Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Can I book non-consecutive nights to get 5th/10th free?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2017, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Hello,

Newbie question here. Is there any way to book with Marriott points to get the 5th and 10th nights free but the 10 nights are not consecutive? I need to book a hotel in Dallas for medical treatments for my son, but of course they are scheduled for 11 days/10 nights over a three week period, with the nights not all in a row. The most nights I need in a row are 4. I called Marriott and the answer seems to be no, that nights have to be consecutive, but I'm hoping someone has a different/cheaper answer. Thank you very much!

Jill
Old May 8, 2017, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
No, they must be a single stay of consecutive nights.
Old May 8, 2017, 2:02 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
I was once staying seven consecutive nights in a single hotel but couldn't get the middle night on points. I emailed the hotel explaining there would be five rewards nights over six nights of stays, but didn't get anywhere. Eventually the missing night opened so I was able to get the free night.

With that said, it doesn't hurt to reach out to the hotel and ask if they could make an exception given the circumstance. Worst case scenario: They say no and your in the same position you are in now.
Old May 8, 2017, 3:51 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CPRich
No, they must be a single stay of consecutive nights.
Marriott used to only require a single stay (i.e. the award nights didn't have to be consecutive within that stay.) But it has been a few years since I last needed to do that.

I used to make use of this feature now and again back when when we stayed for longer vacations. If I needed to pay cash for a night or two of a stay with the rest of the nights being award nights, I'd always check to find the cheapest nights during the stay (usually the weekend nights). I'd then use the award cert for the pre-weekend nights and the post weekend nights. And pay cash for the those cheaper weekend nights. It would tend to save me some money. To make this work, I'd have to call the Plat line and get them to make the reservation for me, but I never had any issues doing it.

As I mentioned though, I haven't used this feature in a few years, so it may be possible Marriott changed the rules on me somewhere along the way.
Old May 8, 2017, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all! Any idea what would happen if I book 11 nights straight on points but then cancel two nights in the middle after I get there? That would work with our schedule.
Old May 8, 2017, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 4currans
Thank you all! Any idea what would happen if I book 11 nights straight on points but then cancel two nights in the middle after I get there? That would work with our schedule.
You can't cancel individual nights in the middle of one multi-night reservation and get the points back AFAIK. People who think they might need to that tend to book the stay as multiple points reservations back to back.
Old May 8, 2017, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Makes sense. Oh well. I'll get the one free night for the five I can string together. Thank y'all for your help!
Old May 9, 2017, 11:05 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
To make a res. online as Hhoope01 describes, ask for a points res. for at least 6 nights, then click on "Customize Cash & Points." Then click on a revenue rate for night(s) in the middle. The catch is it will work online only if all nights are available for points.
Old May 10, 2017, 5:18 am
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
You can't join together two non-consecutive stays to make 5 nights for 5th night free but if you have a stay of, say 6 nights you can search for redemptions and then "customise" opting to pay for for any of the nights instead of redeeming and still get the 5th night free, so say you wanted to stay from 1st to 6th August you could opt to redeem 1st, 2nd August, pay for 3rd and then redeem for 4th, 5th and 6th August. Your night on 6th August would then be your 5th free redemption night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.