Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Laylow, Autograph Collection -- Honolulu/Waikiki, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 10, 2017, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]

The property now provides $15/person credit in the restaurant, which will basically cover cereal & coffee.

Per Flyman:

They don't have the Executive Lounge while they have Executive Level rooms. What they have is an office-style galley on near the elevators on the Executive Level (15/16th floor) where you'll find coffee machine (powdered, not real milk), filtered room-temp water, whole fruit, and snack. In the mornings, they place ONE type of pastry (muffin/donut) and 1 type of juice - their version of continental breakfast. Plat/Gold can get to those floors (if your room is not on the Exec Level) by swiping your room key in the elevator.

The bar has happy hours everyday (4:30-6:30p), and seems to be popular with non-hotel guests as well.

Caution: make sure you get the room type you booked. FDM says there are errors between what Marriott shows for room types and what the hotel actually has.

TIP: From guest room elevator, don't take the elevator to the floor that says 'retail' it's not the ground and is currently a hallway with linens and storage, no way to exit to street. To exit the hotel go to lobby level (2nd) then take escalator to street.

TIP: Kona Coffee Purveyors is a great spot for coffee and pastries (sweet & savory). Exit the hotel and turn right. Just a few doors down, in front of the International Marketplace.

This email should work for contacting the hotel/requests:

[email protected]
Print Wikipost

The Laylow, Autograph Collection -- Honolulu/Waikiki, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2017, 9:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by izzik
This is what one of the managers has to say about the breakfast:

We do provide a continental breakfast up on the Ho’okipa levels 15th and 16th floor daily which you had access too. As we are an autograph collection that is our twist of a lounge, “as we are exactly like nothing else” as an autograph we are not held to have your typical roomed lounge. All is guaranteed is that we provide you a continental breakfast if not in our lounge in our restaurant. As we have the ho’okipa level this covers all requirements.

There you have it - people that know they are BS'ing elites.
Then I say FlyerTalk members should officially boycott this hotel, collectively write Marriott and give a giant middle-finger to the hotel.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 1:34 am

Programs: Marriott Gold | Hilton Diamond | Hyatt Plat | UA 1K | HA Plat| Hertz President's circle
I did email Julius Robinson "Autograph Vice President". Still waiting for a reply. If you had the same poor experience that I did email him. (first dot last @)

The sad thing is as a Gold I did BOOK and PAY for a room that listed out the perks that they never provided. I agree this hotel give zero s---'s about elites.
Yet people read the room descriptions that state

Special Benefits

Complimentary food:
- Continental breakfast
- midday snack
Complimentary non-alcoholic beverages

This place will fail with guest who PAY to get a room with these perks and end up getting a donut.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 4:44 pm

Programs: Marriott titanium elite, Hilton Diamond
Just checked into The Laylow.

In lieu of a lounge they now give a $15 food and beverage credit per person (max 2) per day,
Or 750​​​​​ points per day.

This can be used ​​​anytime of the day.

The ​​​​free donuts and coffee are no longer available according to the front desk, but will check it out later on.

They see​​​m to be listening to the complaints,
Which is good.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 5:00 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by sutho

In lieu of a lounge they now give a $15 food and beverage credit per person (max 2) per day,

The ​​​​free donuts and coffee are no longer available according to the front desk, but will check it out later on.

Which is good.
What are the prices like at the restaurant?
Old Jul 15, 2017, 6:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Majuki
What are the prices like at the restaurant?
Absurdly expensive.

I stopped by in June. $16 for a yogurt parfait, $8 for cereal, and $5 for a cappuccino was $5 -- all more expensive than the numerous Starbucks and ABC stores within 5 minutes walk.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 6:49 pm
Suspended

Which is good.
Wait. This doesn't seem right.

Don't the Marriott terms and conditions require a "a choice of continental breakfast for two in the hotel restaurant or 750 Rewards points" if there is no lounge with breakfast?

For what it's worth, The Laylow website states "executive level" rooms come with "complimentary non-alcoholic beverages" and "complimentary food." I'd be curious to know what this is, if there's no longer a "lounge." This is contradicted by the rate description when you search for available days. The "rate details" on Marriott.com describes an "executive level" room as coming with access to "a daily continental breakfast display with coffee, juice, whole fruit and pastries."

If that isn't confusing enough, the "stay for breakfast rate" (breakfast for two) of $319 per night is the same rate as an "executive level" room.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Jul 15, 2017 at 6:59 pm
Old Jul 15, 2017, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Absurdly expensive.

I stopped by in June. $16 for a yogurt parfait, $8 for cereal, and $5 for a cappuccino was $5 -- all more expensive than the numerous Starbucks and ABC stores within 5 minutes walk.
The $15 credit will cover a cereal and coffee then, still cheaper than spending money at Starbucks yeh?

A savory oatmeal with sausage, egg and mushrooms is $14, so you would still be spending money above and beyond the $15 credit if you choose that type of option.

