Checked into occupied room again

Old Apr 27, 2017, 3:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by MarTN

Is there a Flyertalk thread where folks list their gripes about properties saying they never received info that was submitted through the app? We had it happen regarding arrival time several times.
Yes, there's a mobile app thread. Do a search & it should come up.

Cheers.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by joshua362
But housekeeping usually starts knocking at 8:01am, usually starting with the rooms checking out that day, looking for work. The entire team can't be idle from 8am to 12p. Its amazing how any work gets done timely under this system.
If every guest who left informed the hotel at that time, Housekeeping usually wouldn't need to knock on doors. They only do it because they don't know which rooms are actually vacant.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 6:39 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
If every guest who left informed the hotel at that time, Housekeeping usually wouldn't need to knock on doors. They only do it because they don't know which rooms are actually vacant.
But does this work in practice given the paper lists I see on the housekeeping carts at 8AM? Say lists are generated and distributed at 7:55AM with the most current checkout status. People continue to checkout gradually between 8-12 and inform the desk at a 1000 room Marriott. How does this info reach the actual person cleaning the rooms? I can't imagine a radio call to a supervisor after every checkout to update the paper.

Just wondering being systems oriented. There has to be an optimal way.

Perhaps a 500 point incentive to call or leave early?
Old Apr 28, 2017, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by joshua362
But does this work in practice given the paper lists I see on the housekeeping carts at 8AM? Say lists are generated and distributed at 7:55AM with the most current checkout status. People continue to checkout gradually between 8-12 and inform the desk at a 1000 room Marriott. How does this info reach the actual person cleaning the rooms? I can't imagine a radio call to a supervisor after every checkout to update the paper.

Just wondering being systems oriented. There has to be an optimal way.

Perhaps a 500 point incentive to call or leave early?
The hotels in which I worked were business-oriented in a major metropolitan area. We almost always had lots of departures be the time Housekeeping started cleaning rooms at 8am (or 9am on weekends). While I never worked in that department, I do remember seeing the Housekeeping Supervisors going between guest room floors and the office all day long. They always went to the office to enter the rooms that were vacant, cleaned, and approved for new check-ins. It was more efficient to use a computer instead of entering them via the room phones. While they were in the office, they'd get an updated list. Upon returning to the guest room floors, they'd tell each Room Cleaner which vacant room to clean next.

Honestly, I don't remember guests due to depart ever complaining about Housekeeping knocking on their door early in the morning. But, I always worked in hotels with excellent Executive Housekeepers. It took a lot of organization. An average or horrible leader wouldn't care and simply let their employees annoy departing guests by knocking.

Today's technology should allow for Supervisors to receive updated lists wirelessly via tablets. As rooms are reported vacant, they can tell the Room Cleaner which room to clean next. Of course, doing that requires hotels to spend money on technology and training. An average or poorly-run hotel probably won't do that unless required by the chain. (Same holds true for incentivizing guests to inform the hotel of departure with points.) I'm not sure that any major hotel chain thinks the problem is large enough to warrant an intervention.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 12:54 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
True story. I once opened the door at a Sheraton and found the room not cleaned and nearly a $100 tip in cash on the table left by the previous guest with a thank you note. I was decent enough not to touch it and informed the front desk.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 6:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
True story. I once opened the door at a Sheraton and found the room not cleaned and nearly a $100 tip in cash on the table left by the previous guest with a thank you note. I was decent enough not to touch it and informed the front desk.
That's a big tip. Was the room trashed?
Old Apr 30, 2017, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
A multi-night stay with a single tip left at the end, I would suspect.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 11:46 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by txpenny
There is absolutely no acceptable excuse to walk into a room that has not been vacated.
If you are referring to the explanations that have been made, those were reasons -- not excuses.
Old May 1, 2017, 2:39 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It was right after New Year's Day in Key West and I guess someone was being very generous.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.