Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Unable to receive incidental points with a prepaid booking

Old Jun 18, 2017, 1:55 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Rencently I stayed at one of Renaissance and book a repaid aka non-refundable rate, When I checked out the hotel receipt only charged me for dining , as my room rate was already charged before I checked in.

Later when I received my points of this stay, I found that the base points I received is only room rate and my incidental points was not added. I contact marriott guest service, they told me because the system only allows one receipt as points per stay, that's why your incidental is missing.

But I don't want contact them and ask them to manually add missing incidental points every time when We book a prepaid rate. Is there anyway to solve this problem?

It looks unlikely to ask hotel to charge room rate and incidentals into one bill for a prepaid rate, since they must charged your room before you check in, and charge incidentals when you check out
Old Jun 18, 2017, 7:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Don't know if it will occur every time, but for this one you'll need to ask MR cust svc to manually post the incidentals for the stay & provide the incidentals folio.

It might also be an int'l vs. North America issue. We've had reports of prepaid rates not even generating points for the room rate int'ly, & it being suggested that someone spend something on incidentals (even if small amount) to trigger a folio at all.

Moving forward it certainly can't hurt to ask a property to prepare a folio that shows room charge, that you pre-paid (they might have to list it as deposit), & the incidentals. Not sure they'll all do it but can't hurt to ask.

Cheers.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 5:25 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Don't know if it will occur every time, but for this one you'll need to ask MR cust svc to manually post the incidentals for the stay & provide the incidentals folio.

It might also be an int'l vs. North America issue. We've had reports of prepaid rates not even generating points for the room rate int'ly, & it being suggested that someone spend something on incidentals (even if small amount) to trigger a folio at all.

Moving forward it certainly can't hurt to ask a property to prepare a folio that shows room charge, that you pre-paid (they might have to list it as deposit), & the incidentals. Not sure they'll all do it but can't hurt to ask.

Cheers.
On a prepaid room rate, is it normal for Marriott to not provide a receipt for the rate paid, regardless of when it was paid?
Old Jun 18, 2017, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by controller1
On a prepaid room rate, is it normal for Marriott to not provide a receipt for the rate paid, regardless of when it was paid?
No idea. I can probably count on 2 fingers in a gazillion years where I prepaid a hotel stay w/ Marriott. Heck the last time I did a prepaid was w/ a Hilton property in 2004.

Cheers.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 6:09 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
No idea. I can probably count on 2 fingers in a gazillion years where I prepaid a hotel stay w/ Marriott. Heck the last time I did a prepaid was w/ a Hilton property in 2004.

Cheers.
Same here. I was just curious. It would seem, as you explained earlier, they could handle it as a "deposit" albeit a 100% deposit.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 5:46 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
I've regularly done the pre-paid and I still get charged the price of the nights accommodation but then on the invoice comes up as 'Deposit transferred at C/I' so that I get the points for my room rate and the incidentals I run up too.

This is for stays in the UK.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 6:13 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nequine
I've regularly done the pre-paid and I still get charged the price of the nights accommodation but then on the invoice comes up as 'Deposit transferred at C/I' so that I get the points for my room rate and the incidentals I run up too.

This is for stays in the UK.
I just stayed in a prepaid room in San Antonio last weekend, and purchased a single beer . The invoice had the room rate, all the taxes, and the beer on it. I think the OP's situation is perhaps an isolated incident that wasn't handled properly by the hotel?
Old Jun 19, 2017, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Sounds like some oddness or incorrect handling how that hotel did their processing.
I'd definitely contact MR cust service again to get your missing points. No reason you should let them get away with not crediting you for what you spent there.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 6:56 am
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
deleted, as frankly not worth the effort to respond to this one off incident that is made into the horror of having to ask a property to manually adjust a stay to obtain proper credit

Last edited by Srisarin; Jun 19, 2017 at 7:03 am
Old Jun 19, 2017, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by Srisarin
deleted, as frankly not worth the effort to respond to this one off incident that is made into the horror of having to ask a property to manually adjust a stay to obtain proper credit
Your comment is inappropriate in my opinion. The OP encountered a situation & asked for input/advice, also asking if this is the norm rather than the exception. Your comment about horror is hyperbole.

As I mentioned in my response, we've had reports on FT where there have been prepaids not posting points correctly - or at all. I encountered it once in the UK myself (one of the few times I did a prepaid) & had to chase them down. I know another well-regarded FTer who prepaid a property in Spain & did not have any incidentals, & it took him 2 months of back/forth between him/Marriott/the property to finally get the points posted/night credit for his prepaid room.

It was suggested that folks do a minor spend on incidentals to trigger some type of folio. That seems to have worked in some instances, but not always.

Cheers.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 8:02 am
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
Sorry, but I disagree.

Herein we have the same OP who has previously stated he would never again post on FT (if I recall correctly in the Hanoi thread because others would now agree with him) who complains now that he does not want to have to ask the hotel to manually adjust a posting - something others routinely due a few dozen times a year, especially when the PAG points aren't posted, but now it seems it's beneath this OP to ask for a manual adjustment because .....

