Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

MR members : post your Starwood stay experiences after linking your account

MR members : post your Starwood stay experiences after linking your account

Old Apr 4, 2017, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I think many longtime Starwood loyals wouldn't shed a tear if the Sheraton brand slowly went away, at least in the US (int'l properties are a different story)
Old Apr 4, 2017, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
Interestingly, at the Sheraton Grand Beijing Dongcheng, I noticed a man in a jacket labeled "Marriott International" walking around the lobby taking pictures and making notes. That property could easily be updated to a Marriott or perhaps Renaissance brand rather than remaining a Sheraton. It was clean, modern and pleasant. The Grand Sheraton Taipei was a bit long in the tooth when it came to decor and general ambiance. It reminded me of the state of an old Marriott property like the Key Bridge Marriott. It would take a massive remodeling effort to make it shiny again.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 11:12 am
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Originally Posted by VA1379
My second stay was at the Sheraton Herndon Dulles which is next to the Hyatt Place Dulles East. (...) For this stay, I booked cash and points for a weeknight around 6:15 pm so I got no upgrade.
This is an absolutely terrible property. Outside of a room on the Club Floor or a corner room (only marginally larger but I prefer it as there is no chance of connecting noise on the bed wall), there is nothing to upgrade to here. Additionally, my one and only time staying here, I received a room where the top of the mattress was completely separated from the springs and bottom of the mattress (no way housekeeping could have missed it)
Old Apr 5, 2017, 9:15 am

Programs: Delta PM 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Argentina Upgrades

I am two for two on upgrade to suites, at the Sheraton Libertador I was given the presidential suite for a two night stay and at the Sheraton Mendoza I was given a very nice modern suite for my four night stay. I still have the Sheraton Buenos Aires to go for a clean sweep.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 9:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by CJKatl
In the past month or so I've had three SPG stays and three Marriott stays to take advantage of double points for six stays instead of three. I was upgraded to a two room suite for all six stays without asking. Although I asked for points as my welcome gift, all six hotels provided some sort of fruit or chocolate tray on arrival.

The biggest difference to me has been whether there is a CL. Many of the SPG properties either did not have one (LM Bangkok Silom) or had something that was below what you'd expect in a similar Marriott (Sheraton Prague). The Bali Sheraton is a Resort, so its not having one was expected on my part.

SPG hotels have treated me well; likely no different than a non-Marriott SPG Plat would be treated.
It isn't part of the brand for LMs and LRMs to have club lounges, although some of them do. The LRMs at Shanghai and Bangkok (Plaza Athenee) come to mind as examples of properties that do have (in fact, very nice) lounges.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 9:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I think many longtime Starwood loyals wouldn't shed a tear if the Sheraton brand slowly went away, at least in the US (int'l properties are a different story)
There are some nice Sheratons in the USA. In fact, the Grands generally have nicer lounges than equivalent Marriotts.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There are some nice Sheratons in the USA. In fact, the Grands generally have nicer lounges than equivalent Marriotts.
I don't have the greatest amount of domestic Sheraton Grand experiences, I'll admit that.

But I generally find the majority of US Sheratons to be boring, tired, uninspiring, dated...you name it.

YMMV.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 5:33 pm

Location: Base: EWR/LGA/JFK. 2016: BOM, DEL, HYD, BKK, SIN, HKG, ICN, NRT, LAX, SFO, DEN, ORD, BNA, IAH, MIA, MDE, BOG, CHO, IAD, LHR, LCY, FRA, ZRH, LIN, MXP
Programs: UA 1K, Hertz Presidents Circle, Ritz Lifetime Platinum Premier, SPG Lifetime Platinum
<Redacted>
Old Apr 6, 2017, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Club Floor upgrade in EDI. Was a nice surprise.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 9:15 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Le Meridien Hong Kong - Upgraded to a corner suite. Breakfast Lounge was nice. 2 free drinks upon check-in.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 1:20 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
I have been highest level or next to highest in all four programs for many years...what I can tell you is SPG and IHG are FAR more generous with upgrades than MR or HH. They also are FAR better with redemptions.

Suite is fairly standard, I can't remember the last time I stayed in a regular room with SPG.

We'll see what happens after the merge (particularly with lifetime) but in my eyes SPG is far superior. My only complaint is you run across a hotel in need of updating from time to time.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 8:53 am

Programs: BA, Marriott, Hertz, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Stayed at the Westin in SF last week. At checkin, the agent made a great play of how they were going to give me an upgraded room but in reality it was a fairly ordinary room/bathroom and definitely not a suite. View of the city was good but the windows in the place need some proper attention as they leak sound from the streets below (I was on the 20th floor). View from the 32nd floor very impressive as you can get a 360 view of the city. Also liked the gym, which had numerous machines. No concierge lounge though.

No comparison with the suites I was given at the Marriott Union Square and JW Marriott either side of my Westin stay.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 4:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, AA Platinum, Avis Pres Club, Hertz Pres Circle
The only reason I am not moving all my stays towards SPG properties is because I am just < 200k points from being MR LTP (since as a European base member, I can't get a MR credit card to top it off).

Cheers![/QUOTE]

I don't think credit card points count towards lifetime status.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:09 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by jimdarcy
I don't think credit card points count towards lifetime status.
They do!
Old May 9, 2017, 7:33 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Hi,

Just want to bring this up again, and so far all my stays comparing MR hotels to SPG hotels, it is really a difference of a infinity from elite recognition.
MR - nearly no outstanding recognition or just want is on paper.
SPG - so far all my stays including those no fully SPG hotels, I have been upgraded and given outstanding recognition.

Now I can understand why SPG members are afraid of the program after the merger. I do really hope the SPG standards will be maintained for hotels (especially those outside of US) after the merger which really makes you want to keep your status especially Plat. For me upgrades have been 100% for all SPG hotels that I have booked.

Hope the merger team will keep the SPG standards.

Cheers!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.