Best beach hotel in US

Old Mar 15, 2017, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Best beach hotel in US

I'm looking to take a family road trip in April and I'm looking for a beach hotel within a 12 hr drive from NYC. I don't want to drive to Florida which would be about 20 hrs. Thanks for your help.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 10:06 am

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by rtraveler
I'm looking to take a family road trip in April and I'm looking for a beach hotel within a 12 hr drive from NYC. I don't want to drive to Florida which would be about 20 hrs. Thanks for your help.
You can look into Virginia and the Carolinas,but the ocean will almost certainly be too cold for swimming, if that is part of your wish list
Old Mar 15, 2017, 11:18 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
Marriott has beach properties in southern Delaware and Maryland, which would be closer but colder.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 12:42 pm

Programs: AGR Select Exec, MR Plat, B6 Mosaic, UA Silver
As others have mentioned, 12 hours is tough as in April it doesn't really get you far enough south to warmer waters if ocean related activities are what you seek.

That said, if ocean temp is not an issue may I recommend Wentworth by the Sea in Portsmouth, New Hampshire. They have some excellent villas right by the pool/marina.

Additionally, it's just past your range of 12 hours, but Charleston, SC has some Marriott properties. I don't believe they are beach per se, but a great coastal town.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 12:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
The OP started the same thread in the SPG forum, has come to the conclusion that water will still be too cold, so is now looking for a property with a great pool & a lot of city activities, so perhaps further recommendations should be re: his new criteria?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28040527-post3.html

Cheers.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 4:30 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Delta Amex Plat,
Google Maps says the RC Amelia Island is only 14 hours away from NYC
Old Mar 15, 2017, 6:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
OMG - too funny & totally accurate

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28041720-post4.html

Cheers.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 10:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Setting aside OP's interest in staying in the Northeast, I'm curious what opinions are on the best Marriott beach property in the US.

I've heard good things about the resort in Alabama, I used to go to the MVC property on Singer Island. Marco Island maybe?
Old Mar 16, 2017, 7:52 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Which resort in Alabama are you referring to. I don't think Marriott has a Beach front resort in Alabama. I've stayed at the Grand Hotel which is on the bay, but it isn't on the beach. It is a nice golf resort though and I think my wife and daughter enjoyed the spa there.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 9:33 am

Programs: ua 1k, hh diamond, spg PLT, marriott PLT
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Setting aside OP's interest in staying in the Northeast, I'm curious what opinions are on the best Marriott beach property in the US.

I've heard good things about the resort in Alabama, I used to go to the MVC property on Singer Island. Marco Island maybe?
I would have to go with RC Naples or the RC in Dana Point. both very different but RC Naples has the best beach and RC Dana Point's facilities are really great. They have rooms with their own fire pit that are wonderful.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 10:14 am

What about the brands besides RC?
Old Mar 16, 2017, 11:01 am

Programs: ua 1k, hh diamond, spg PLT, marriott PLT
Originally Posted by marlin
What about the brands besides RC?
personally, I find the non-RC Marriott resorts in the US to be a bit lacking. Outside of RC, I would look to SPG as they have some good properties.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 11:58 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
I'm surprised nobody has tossed out any of the HI, USVI, or PR properties? I have no experience with Marriott or SPG properties in any of those locations, but I'd imagine any of them would be very nice.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 12:10 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by C17PSGR

I stayed at Singer Island a few years ago, I enjoyed the Hollywood Beach Marriott more.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 12:29 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by jimrpa
I'm surprised nobody has tossed out any of the HI, USVI, or PR properties?
While true, they don't meet the OP's criteria (which, in fairness, are not reflected in their broadly-worded thread title).

Originally Posted by rtraveler
​​​​​​​

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.