Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Walked in DC last night at 1am as a Platinum member

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Walked in DC last night at 1am as a Platinum member

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
Originally Posted by username
MR's penalties is definitely great protection for us and hopefully it stays in the new program.

I remember checking in at a SHS in IL years ago, they put up a sign seeking volunteers. To me, that is a lot better than bumping people late at night.

Then there was this time at an HIE. I asked why bump a Platinum and the answer was "everyone is Platinum" With IHG, it is sort of true
Since OP originally booked the reservation with points, even as a Cat 6 hotel, how much does the hotel receive from Marriott per night? I would think it is quite a low sum. So as OP said, if the revenue paying customer rate was $450 per night, wouldn't it make sense financially for the hotel to accept the high rate paying customer and bump the lower rate customer? Of course this is what happens on airlines. The tricky part is that OP is Platinum, but didn't check in until 1am. Airlines will generally not bump elite customers unless they failed to check in for the flight in time. Overbooking is a risk the hotels take just like any service industry.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 6:41 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Time traveller
Since OP originally booked the reservation with points, even as a Cat 6 hotel, how much does the hotel receive from Marriott per night? I would think it is quite a low sum.
If I remember correctly, if the hotel is booked (i.e. something like 95% or more) the hotel actually gets reimbursed for the award night very well (something around what everyone else is paying.) When it isn't booked up, the payment is much less, but still more than covers their variable expenses for someone staying in the room.

So between the hotel getting paid fairly well for the room and the penalties they have for walking a Plat, it usually isn't in their best interest to walk a Plat. In fact, unless it is an unusual circumstance (i.e. like someone already mentioned where almost everyone is a Plat), I've heard of employees getting in trouble for walking a Plat (due to the extra cost the hotel incurs from doing so.)
Old Apr 24, 2017, 6:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by hhoope01
If I remember correctly, if the hotel is booked (i.e. something like 95% or more) the hotel actually gets reimbursed for the award night very well (something around what everyone else is paying.) When it isn't booked up, the payment is much less, but still more than covers their variable expenses for someone staying in the room.

So between the hotel getting paid fairly well for the room and the penalties they have for walking a Plat, it usually isn't in their best interest to walk a Plat. In fact, unless it is an unusual circumstance (i.e. like someone already mentioned where almost everyone is a Plat), I've heard of employees getting in trouble for walking a Plat (due to the extra cost the hotel incurs from doing so.)
I know SPG pays the hotel a lot more for "free" rooms when the hotel is close to being full. This goes with the SPG policy of every standard room being available for points with no capacity controls. I'm not sure how much Marriott pays the hotel in similar circumstances.

Yeah, hotels have an incentive to deliberately overbook at a high rate and walk as needed, but the policy is meant to make it very costly for the hotel to do this to a top tier elite. Of course, this only works if the hotel is aware of the rules and knows what the cost will be.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by alvarez16
Thanks for all the advice

To clarify a few things:

1) Yes, this was 8 miles north and I technically spent the night in Maryland (we crossed state lines). This hotel was also selling for HALF the nightly rate and costs 10K less points per night; I don't consider this "nearby" or "comparable".

2) The front desk DID claim ignorance about the guarantee. Even after I called the Plat line and THEY called the hotel, the agent said "they somehow claim to be unaware of the penalties for walking a Platinum guest". However, she made several comments / notes on my account about this and was borderline more upset than I was.

3) I understand asking for the comp nights + guarantee may be a lot, but I think walking a Platinum guest is absolutely unacceptable and should ever happen. Period. It is absolute greed on the hotels part to do so (I had a paid reservation which they would have collected money for even if I no-showed).

I'll continue communications with the hotel and Marriott Plat line (they informed me the hotel has 3 business days to respond to a query about an ultimate reservation guarantee).
Asking for both nights to be comped plus what Marriott requires is IMO asking for too much as the hotel isnt obligated to do anything about night the 2nd night unless they didnt have a room.

You were entitled to the 1st night refunded whether pts or $$, the 90k in pts and $100 ca$h as well as transport if needed to/from the hotel they sent you to

I for look forward to being walked since its very profitable and wish it happened alot more. There are folks that would never VBD off a flight and will go nuts if IDBed, Different strokes for different folks
Old Apr 24, 2017, 10:31 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by craz
Asking for both nights to be comped plus what Marriott requires is IMO asking for too much as the hotel isnt obligated to do anything about night the 2nd night unless they didnt have a room.

You were entitled to the 1st night refunded whether pts or $$, the 90k in pts and $100 ca$h as well as transport if needed to/from the hotel they sent you to
It was the hotel's idea to comp both nights, not the guest's idea.

