Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

MegaBonus Summer 2017 (5/27/17-9/4/17)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 15, 2017, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sdsearch
When it should post:
  • The stay bonus should post with each stay on which you earn it.
  • The brand bonus does not post with each stay, and according to what we've heard will likely not post until some time after the promo ends.

What kind of stays count:
  • Only stays on which you normally earn Marriott points count.
  • Award stays (including cash + points stays) do not count.
  • Third-party stays on which you don't earn Marriott points do not count.
================================================

MegaBonus®
Go ahead, earn endlessly: Get 2,000 bonus points per stay beginning with your second stay and an additional 2,000 points for each new brand you stay with.

See Details:
  • Register by August 30, 2017
  • Stay at any of our participating hotels and resorts worldwide between May 27 and September 4, 2017
  • Earn 2,000 bonus points per stay beginning with your second stay.
  • Earn an additional 2,000 bonus points for each new brand you stay with, beginning with your second brand.
    • The first stay establishes the first brand. Member will earn bonus points for every additional brand they stay with.
    • The brand challenge is limited to the number of available participating brands.
Book direct to get our lowest rates worldwide. When you’re ready, redeem points for free nights, flights, exclusive experiences and so much more.

Participating Brands (17) (from Terms & Conditions (which differs from promo logo graphic of 18)):
  1. EDITION®
  2. JW Marriott®
  3. Autograph Collection® Hotels
  4. Renaissance® Hotels
  5. Marriott® Hotels & Resorts
  6. Delta Hotels
  7. Marriott Vacation Club®
  8. Gaylord Hotels®
  9. AC Hotels by MarriottSM
  10. Courtyard by Marriott®
  11. Residence Inn by Marriott®
  12. SpringHill Suites by Marriott®
  13. Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott®
  14. TownePlace Suites by Marriott®
  15. Protea Hotels
  16. Moxy
  17. The Ritz-Carlton®
or in alphabetical order:
  • AC Hotels by MarriottSM
  • Autograph Collection® Hotels
  • Courtyard by Marriott®
  • Delta Hotels
  • EDITION®
  • Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott®
  • Gaylord Hotels®
  • JW Marriott®
  • Marriott Vacation Club®
  • Marriott® Hotels & Resorts
  • Moxy
  • Protea Hotels
  • Renaissance® Hotels
  • Residence Inn by Marriott®
  • SpringHill Suites by Marriott®
  • The Ritz-Carlton®
  • TownePlace Suites by Marriott®
Ineligible Brands/Stays: (from T's & C's)
  • Stays at ExecuStay and Marriott Executive Apartments are not eligible for credit toward this promotion.
  • Marriott Vacation Club® owner-occupied weeks are not eligible for credit toward this promotion and nights spent while redeeming an award are not eligible for credit toward this promotion.
Print Wikipost

MegaBonus Summer 2017 (5/27/17-9/4/17)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2017, 6:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Originally Posted by sdsearch
And you're still re-iterating it wrong. Because I stay a lot at the same place, just never on consecutive nights (and never more than one night a time). And so I'm getting 2000 points per one-night stay each time I stay (separately) at the same place.
How is bed hopping from one hotel to a second hotel considered "staying at the same place".?
Old Jun 25, 2017, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by txpenny
How is bed hopping from one hotel to a second hotel considered "staying at the same place".?
If it's hotel hopping from Marriott program hotel A to non-Marriott hotel B back to Marriott program hotel A, then repeat again next week, then it is "staying at the same place" in Marriott terms, isn't it?

Or if it's going one night to Marriott hotel, then going home, then going another one night to that same Marriott hotel, then going home, then going another one night to that same Marriott hotel, then going home, that is "staying at the same place" in every sense of hotel stay, isn't it?

Or if there's two of you, and one of you checks out in the morning by themselves, removes the bags, then the other one of you check back in in the evening by themselves, then repeat, then it's even more "staying at the same place" (but not during the day "staying" anywhere), and yet each of you earns 2000 points for each night after the first (each one of you earning alternating nights).

So, as you see, there's lots of ways that hotel hopping can still be "staying at the same place", depending on how exactly you define "staying at the same place". ("Place" is a word with no one precise definition of scope. Some people take "same place" as "same town", other people take "same place" only as "same part of the same town", other people take it even more specifically.)

Since you earned 6000 points, you obviously did not do just one long stay. So you too broke the stay up somehow. So that's why to me your "staying at the same place" does not mean "continuously staying at the same place". And I'm just pointing out that if someone breaks up the stay more, they can "stay at the same place" while hotel hopping.

