Wiki Posts
Search

New Cancellation Policy

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2017, 2:15 pm

Location: Michigan's West Coast and wherever my clients need me
Programs: Delta Diamond (2+M MQMs), Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mindrisa
Did you try to HUCA? Or do they contact the hotel so that wouldn't do any good?
I am given to understand that it was the hotel that refused to honor the cancellation. I say this because the Marriott rep indicated that she was talking to the property. I ended up using a work-around that got me out of the fee.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 10:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
I know a few tricks to make a booking and make sure the card used for reservation cannot be charged following a no-show or cancellation past free-cancellation deadline. It seems that I'll have to resort to such tricks more often
Old Jul 19, 2017, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
This is precisely what happens when an industry becomes very concentrated and there are fewer competitive options.

I'm booking a HGI (Hilton) property this weekend because I may need to cancel. Their policy is 6 PM DOA.

Not after July 31st. It will then be 48 hours.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
WOW. This is NOT encouraging.
If Marriott and Hilton are in synch, then Marriott's platinum reps have been told what Hilton's diamond reps have been told: 'No more exceptions for elite members'. The Hilton policy goes in force from August 1.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 7:45 pm

Just did a few day road trip in SoCal, booking 1 day ahead each day (i.e., booking today for tomorrow night). Weird to see a statement each time to the effect that "this reservation can be canceled without penalty up to [yesterday]."
Old Jul 20, 2017, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
I know a few tricks to make a booking and make sure the card used for reservation cannot be charged following a no-show or cancellation past free-cancellation deadline. It seems that I'll have to resort to such tricks more often
Ohhhh...do tell!

I sort of achieved that once accidentally by cancelling a card after a booking was made, but I'm not really willing to do that everytime to avoid a cancellation charge!
Old Jul 20, 2017, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by retiredfromhilton
Not after July 31st. It will then be 48 hours.
DOH!
Old Jul 28, 2017, 6:03 pm

This new cancellation policy simply allowed one of the hotels I recently stayed at to charge my credit card once the 48-hour deadline had passed.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 5:19 am

Programs: AC*SM, M&M SEN, BA Gold, DL Gold; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by pokee
Ohhhh...do tell!

I sort of achieved that once accidentally by cancelling a card after a booking was made, but I'm not really willing to do that everytime to avoid a cancellation charge!
I don't even think that will work. Just this week, two days before check in, I got a message from a Marriott property saying my guarantee CC was not valid and I should call in with an updated one, or the room would no longer be guaranteed (I'd lose the room as I arrive late).

I wasn't even trying to get around this new policy (I wanted to keep the room!). But the card I had booked with was replaced by the issuer between booking and check in. Just a word of warning that you may not want to go that route!

bawm
Old Jul 29, 2017, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by bawm
I don't even think that will work. Just this week, two days before check in, I got a message from a Marriott property saying my guarantee CC was not valid and I should call in with an updated one, or the room would no longer be guaranteed (I'd lose the room as I arrive late).

I wasn't even trying to get around this new policy (I wanted to keep the room!). But the card I had booked with was replaced by the issuer between booking and check in. Just a word of warning that you may not want to go that route!

bawm
If the hotel checks the CCs, then that means the memo is official, and they are definitely aware of this cancellation policy. 72 hours are definitely discouraging. I just noticed that even with award reservations last weekend when I booked one in Toronto downtown. Looks like they are enforcing this even on award reservations as well.

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
This is precisely what happens when an industry becomes very concentrated and there are fewer competitive options.

I'm booking a HGI (Hilton) property this weekend because I may need to cancel. Their policy is 6 PM DOA.
Depending on what you meant by *competitive*. If you meant choices to try different hotels, then no; but if you meant choices to cancel day-of-arrival reservations, then yes, Airbnb, Hilton, and Marriott are not giving Day-of-Arrival cancellations anymore.

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
I had a flight cancelled Monday evening. (Smoke and fumes in the DC ATC Center really impacted BWI with no warning.) I was to stay at the Portsmouth Ren Mon and Tuesday. I called the Plat line. Explained the situation-they cancelled without penalty and specifically noted that I was a Plat.
Really hope this is still a benefit for being PLT.

Last edited by PaulInTheSky; Jul 29, 2017 at 11:44 am
Old Jul 30, 2017, 8:26 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
In the past, I have asked them to move my reservation to a later date rather than cancel it when it was not possible to cancel. I would ask them for that option if it is a property I stay at frequently.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 3:14 pm

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
If you are listening, Marriott, you have already lost at least 10 nights of mine over this policy.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by orca15
If you are listening, Marriott, you have already lost at least 10 nights of mine over this policy.
Again, lost to where? Presumably not Hilton, which is instituting much the same policy tomorrow. Presumably not Carlson, which already seems like it might have a similar policy, based on my bookings this year.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 6:09 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Again, lost to where? Presumably not Hilton, which is instituting much the same policy tomorrow. Presumably not Carlson, which already seems like it might have a similar policy, based on my bookings this year.
IHG or Accor? Both of them still allow same day cancellation.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 6:44 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by yurtripper
IHG or Accor? Both of them still allow same day cancellation.
At least with IHG, hopefully you don't care much for elite benefits and those are few and far between (though points earning can be decent.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.