Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Cavalier Virginia Beach, Autograph Collection [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2017, 11:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Hotel website:

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...ph-collection/

Opening July 207. Category 9.

"Born of the Big Band era, host to ten Presidents, a Virginia Beach icon: The Cavalier is steeped in stories — and has now been re-imagined for generations to come. Set atop of one of Virginia Beach’s highest hills overlooking the Atlantic, The Cavalier is among the country’s most notable historic hotels, and still brims with the elegance and hospitality of a bygone era. Following an extensive renovation and restoration, the soul of its origins remain — now accented by plenty of luxurious surprises aimed at today’s savvy traveler. This historic gem features 85 well-curated, opulent guest rooms, a luxurious spa and signature bourbon distillery onsite, three restaurants, an upscale pool, a Beach Club, access to a secluded beach, as well as 4,430 of elegant function space for grand occasions. Unrivaled luxury, refined hospitality and anticipatory service is the epitome of The Cavalier experience."

Free wifi in rooms and public areas.
63 rooms, 22 suites
Parking: $16/day
Old Apr 18, 2017, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Now opening October 2017.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 4:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Cavalier Hotel Virginia Beach now an Autograph Hotel

I've stayed here for a couple of conferences. Happy to get points next time!

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...ph-collection/
Old Jul 30, 2017, 7:06 am
Original Poster

I started a thread on it back in January '17.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...ollection.html

Cheers.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 7:24 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I started a thread on it back in January '17.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...ollection.html

Cheers.
Whoops...sorry about that! I stay in VA Beach several times a month and just saw it on my last search.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 7:18 am

Programs: United 1K, MR Plat, SPG Plat
Now opening February 2018, according to the website. This hotel is at the far north end of the Virginia Beach resort area. It is not directly on the (concrete) boardwalk or beach, but requires a walk down multiple steps to reach the pool beach and boardwalk (2 blocks up after you descend the steps). Also, because it is at the quieter north end restaurants and such are at least a healthy 8 to 10 block walk.

The Cavalier Oceanfront hotel was torn down in 2015 and was supposed to be replaced by the Oceanfront Marriott Hotel and Residences. PHR Gold Key was the developer behind that project. Not sure if that project is still in the works or not.

Marriott is well represented in the VA Beach resort area, with 2 CYs, RI, FFI, and SHS all on the boardwalk. SPG has a Sheraton there as well.

Regards,

RIP...
Old Jul 31, 2017, 8:44 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
The decor sure doesn't match the architecture.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Now open.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 9:08 am

Construction begin in February on a new $125 million Marriott (likely to be branded a JW Marriott) directly across the street from the Cavalier. PHR Gold Key is the developer for that project as well.

Originally Posted by OU812

The Cavalier Oceanfront hotel was torn down in 2015 and was supposed to be replaced by the Oceanfront Marriott Hotel and Residences. PHR Gold Key was the developer behind that project. Not sure if that project is still in the works or not.

Old Aug 1, 2020, 1:06 pm

It's been hot as hell in VA (20 straight days of 92+) so we made an impromptu getaway to this resort. It was such a surprise. One of my favorite hotels I've tried anywhere in the world in the last few years. Amazing historic hotel with great renovations. The dining spaces are excellent, and the Raleigh Room cocktail bar was awesome. $15 pp Plat bfast credit is slightly below avg for a hotel like this, but the food and ambience at Becca are top notch. Did not have time to try the distillery or Hunt Room restaurant with just two nights here. The real star of the show is the pool area at the Beach Club, wow. The golf cart shuttle between the Cavalier and the beach is very fast, so no need to worry about staying across the street from the beach. I felt like I was in Miami. Great service, awesome frozen drinks, reasonable prices, and more than enough chairs. The food menu was limited to to go boxes because of covid, but the Tulu restaurant at the Marriott is about 50 yards away and has tons of options.

Will be back next month!
Mr. Vker and ayande176 like this.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 6:46 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, MR Titanium, MR LTP, AA PlatPro, DL PM, UA Silver
Recently completed a two night, weekend stay as an impromptu getaway.

Booked a suite, and the room type was changed/upgraded one day after booking to a Heritage Suite. Ended up in the Thompson Suite on the top floor (702), which was well appointed.