Gosh, there's even thread on FT about hotels in the same program that are next to each other, partly because because want to be able to hotel hop sometimes without even going to a different block. (But of course that's possible only in a fraction of locations.) Many people would define the same block as "the same place".

So again, it's because you needed/wanted multiple nights in a row at the same hotel that the promo isn't working for you. Someone who needs a hotel only one night a time, and then goes home, and then goes back again for 1 night, will get much more out of this promotion than you, even if every time they stay at a hotel they stay at the same one (as you apparently did).

But in my case, I'm "staying in the same place" in that I'm always close to the same work location, but I stay at the different hotels around that "place". Ie, I don't take "place" and "hotel" to be the same level of area.

Last edited by sdsearch; Jun 25, 2017 at 5:29 pm
Old Jun 26, 2017, 6:49 am

I think we look at "staying at the same place" differently. I stay at the same hotel, leave my luggage at that hotel, travel home and back with a briefcase. Peace.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think we look at "staying at the same place" differently. I stay at the same hotel, leave my luggage at that hotel, travel home and back with a briefcase. Peace.
Yes, but again, someone could do that for one night at a time, and then this promo wouldn't hurt at all. So even with that explaining, you're missing the fact the main reason this promo "hurts" for you is because you're staying multiple nights at a time at the same hotel, not just because you're returning to the same hotel each time.

If you were going to different hotel every week, you'd have just as few bonus points right now! And if you were going to a different hotel in the same brand every week, you'd have just as few bonus points at the end of this promotion's payout!

So, again, it has little to do with whether you stay at the same hotel each week, but rather with how long each stay is.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 6:58 am

Yes, but again, someone could do that for one night at a time, and then this promo wouldn't hurt at all. So even with that explaining, you're missing the fact the main reason this promo "hurts" for you is because you're staying multiple nights at a time at the same hotel, not just because you're returning to the same hotel each time.

If you were going to different hotel every week, you'd have just as few bonus points right now! And if you were going to a different hotel in the same brand every week, you'd have just as few bonus points at the end of promotion payout!

So, again, it has little to do with whether you stay at the same hotel each week, but rather with how long each stay is.
Look, I give! Peace.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 4:06 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
New Marriott Rewards participant here (joined Marriott in Jan), and I am looking to stay at the Hotel Beaux Arts in Miami next week. From what I understand, it is a JW brand hotel, but does not participate in Marriott Rewards. I assume this also means my stay will not count towards this MB at all?

I was really interested in this property, but missing out on what would be ~$80 in rewards is considerable. Are there other good alternatives in MIA?
Old Jun 28, 2017, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aero137
New Marriott Rewards participant here (joined Marriott in Jan), and I am looking to stay at the Hotel Beaux Arts in Miami next week. From what I understand, it is a JW brand hotel, but does not participate in Marriott Rewards. I assume this also means my stay will not count towards this MB at all?

I was really interested in this property, but missing out on what would be ~$80 in rewards is considerable. Are there other good alternatives in MIA?
Yes, indeed. I don't know why, but it certainly says on their website:
"Hotel no longer participates in Marriott Rewards"

So it won't count toward this MegaBonus.

You can get a list of all Miami hotels that actually participate in Marriott Rewards here:

http://www.marriott.com/search/submi...corporateCode=

because it's an award search, so it automatically excludes any hotel (like the above) which does not participate in Marriott Rewards. That doesn't mean you have to book the hotel on a points award, it's just a way to filter out hotels that don't participate (since they don't accept points awards either) from the search and thus to verify that any hotels that do show up in the search particpate.

The JW Marriott Marquis Miami is the best-rated (4.7/5), but the Hotel Beaux Arts Miami does not show a rating, so I don't know how to compare that way. But if you look at a map, you'll see that it's just around the corner from (and in the same block as) the Hotel Beaux Arts Miami. So both in location and in ratings terms, it might be the best match? They both also seem to have similar rates, at least for the few nights I checked.

But since you didn't explain what drew you to the Hotel Beaux Arts Miami, it's hard to know for sure if the JW Marriott Marquis Miami or one of the other properties will be the best "replacement" property for you.

Last edited by sdsearch; Jun 28, 2017 at 4:54 pm
Old Jun 28, 2017, 5:41 pm

Programs: Delta PM 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Yes, indeed. I don't know why, but it certainly says on their website:
"Hotel no longer participates in Marriott Rewards"

So it won't count toward this MegaBonus.

You can get a list of all Miami hotels that actually participate in Marriott Rewards here:

http://www.marriott.com/search/submi...corporateCode=

because it's an award search, so it automatically excludes any hotel (like the above) which does not participate in Marriott Rewards. That doesn't mean you have to book the hotel on a points award, it's just a way to filter out hotels that don't participate (since they don't accept points awards either) from the search and thus to verify that any hotels that do show up in the search particpate.

