Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Courtyard Santa Monica - California [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2017, 10:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Hotel website:

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...-santa-monica/

Category 8. Located on Colorado Ave. Opening February 2017.

"Our hotel is located downtown for easy access to business, yet only 4 blocks from the beach, shopping & dining; and the Expo line just across from the hotel connects to LA & Hollywood.

In the heart of downtown Santa Monica, the new Courtyard hotel is right where you want to be. This hotel is just 4 blocks from the Santa Monica Beach and Pier and Santa Monica Place Mall and Third Street Promenade is a short 2 block walk; you can catch the Expo train, just across from the hotel

Waterman's Café, our onsite restaurant; 2nd floor pool and deck"

Parking
Valet parking, fee: 42 USD daily
Electric car charging stations : 3 , Complimentary

Property Details
6 floors , 116 rooms , 20 suites
Old Jan 16, 2017, 7:57 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
They tore down a beautiful Spanish Revival commercial building, designed by architect H. Vernon George, and built in 1928. The longtime tenant before the demolition was Midas Muffler.

The rendering of the Courtyard at Marriott.com shows one of those trendy designs of today that will look terribly dated in just 10 years.

Too bad they could not have used the old building (at least its facade) as the ground floor and built hotel room floors that complemented the design. It would have looked better, been more appropriate to Santa Monica, and more likely to stand the test of time.

Okay. I know this is a hotel loyalty program forum, not a historical architecture forum. But I had to get my two cents in.
Thunderroad and Kalboz like this.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From the website:
Other Transportation

Subway Station
Downtown Santa Monica 0.1 miles S
I guess Marriott can't customize the headings, but it's light surface rail, not a subway, which is about a block away from the Courtyard. It's the Expo Line, and that it's western terminus. (It does dive underground near its eastern terminus in downtown L A, but I don't think anyone in L A calls it a subway.)

Regarding:
Waterman's Café, our onsite restaurant
So a Courtyard with a restaurant rather than a bistro? Still, since it's a Courtyard, we can't earn points (other than on the credit card) for eating there.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsearch
I guess Marriott can't customize the headings, but it's light surface rail, not a subway, which is about a block away from the Courtyard. It's the Expo Line, and that it's western terminus.

Regarding:
Waterman's Café, our onsite restaurant
So a Courtyard with a restaurant rather than a bistro? Still, since it's a Courtyard, we can't earn points (other than on the credit card) for eating there.
I think you're right re: the subway/light rail, but if you notice in the OP (which I took from the home page of the property) that mentions the Expo line.

Yeah, it popped in my mind that it wasn't a bistro. The CY where I live has a sports bar in addition to a bistro. Can't earn points from the sports bar, but can sign to room.

Cheers.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I think you're right re: the subway/light rail, but if you notice in the OP (which I took from the home page of the property) that mentions the Expo line.

Yeah, it popped in my mind that it wasn't a bistro. The CY where I live has a sports bar in addition to a bistro. Can't earn points from the sports bar, but can sign to room.
Yes, but all that does is consolidate the purchase, right? Both per the terms and per my experience, there seems to be no incidental earning at CY, even if you charge it to your room. (Other than on the credit card, of course.)
Old Jan 18, 2017, 12:29 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, UA Silver (via Marriott)
Yes, but all that does is consolidate the purchase, right? Both per the terms and per my experience, there seems to be no incidental earning at CY, even if you charge it to your room. (Other than on the credit card, of course.)
Correct. Room rate only for CY.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Yes. As I mentioned in my post, no points earned but can sign to room (which means for those w/ Marriott Visa 5pts/$ because it goes on the Marriott bill).

It's good to have another Marriott option in the area, but Cat 8 is high for a CY.

Cheers.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 6:31 pm
BLG

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA Lifetime Blue, Marriott Gold, and many others
Thanks for the heads up. Certainly could be useful if you want/need to be in SM. With a little flexibility I far prefer location of the Marriott in Marina del Rey, also a Cat 8.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 3:09 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Surprised to see so little discussion of this property,

Any recent stays? Nice pool?

How is their treatment of Platinum Premiers?

Also - advice on the best nearby parking lot?
Old Nov 7, 2018, 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by MilesTalk
Surprised to see so little discussion of this property,

Any recent stays? Nice pool?

How is their treatment of Platinum Premiers?

Also - advice on the best nearby parking lot?
Recent one night stay on points a couple weeks ago as a Gold and no upgrade received. The hotel as well as the standard room was bigger than I expected, simple and very clean. Although I did not use the pool, it seemed nice on the 2nd floor if a little small. My guess is this hotel is one of the nicest Courtyard Hotels in Southern California.

Arguably one of the biggest selling points is the location. The beach, pier, Santa Monica Place shopping mall, Third Street Promenade and dozens of restaurants, bars and cafes are within walking distance. The metro station is next to it as well. Due to security reasons, during the evenings you need a hotel card key to access the hotel from the street. You even need a key to access the lobby restroom.

In regards to parking, I have no useful info. I do not know if there is any overnight parking available. If a parking garage in Santa Monica allowed overnight parking, I would guess it would charge for 2 days at maximum rates, making it the same if not more expensive than the $42 valet only parking at the hotel. If you really wanted to be creative, I suppose one would be able to park somewhere and take the metro to the hotel?
Thunderroad likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the trip report. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 12:03 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by hindolio
Recent one night stay on points a couple weeks ago as a Gold and no upgrade received. The hotel as well as the standard room was bigger than I expected, simple and very clean. Although I did not use the pool, it seemed nice on the 2nd floor if a little small. My guess is this hotel is one of the nicest Courtyard Hotels in Southern California.

Arguably one of the biggest selling points is the location. The beach, pier, Santa Monica Place shopping mall, Third Street Promenade and dozens of restaurants, bars and cafes are within walking distance. The metro station is next to it as well. Due to security reasons, during the evenings you need a hotel card key to access the hotel from the street. You even need a key to access the lobby restroom.

In regards to parking, I have no useful info. I do not know if there is any overnight parking available. If a parking garage in Santa Monica allowed overnight parking, I would guess it would charge for 2 days at maximum rates, making it the same if not more expensive than the $42 valet only parking at the hotel. If you really wanted to be creative, I suppose one would be able to park somewhere and take the metro to the hotel?
Thanks for sharing. I’ll be sure to report back here. My UG treatment may be distorted by high occupancy now during the fires.

I do know of some permit free street parking but it’s an easy one mile walk away. That’s my backup (I also have a bike share membership for SM so I can bike back and forth) but will see if i can find closer. Good point re: the lots.

Old May 10, 2019, 3:59 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Parking
Valet parking, fee: 42 USD daily
Nearby parking garage - $23/day credit cards accepted
4 minutes walk from the Courtyard

ABM Parking Services, Inc.
520 Broadway Garage,
1522 6th St, Santa Monica, CA 90401
Old May 11, 2019, 7:58 pm

Programs: United 1P
Is the hotel's surrounding area safe and enjoyable for kids? I plan to take my kids there for a few days? Thanks!
Old May 11, 2019, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by kgkg
Is the hotel's surrounding area safe and enjoyable for kids? I plan to take my kids there for a few days? Thanks!
I guess it would depend on your idea of "safe" and how old your kids are, but I think so. It is a few minutes walk to the Santa Monica Pier and Santa Monica Place Mall is about 1 block in that direction, too. Next to the mall is the Third Street Promenade with movie theaters, restaurants, more shopping, and daily street performances.

There are homeless throughout Santa Monica and there are always weird people loitering, but I don't think that has anything to do with the hotel or location.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.