The hotel made the Platinum guest travel 8 miles, to Maryland, on city streets to an alternate hotel that was not comparable, after taking way too long to find that alternate hotel. The guest had to get up much earlier to make that trip in reverse the next morning, allowing for inbound slow morning travel and a safety margin to prevent being late for a meeting. The hotel deprived the guest of getting anything resembling a normal night of sleep in the process.

It seems to me, under the circumstances, the hotel did the right thing comping both nights. The other thing the hotel could have done would have been to comp only the first night, as required, but then to give the guest an additional 30,000 points or so as an apology for an unusually bad walk situation. It would have worked out about the same.

Yes, the Platinum guest is also still entitled to $100 USD + 90,000 Marriott Rewards points, the published compensation under the Ultimate Reservation Guarantee.

I guess I wouldn't mind being walked by a Residence Inn if I were immediately sent to a comparable (or better) hotel on the same block (or very close) and I received the Ultimate Reservation Guarantee compensation.

However, I would be upset if I had to show up at an important meeting the next morning with 3 hours of sleep instead of 6 hours of sleep, because a hotel is inept.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 10:37 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by craz
I for look forward to being walked since its very profitable and wish it happened alot more. There are folks that would never VBD off a flight and will go nuts if IDBed, Different strokes for different folks
I appreciate the profit/value angle of getting walked, but that's not the only consideration. For example, I got walked from a big hotel near downtown LA to a resort on the beach. I had a huge room with a jacuzzi and it was all just steps from the sand. The hotel was amazing, but my business purpose for being in LA was a trade show at the convention center downtown. The additional commute time was a major drag.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 10:47 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
Back in the day, a decade before social media, long before blogs, long before viral was viral, there was "Yours is a Very Bad Hotel"

Still epic to this day.

https://www.slideshare.net/politicsj...very-bad-hotel
Love the bar graph on page 16.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 10:48 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Wish to point out if a hotel is still overbooked at the "deadline" (was 6pm DOA up until recently), it should know that it has a problem and should act proactively as they are financially compensated/protected with cancellation fees.

If giving away a room to a walkup with open reservations for the night then they are trying to collect double for the same room! And should suffer severe penalties although again the the financial implications are not as great if getting paid twice for the same room.

Last edited by joshua362; Apr 24, 2017 at 11:08 am
Old Apr 24, 2017, 11:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by alvarez16
The Residence Inn Downtown by Thomas Circle.

I don't care (in the nicest way) how common it is. Why couldn't they call me to tell me? Or have arrangements pre made? I sat there for 20 minutes as the front desk called other places.

I will certainly be using that guarantee but still feel like it's not enough. I had a three week old reservation and was exhausted at 1am. Moreso, I spent 200+ (literally) nights at Marriott hotels last year... id imagine they don't casually walk Platinum guests..
They could have called you, but they won't. So, you call the front desk and make it personal.

That way, when the guy who would have been walked is handing $50 to the FD clerk to show his gratitude and get "your" room the FD might think the better of it.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Time for EU261 Type legislation for hotel reservations. $100 compensation per mile away from the original hotel per night. Additional penalties for lower classes of room/hotel.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:11 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, National Executive Elite
I wish EU261 would make its way to the US!
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:24 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
Back in the day, a decade before social media, long before blogs, long before viral was viral, there was "Yours is a Very Bad Hotel"

Still epic to this day.

https://www.slideshare.net/politicsj...very-bad-hotel
I feel sorry for Mike!
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:34 am

As a platinum I have been checked in to the hotel (checked in via the app) and walked. Promised points and dollars never received - although lots of mail back and forth.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by llachance
As a platinum I have been checked in to the hotel (checked in via the app) and walked. Promised points and dollars never received - although lots of mail back and forth.
I would have contacted HQ if the emails w/ the property didn't result in the guarantee payout.

Cheers.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:53 am

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I've had experiences where I called to advise the hotel of my arrival time and I was still walked at 2 am. At the time of my call, the hotel knew that this would happen and didn't say a word to me until I arrived. It would have been so much better if they had admitted that they were overbooked and instructed me to go directly to the repolacement hotel. Instead, I arrived, my taxi left, and it took 45 minutes to make arrangements for another (horrible!) hotel and call for another taxi to take me there.
I have to say I would expect the hotel to advise me that I should go to a different hotel -- I would be super annoyed if this happened.

I have been checking in after midnight in DC. Haven't been walked yet, but I do normally call the hotel to advise of late arrival. I prefer the Park Hyatt there to be honest, better service and I have heard too many stories of SPG Platinum colleagues getting walked. Usually, it's not much a downgrade and not far at least.

A colleague got walked from one Ritz to another in DC recently, and he didn't even check in that late.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.