations and came away very impressed.

The property itself is designed to look like an old-time resort hotel on Lake Michigan, but is actually a new, modern building. It's the centerpiece of a large lakeshore development with retail, yacht club, real estate, etc. Amenities at the hotel included a large outdoor pool and hot tub, sand beach, croquette court, outdoor chess/checkers board and a full spa. Although I don't golf, they have a number of courses, including one ranked among the top 10 public courses nationally by Golf Digest.

What were truly impressive, however, were a bunch of little touches. They have a bonfire every night and provided ingredients so kids could roast marshmellows and make smores ... free coffee and popcorn in the lobby ... on Friday and Saturday night they were offering free chair massage by the spa massuesses in the lobby ... the pool attendant brought out toys for the children to play with, etc. We got free breakfast for my wife, myself and our daughter as part of the rate and the buffet was excellent, with omelette bar, etc. To a person, the staff was among the friendliest and most outgoing I've encountered in hundreds of Marriott nights.

The accomodations were also among the best I've seen in a non-JW Marriott, at least partially because a large part of the hotel is being sold on a time share/condo basis. Every room is a suite, although most of the smaller ones lock off into a relatively typical hotel room. We stayed in a larger-than normal room with two queen beds, an oversized bath, wetbar and fridge and large porch with two rocking chairs and a small table. No upgrade for a Marriott gold, but I didn't ask, so not surprising. They did take my bonus buck without a problem. We toured some of the larger suites and were extremely impressed. Their "tower" units are going for $1 million purchase for year-round usage. Also toured the "studio" lockout units, which have a full kitchen, murphy bed and fold-out couch. They were, in many ways, nicer than our room because of the kitchen and would be fine if you just needed one bed for adults and one for children.

According to the staff, they joined Renaissance in December because they weren't getting the traffic they feel they needed as an independent "Boyne" property. Boyne's a Michigan-based developer that also runs ski areas in the West. They still own the resort and were offering some really great golf packages. Winter ski packages are also offered. They're supposed to begin an expansion in the fall that will add a large indoor pool, hot tub, kids pool and another wing to the hotel. Overall, the staff seemed very positive on the new Marriott affiliation.

They're pretty much booked for the rest of the summer, but if you're a skier or want to plan in advance, they've got good rates and are certainly worth a visit.

Jim
Old Jun 14, 2004, 10:20 pm
Suspended

Excellent report. Thanks for the great information on a place I would never have given a second thought!

FYI: http://www.innatbayharbor.com/

Last edited by NJUPINTHEAIR; Jun 14, 2004 at 10:29 pm
Old Jun 15, 2004, 8:24 pm

We stayed there over Memorial Weekend on a 3 Day Cert. for 65,000 points. The Inn at Bay Harbor is a Catagory 5 Hotel. The quality of the hotel as well as the overall setting in the Bay Harbor Michigan Development(near Petoskey, MI) make this a great place to stay. The sunsets views(and sunrises for that matter) on Little Traverse Bay are exquisite. Our freebie cert. even entitled us to free buffet breakfast everyday. I sense the history of this property is that they have had traffic trouble, and therefore revenue problems in the past. I hope the public starts to discover this place so the Inn can complete Phase II and continue to draw more guests.
We have traveled and stayed in the Bay Harbor area in the past, and will continue to do so. We are already planning our next long weekend to the Inn at Bay Harbor and I can strongly recommend it as a great place to stay.
Old Jun 27, 2005, 8:38 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
As the prior posters have indicated this is an amazing resort property. Just spent a night there and was stunned by the overall beauty of the property and setting. Received plat upgrade to lake view with balcony. Well furnished with the largest bathroom I've ever seen at a Marriott property (sunken jacuzzi, separate shower, bidet, and window overlooking Lake Michigan). Included delightful breakfast buffet served, if you wish, on a patio with full view of lake and Little Traverse Bay). Property is five minutes from northern Michigan resort town of Petoskey with restaurants and shopping, although the resort property includes a mini "downtown" area that houses numerous shops and restaurants including an "Original Pancake House", for those familiar with this much better than average breakfast chain. Staff hospitality was excellent.

We didn't arrive by air, but I note that Pellston, MI airport is about 30 minutes from property, with non-stop jet service from Detroit via Northwest Airlink.
Old Jun 27, 2005, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Golf?

What golf course is associated with this hotel? I have not been able to find anything on it? How about the spa...has anyone used the facilities?
Old Jun 27, 2005, 10:57 am

golf and spa at Bay Harbor

Originally Posted by bsdstone
What golf course is associated with this hotel? I have not been able to find anything on it? How about the spa...has anyone used the facilities?
http://www.boyne.com/bayharbor/
Old Jun 27, 2005, 1:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum; Hyatt Gold; Starwood Gold; UAL Premier; Delta Silver
This is a truely remarkable resort. The views are breathtaking and the food is spectacular! Even the ahi tuna beleive it or not!

We live down state and enjoy it so much that stay there a few times a year.

Its also very close to Traverse City and Charlevoix. Great towns!
Old Jun 29, 2005, 9:29 am

Programs: MR: PLAT; NW: PLAT
Thumbs up 31st Anniversary @ Ren Bay Harbor

My wife and I celebrated our 31st Wedding Anniversary at the Inn at Bay Harbor. When we returned to our room (which had been up-graded to a tower bay view room) we found rose petals arranged on the bed along with two swans in towel origami. They had even put a polaroid picture of the bed on the bed. There was champagne in a bucket along with a small bottle of Chambord to mix in the champagne. There was a basket of fruit along with chocolate covered cherries (the cherry capital is nearby). In the bathroom the jacuzzi tub had rose petals and a rubber duckie floating in it along with bath oil and massage oil. When I opened the door and looked in, I told my wife, "You are really going to like the turn-down service here!" The breakfast in the morning was great and the food in the bar the night before was wonderful. A great place to visit and recommend.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2007, 8:51 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Platinum, National Executive Elite
I am looking at going here in May. Does anyone have any recent success with plat or gold upgrades? Will I have a hassle using a premium pound certificate? Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 4, 2007, 1:20 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Saw this post a few days ago, and got excited because we were searching for a Spring Break getaway, and this looked PERFECT.

Except one problem...they are only open Thurs-Sunday this time of year!
Anyone ever heard of a Marriott hotel only open Thursday to Sunday???

Oh well, Still may give it a shot.
Old Mar 5, 2007, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Rewards Gold, Delta SM, Southwest CP
It's a very dead time in Northern Michigan.
Old Mar 5, 2007, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by ondeadlin
It's a very dead time in Northern Michigan.
Skiing? Snowmobiling?
Old Mar 5, 2007, 3:19 pm

Programs: Marriott PLT, Starwood, American Gold, Delta
We were there in Sept and got upgraded to a wonderful waterfront suite. Had great service. Not celebrating any special occasion, but every evening bed was covered (well, not covered) with rose petals, several welcoming gifts, small liquers at bedside every evening. Couldn't have asked for better stay.
Old Mar 5, 2007, 3:25 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by ohmark
Skiing? Snowmobiling?
That was my thought...still don't understand how a property can survive on 4 days/3 nights a week.
Old Mar 5, 2007, 4:11 pm

Programs: MR Gold, DCL Silver, RSSC Silver
We stayed there shortly after it opened. At that time, they were seriously considering closing completely during the offseason. They told me that the hotel is an integral part of the surrounding real estate development, and that they figured to be heavily dependant on MR. As one of the 1st MR members to stay there, we got a great rate, were treated like royalty, and received a huge room upgrade and free breakfast, despite only silver status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.