The JW Marriott Marquis Miami is the best-rated (4.7/5), but the Hotel Beaux Arts Miami does not show a rating, so I don't know how to compare that way. But if you look at a map, you'll see that it's just around the corner from (and in the same block as) the Hotel Beaux Arts Miami. So both in location and in ratings terms, it might be the best match? They both also seem to have similar rates, at least for the few nights I checked.

But since you didn't explain what drew you to the Hotel Beaux Arts Miami, it's hard to know for sure if the JW Marriott Marquis Miami or one of the other properties will be the best "replacement" property for you.
The Beaux Arts is in the same building as the JW Marquis, they have 4 floors above the JW with a separate check in and then the JW has two more floors above. The Arts is a very high tech property and the rooms have a staggering amount of technology, so much so, that you get a crash course on how to use it. The lounge is small and not that plentiful. i strongly suggest you stay at the JW
Where the lounge is very large and very well laid out, brekkie is one of the best in the US, appetizers are plentiful and varied from day to day. Hope this helps.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 11:57 am

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott LT Titanium, '20 Ambassador
So I thought I wasn't getting the 2k megabonus per stay posted to my account because I typically get 2k of "extra" points per stay anyway (500 platinum gift, 500x3 for declining daily cleaning). I had a stay this week that should had earned just the 500 platinum extra (no cleaning bonus), and received 2k extra points which clued me in that was where the megabonus per stay being was provided.

It appears for 2-3 weeks in a row now I have received exactly 2k extra points which is probably for the megabonus and received none of the other extra points I would normally receive. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Last edited by JonasCLT; Jun 30, 2017 at 11:57 am Reason: spellcheck
Old Jul 1, 2017, 7:59 am

Programs: American - Platinum Pro, Marriott - Platinum
look, i give! Peace.
:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d
Old Jul 1, 2017, 9:04 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium; UA 1K; Hertz Presidents Club
Originally Posted by JonasCLT
So I thought I wasn't getting the 2k megabonus per stay posted to my account because I typically get 2k of "extra" points per stay anyway (500 platinum gift, 500x3 for declining daily cleaning). I had a stay this week that should had earned just the 500 platinum extra (no cleaning bonus), and received 2k extra points which clued me in that was where the megabonus per stay being was provided.

It appears for 2-3 weeks in a row now I have received exactly 2k extra points which is probably for the megabonus and received none of the other extra points I would normally receive. Is anyone else experiencing this?
I just completed a stay and didn't get housekeeping and received 3,500 points. I am assuming it is the Platinum Amenity Gift (500), Refused Housekeeping (1,000), and MegaBonus (2,000). Looks like you didn't receive the points from the hotel. I am waiting for another stay to post today to verify that is where the MegaBonus points are supposed to show up because I was expecting a separate line item in my account specifically for the MegaBonus.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JonasCLT

They appear separately in parentheses. For my latest stay (one night, to max out this promo), it shows "XXXX points (YYYY + ZZZ elite + 2500)", with the 500 being the platinum check-in bonus, and the 2000 being the megabonus, adding up to 2500. (I'm doing only one-night stays during this promo so it's easy to spot for me.)

Keep in mind that some hotels offer to give you something else in place of the check-in bonus. So if you only show +2000 in the parentheses, maybe you got something else instead of the bonus points?

Last edited by sdsearch; Jul 2, 2017 at 10:05 am Reason: corrected details
Old Jul 1, 2017, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Deleted by author

Last edited by Points Scrounger; Jul 1, 2017 at 2:04 pm
Old Jul 1, 2017, 12:40 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum (100)
Hello...sorry for posting this as I am a relative MR newbie (LT Plat/Ambassador Plat with SPG).

I just completed a two-night stay which was at a brand I haven't stayed at during the current Megabonus period so the post on the account looked like this for a USD199 rate:

3,980 base + 1,990 Elite + 2,400 extra

I presume the "extra" consists of the 400 bonus points as this was a Courtyard property + 2,000 for the stay under the current Megabonus.

Question: since this was at a brand I hadn't stayed at before during the current Megabonus period, should I not also expect another 2,000 points as it represents a "new" brand?

Thanks!
Old Jul 1, 2017, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Even Marriott reps have admitted that the wording about brand stays is vague. Consensus seems to be that if that was your first stay during the promo you won't see the 2000 brand points during the post-promo sweep. You may see 2000 points from a second stay at that brand, but only the team who wrote the actual code/script for the sweep know for sure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.