Your comment is inappropriate in my opinion. The OP encountered a situation & asked for input/advice, also asking if this is the norm rather than the exception. Your comment about horror is hyperbole.

As I mentioned in my response, we've had reports on FT where there have been prepaids not posting points correctly - or at all. I encountered it once in the UK myself (one of the few times I did a prepaid) & had to chase them down. I know another well-regarded FTer who prepaid a property in Spain & did not have any incidentals, & it took him 2 months of back/forth between him/Marriott/the property to finally get the points posted/night credit for his prepaid room.

It was suggested that folks do a minor spend on incidentals to trigger some type of folio. That seems to have worked in some instances, but not always.

Cheers.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 8:14 am

Whether an FTer has posted in other threads to your or others' liking or not or says s/he won't post on FT again is irrelevant. Short of violating TOS, FTers are allowed to post & start threads & even post again after saying they won't. Your dislike of the FTer does not make his question not pertinent nor his request for advice unreasonable. You'll note that other FTers who have posted on this thread have been civil & provided their input/experiences - aka, provided actual input/advice vs. snark.

VinceChan didn't say he wasn't willing to contact Marriott to get it sorted manually. He had already contacted MRCS. He asked if this was the norm for prepaids & said he wouldn't be happy to have to take time from his day to request manual posting for every prepaid if it didn't post properly. I agree w/ him in that. I wouldn't like to do so either for every prepaid if it didn't post properly either.

Based on FTers input, it does sound like this was more a property hiccup. Hopefully it will get resolved easily. As I noted in the FTer's Spain situation, it took 2 months to get the points posted properly & multiple follow-ups, so it's not always just an easy 1-time phone call.

FWIW - I've thought for years there should be some type of points penalty (aka, small amount of points deposited into elite's account) when MAR screws up w/ points not posting properly, whether that be the overall stay points, PAG, incidentals or bonus points from promos. It takes time from elite's day/jobs to have to chase down & get corrected MAR's mistakes. Maybe if there was some type of penalty it would result in less errors, or at least make it worthwhile for elites to jump through hoops.

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Jun 19, 2017 at 8:19 am
Old Jul 25, 2017, 8:05 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Whether an FTer has posted in other threads to your or others' liking or not or says s/he won't post on FT again is irrelevant. Short of violating TOS, FTers are allowed to post & start threads & even post again after saying they won't. Your dislike of the FTer does not make his question not pertinent nor his request for advice unreasonable. You'll note that other FTers who have posted on this thread have been civil & provided their input/experiences - aka, provided actual input/advice vs. snark.

VinceChan didn't say he wasn't willing to contact Marriott to get it sorted manually. He had already contacted MRCS. He asked if this was the norm for prepaids & said he wouldn't be happy to have to take time from his day to request manual posting for every prepaid if it didn't post properly. I agree w/ him in that. I wouldn't like to do so either for every prepaid if it didn't post properly either.

Based on FTers input, it does sound like this was more a property hiccup. Hopefully it will get resolved easily. As I noted in the FTer's Spain situation, it took 2 months to get the points posted properly & multiple follow-ups, so it's not always just an easy 1-time phone call.

FWIW - I've thought for years there should be some type of points penalty (aka, small amount of points deposited into elite's account) when MAR screws up w/ points not posting properly, whether that be the overall stay points, PAG, incidentals or bonus points from promos. It takes time from elite's day/jobs to have to chase down & get corrected MAR's mistakes. Maybe if there was some type of penalty it would result in less errors, or at least make it worthwhile for elites to jump through hoops.

Cheers.

I did not check this topic until recently, I did solve the problem in the end thought it took a while. The associate told me that this problem does happen from time to time since Marriott unlike Starwood , system only allowing incidentals charged into the room rate together for one bill.

The main reason why I don't like to contact guest service every time when this happening, because it bothering me as well as bothering the hotel . Especially if you often stay with the same hotel .

With regarding to the personal comment and someone's dislike of OP part that Sharon mentioned, I agree and deeply appreciated for her standing for me , and does not understand why somehow such an inappropriate comment and language will be displayed here with some kind of frustrated and miserable way

Last edited by Vince Chan; Jul 27, 2017 at 9:35 am Reason: What should have been done but not
Old Sep 20, 2017, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm having the opposite problem. Pre-paid room is only giving points for incidentals and the folio only shows incidentals.

I just sent them the confirmation email with the original room rate from April. Hope that makes them happy as the room rate was a lot more than a couple of snacks at the bar!
Old Sep 21, 2017, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
I'm having the opposite problem. Pre-paid room is only giving points for incidentals and the folio only shows incidentals.

I just sent them the confirmation email with the original room rate from April. Hope that makes them happy as the room rate was a lot more than a couple of snacks at the bar!
Was it an int'l or US property? I know others who have stayed at int'l properties have had the same issue & it took a while to get it sorted. I'm starting to think that when someone checks in on a prepaid rate that they ask at check-in to have the prepaid added (ie, show it as deposit & then charge against that) so there's something showing on the folio.

Cheers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.