Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Value of Marriott 7 Night Cat 1-5 Certificate....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2017, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Hi there,

I earned this certificate recently and would like to know the approx value.

Can somebody give me a ballpark idea/range?

Thanks in advance
Old Apr 3, 2017, 6:55 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by atwnsw2
Hi there,

Thanks in advance
I would value it at 250.00 a night.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 10:21 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
The value depends on where you plan to redeem it. In the US and much of Europe, category inflation has pushed most hotels near major city centers and resort areas-- i.e., the hotels likely to have higher cash room rates-- to Category 6 and higher. Those left in the Cat 1-5 range are generally cheaper, with average room rates well below $150/night. In Asia you may find pricier hotels still at lower categories.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 10:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I hope this isn't a "how much should I ask on eBay" question.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 5:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Hi there,

Thanks in advance
Where can you earn a 7 night certificate?
Old Apr 4, 2017, 6:58 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by njcommodore
Where can you earn a 7 night certificate?
The OP ordered a TP award.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Thanks everybody for the input.....
Old Apr 4, 2017, 8:33 am

Here's how I value it (so I can decide whether it's worthwhile to convert):

If you paid MR points for a 7-night stay in a cat 5 hotel, it would require 6 x 25K, or 150K points. However, most people don't stay 7 nights in the same hotel (5 nights is probably the average). Besides, certificate should be worth slightly less because of its fixed expiration and lack of flexibility relative to points. As a result, I value the certificate as if it were only for 5 nights, which would cost 4 x 25K or 100K MR points. 100K MR points are generally worth around $800.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
I hope this isn't a "how much should I ask on eBay" question.
Check eBay listings in the coming week. A little bit after that wait for the OP to show up back here complaining of how unfairly he was treated when Marriott cancelled his cert and closed his MR account.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 10:17 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Hi there,

Thanks in advance
You might want to start by looking at lists of all Category 5 hotels. Right now, there are 693 properties worldwide: http://www.marriott.com/hotel-search/Category5.hotels/

You can play with the filters on the right to add lower categories and/or to limit your search to specific Marriott brands.

If you bring up a hotel and it shows $100 USD as the rate, that would normally be the lowest off-season, off-day rate. If you then enter dates for 7 nights for when you actually might want to travel, you're likely to discover the real rate is double (or even triple).

But, at this point, does it matter if a particular hotel costs $700 or $1400 or $2100 for seven nights?

The real question would seem to be, where do want to spend a week? You have the certificate. Now it's a matter of turning it into a vacation you will enjoy.

I disagree with the poster who suggested that 7 nights in the same hotel is too long for a vacation. I've taken many vacations with 7 nights in the same hotel. Yes, usually that involved a destination that would only have higher categories, but places like Albuquerque and even Des Moines also have much to offer.

With Category 5, you generally can't get a hotel in a major destination city or resort area, at least not a full-service property. But you can choose form plenty of decent select service properties, or full-service properties in many suburban locations and smaller cities.

Last edited by Horace; Apr 4, 2017 at 10:42 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.