Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Cancellation Policy

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2017, 9:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by ohmark
Never has been any such written rule. When inquiring, have been told by more than one property they have no idea what I'm talking about. That's what happens when there is a so-called rule which no one has ever seen.
Marriott Plat line has told me that the day before cancelation didn't apply to plats. Longer cancelations did though.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Booking through last-minute services does not get you night/stay credit.
Let's be honest, if you're chasing points and rewards, you're not terribly interested in Marriott to begin with. It only takes a few cancellations to completely nuke any benefit one might receive from points earned.

I've noticed an ever-increasing number of "Advance Purchase -- No Refund" rates showing up on Marriott's site.

I have never used HotelTonight before, but I also just loaded the app on my phone tonight. I'll gladly let Marriott take a 15% haircut and give it to HotelTonight to be able to remain flexible.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 10:18 pm
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Three-day cancellation period for the Nashville Airport Marriott, so it is not just confined to the US Northeast.

Three-days seems a bit extreme period, but especially for an airport hotel...
Old Jun 15, 2017, 11:16 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
While this does stink, hopefully there will be some flexibility for Plats. Under the current policy, i just had to cancel at four o'clock in the afternoon the day of a stay, well past the deadline, and was allowed to do so at no cost. A visa issue prevented my entering a country. I called from the airport and was put on hold. When she returned, the reservation clerk told me there would be no charge because I did this infrequently.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 2:21 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
This is definitely not widespread yet. I just checked a Courtyard in Germany and a Marriott in London and both have a 1 day cancel policy. I also checked Prague for Starwood and it too was 1 day for the regular rate. I am Platinum however, so perhaps it is staying 1 day for Plats? (which would be an amazing benefit if all non-Plats are required to cancel 48 hours + 1 minute prior)
Old Jun 16, 2017, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
I had to do it once - SAS cancelled our flight down to DUS 12 hours before departure. It was supposed to be the last flight of the day so we arrive there in the evening. They cancelled it and we had to go first flight in the morning, we emailed the hotel and they were very understanding and they let us cut a night without charging us for it.

These things do happen and with 3 days notice it's impossible to do anything when situations like the above happened.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 3:50 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Marriott's hotels already tended to have worse cancellation terms for customers than other hotels nearby. This effort by Marriott is meant to try to boost revenue in more than one way, but this kind of situation just means I'll be doing more last minute bookings and more inclined to use "opaque" and other non-Marriott booking channels than I otherwise would have been or to use other hotels to book rates with better terms.

I'm seeing some hotels in Europe have gone from day of arrival cancellation terms to day before arrival cancellation terms.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jun 16, 2017 at 3:56 am
Old Jun 16, 2017, 5:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Just noticed that a Starwood reservation I was trying to make also has the 3 days! I was going to make the same reservation yesterday and it had day of arrival and now it is 3 days. Thanks Marriott!
Old Jun 16, 2017, 5:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
In time, hopefully there will be a move to offering "fully flexible" bookings, the same way most air carriers do. You can pay a higher rate and buy flexibility. For business travelers, the business proposition is whether you have the sort of travel which is fixed in advance and doesn't change or the sort of travel which varies at the last minute.

Emergency changes such as illness or weather, are covered by travel insurance and that again is a business proposition.

The larger issue is the one-size-fits-all approach.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 6:00 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Marriott's hotels already tended to have worse cancellation terms for customers than other hotels nearby. This effort by Marriott is meant to try to boost revenue in more than one way, but this kind of situation just means I'll be doing more last minute bookings and more inclined to use "opaque" and other non-Marriott booking channels than I otherwise would have been or to use other hotels to book rates with better terms.
That might be part of the strategy: When you have to balance
1) Loss of frequent customers because of the policy,
2) Keep those customers, but now because of opaque booking does not have to give benefits (both on the current stay, as well as on the margin for future stays) [plus, those who will go for status now have to stay additional night(s)], despite lower profit margin,
3) Sell rooms that otherwise go empty, either once, or twice (because someone forgot to cancel)

It might all end up to be a wise decision. In the end only Marriott have the number to crunch and support the decision. As always, FlyerTalk universe might not be as large as think it is.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 6:05 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by GUWonder

I'm seeing some hotels in Europe have gone from day of arrival cancellation terms to day before arrival cancellation terms.
In my experience, third-party travel sites do not have a better cancellation policy than booking directly with the hotel itself. Usually it is the same, unless they are offering some promo deal or you opt for the booking insurance for an extra fee.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by Often1
In time, hopefully there will be a move to offering "fully flexible" bookings, the same way most air carriers do. You can pay a higher rate and buy flexibility. \
I'm confused! We had this and now they have changed it. Until now you booked a higher rate for flexibility. That is now being taken away as the higher rates require a 3 day cancellation policy.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 6:22 am

The policy change evidently also applies to award and cash & points reservations and NOT just revenue reservations.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 6:22 am

Programs: United 1K, MR Plat, SPG Plat
I first noticed this move to a 2 or 3 day prior to arrival cancellation policy back in February at Marriott and SPG properties for larger cities.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...on-policy.html

Seems like Marriott had quietly shifted that policy to a 3 day cancellation in a lot of locations. Not good and will definitely impact my business travel, at least until the other chains follow Marriott's lead.

Regards,

RIP...
Old Jun 16, 2017, 6:32 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Explorer789
In my experience, third-party travel sites do not have a better cancellation policy than booking directly with the hotel itself. Usually it is the same, unless they are offering some promo deal or you opt for the booking insurance for an extra fee.
I'm mainly talking of: booking hotel inventory at the last minute, often at distressed prices; and of migrating to different hotels that don't have such a bad cancellation policy; and of booking via alternative channels at a time when I'm sure that the cancellation deadline is highly unlikely to be a problem for me. That all means Marriott will see less willingness from me to pay a premium when getting my business directly than would otherwise be the case. I'm sure I'm not the typical customer in this regard, but I expect such harsh cancellation terms are going to lead to the sort of distressed inventory dumping by hotels that will serve me well, ceteris paribus except for my adjusted booking habits. My concern is that Marriott is going to really nail the MR/SPG elites/members if this kind of change in cancellation norms stick and spread to "competitors".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.