Opted for breakfast amenity at check in, provided with paper vouchers to use at Becca. Vouchers included the "Becca Elite Breakfast" which consists of "two eggs your way, breakfast potatoes, choice of bacon or sausage and wheat/white/rye toast and coffee/tea/juice"; however in lieu of the "Becca Elite Breakfast", the voucher can be used for any other breakfast menu items - $15 per person, up to $30/day. Food and service at Becca were incredible, and the voucher is valid for the Sunday brunch options as well.

Easy walk down to the Beach Club, which was a great experience. Hotel guests are provided with a "Cavalier Beach Club Temporary Membership" card to use to enter the beach club. Card specifies number of guests allowed/per the reservation and states: "hotel guests are not permitted to invite guests to the Beach Club". Check in at the beach club was required and we were issued armbands to use to show to security as we came and went from the beach club area. Whirlpool was closed due to COVID, but the infinity pool was open and warm.

Really look forward to returning to this property in the future.

Last edited by LedgeT; Nov 7, 2020 at 8:37 am
Old Aug 11, 2021, 4:04 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Any recent stays? How are they handling Platinum lounge and breakfast? If still the same as @LedgeT suggests, that sounds good. likely staying here in October
Old Oct 17, 2021, 2:39 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Stayed here last week, from Sunday to Friday using points (5th night free). Submitted SNA request a couple weeks back but they could not be fulfilled.

property only has 84 rooms. It is large, but is mostly public spaces and they are beautiful and well utilized.

some numbers: valet parking is $24/day. No free alternative other than the sister Marriott across the street with self park for $20. Cars are kept in a small garage out back and are gathered very quickly.

resort fee is $20/day. We were there during a beautiful week and used the Beach Club across the street, next to the Marriott, on four days. Locker rooms, a Great Room, big hot tub and warm infinity pool. They will set you up with towels and loungers, and there is ice water and infused water from dispensers available. Also a great beach bar/restaurant that seems to be reserved for Cavalier guests and owners (there is a nice community of homes around the hotel) on some days, and open to Marriott guests on other days. We had very good lunches there two days. Definitely worth the resort fee, not sure in off-season of the value, but $20 is cheap these days. Live entertainment a few days a week on site

Plat breakfast is $20 towards the menu at Becca for member plus one guest, which covers most of the menu options. I had called the property to find out the bfast benefit and on the phone they said you could use the credit toward any meal there but that was not the case. $0 portfolio is brought to the table with a space for well earned gratuity. Servers knew our preferences by third day.

housekeeping is fully done daily plus turndown service with fresh cookies. Plenty of amenities and towels.

Pluses: large standard rooms. Great and friendly service. Beautiful facility. Excellent food
Minuses: hotel is in takeoff path of Oceana NAS which means fighter planes overhead from 7-8AM until 9PM or so, with multiple takeoffs/hour. Very popular public and private events (5 weddings this past weekend) can make the public spaces crowded, and the noise can carry to your room. We travel with a small white noise machine that handled that issue.

Lots of good restaurants within a 15 minute walk. North end of the “boardwalk” (three mile cement slab) starts just south of the property, behind the under construction Embassy Suites. We enjoyed great hikes at MacKay Island and Sandbridge.

Staff member did knock on our door just before 1AM one night, had our room in error. I mentioned this to the desk the next day, they thanked me for letting them know but weren’t at all apologetic, which was annoying. “He should have called the desk before knocking” was the response.

A terrific stay, I appreciate the recommendation of the folks here on the Bonvoy board for suggesting it,
Old Oct 17, 2021, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Out of my Element
..............used the Beach Club across the street, next to the Marriott, on four days. Locker rooms, a Great Room, big hot tub and warm infinity pool......,
Last day of the season for Beach Club is today, October 17th. There is no outdoor pool or beach access, other than public beach, after today. I wonder if they still charge a resort fee?
Old Oct 19, 2021, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by TerryK
Last day of the season for Beach Club is today, October 17th. There is no outdoor pool or beach access, other than public beach, after today. I wonder if they still charge a resort fee?
There is NO chance resort fee will be removed when the Beach Club closed. Resort and destination fees are rate hikes in disguise in the US. I have not heard of resort fees in Asia and Europe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.