We will​​​​​ most probably just buy some cereal and milk at the local ABC store, and use up the $30 daily credit (for 2 of us) on the important stuff, alcohol.

We checked in very early so was given a corner suite on one of the lower levels, I'll see if I have access to the executive levels later on, for the advertised complimentary food and drinks.
Although it looks like you have to scan your room key now to access your level in the lift.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 9:36 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Absurdly expensive.

At that point, the full service makes sense. At least there the resort fee buys you one breakfast voucher per night of stay, 25% off at the restaurant and bars, $10 food and beverage at the poolside bar, and a Mai Tai.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 4:42 am
Suspended

We checked in very early so was given a corner suite on one of the lower levels, I'll see if I have access to the executive levels later on, for the advertised complimentary food and drinks.
If, in fact, this hotel no longer provides complimentary food -- even the rather infamous food of its "lounge" -- it could get in a lot of legal trouble because the hotel is still advertising complimentary food. Moreover, the same advertising infers that all non-alcoholic drinks are complimentary.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 4:43 am
Suspended

At that point, the full service makes sense. At least there the resort fee buys you one breakfast voucher per night of stay, 25% off at the restaurant and bars, $10 food and beverage at the poolside bar, and a Mai Tai.
Or better yet the Moana or one of the SPG properties with a real lounge.

You could have an amazing sunrise breakfast on the porch of the Moana for less than the price of a breakfast at The Laylow.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 1:13 pm

The Laylow makes more sense for us, especially for a family, rooms are larger with more sleeping space, one or two king beds and a sofa bed really help.

$30 a day (for 2 people) for food or alcohol is not a bad deal, all things considered.

Just got back from breakfast also, they have a continental breakfast option, with juice and coffee, for $13,
Which I'm assuming now meets the Marriott terms of continental breakfast or 750 points.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 3:39 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
The Laylow makes more sense for us, especially for a family, rooms are larger with more sleeping space, one or two king beds and a sofa bed really help.

$30 a day (for 2 people) for food or alcohol is not a bad deal, all things considered.

Just got back from breakfast also, they have a continental breakfast option, with juice and coffee, for $13,
Which I'm assuming now meets the Marriott terms of continental breakfast or 750 points.
The Laylow is shaming the system with Marriott
Old Jul 16, 2017, 4:00 pm
Suspended

It would be interesting to know what the continental breakfast is considered.

Doesn't the property still charge amenity fees, aka resort fees, despite not being a resort and not having a pool big enough to accomodate most guests?

I thought the pool was nice enough when I checked the hotel out, but it's small and doesn't get any sun because of obstruction from adjoining properties.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 6:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
It does.

Doesn't the property still charge amenity fees, aka resort fees, despite not being a resort and not having a pool big enough to accomodate most guests?
Ok, I just called the property in Hawaii. They are NOT a resort.

However, they have a 'destination fee of $25. The fee includes: Amenity basket - slippers, local goodies, candy, poolside treats whatever that is, $50 activity credit which I think includes cruiser bikes (first come, first served), beach & pool towels, poolside cabanas for free, 2 bathrobes/room free (I scortched her on that one) & nightly entertainment, also something about local calls, etc.

She & I went back/forth & I went about ballistic when she told me they were an Autograph Collection & not the same as Marriott. I (rightly) informed her that I & other elites know exactly what an Autograph Collection is & what it's required to provide. I also told her that other Autographs do a better job.

We went back/forth on the breakfast & she said they changed. I said they changed because they were getting their arse beat up by elites & Marriott probably stepped in. Also that since their website still said things that weren't true, that they better get it changed soon or they would be in doo-doo.

It's really, really rare for me to lose my temper w/ hotel staff but I came pretty close. However, she's just the messenger.

Cheers.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 7:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
It does.

Ok, I just called the property in Hawaii. They are NOT a resort.

However, they have a 'destination fee of $25. The fee includes: Amenity basket - slippers, local goodies, candy, poolside treats whatever that is, $50 activity credit which I think includes cruiser bikes (first come, first served), beach & pool towels, poolside cabanas for free, 2 bathrobes/room free (I scortched her on that one) & nightly entertainment, also something about local calls, etc.

She & I went back/forth & I went about ballistic when she told me they were an Autograph Collection & not the same as Marriott. I (rightly) informed her that I & other elites know exactly what an Autograph Collection is & what it's required to provide. I also told her that other Autographs do a better job.

We went back/forth on the breakfast & she said they changed. I said they changed because they were getting their arse beat up by elites & Marriott probably stepped in. Also that since their website still said things that weren't true, that they better get it changed soon or they would be in doo-doo.

It's really, really rare for me to lose my temper w/ hotel staff but I came pretty close. However, she's just the messenger.

Cheers.
Good for you. They lost out on four nights of business from me in June. I know many have emailed the general manager and Marriott as well.

The fee is a resort fee in all but name, though. The poolside treats amounted to flavored water when I spent three hours at the hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.