Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Laylow, Autograph Collection -- Honolulu/Waikiki, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 10, 2017, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]

The property now provides $15/person credit in the restaurant, which will basically cover cereal & coffee.

Per Flyman:

They don't have the Executive Lounge while they have Executive Level rooms. What they have is an office-style galley on near the elevators on the Executive Level (15/16th floor) where you'll find coffee machine (powdered, not real milk), filtered room-temp water, whole fruit, and snack. In the mornings, they place ONE type of pastry (muffin/donut) and 1 type of juice - their version of continental breakfast. Plat/Gold can get to those floors (if your room is not on the Exec Level) by swiping your room key in the elevator.

The bar has happy hours everyday (4:30-6:30p), and seems to be popular with non-hotel guests as well.

Caution: make sure you get the room type you booked. FDM says there are errors between what Marriott shows for room types and what the hotel actually has.

TIP: From guest room elevator, don't take the elevator to the floor that says 'retail' it's not the ground and is currently a hallway with linens and storage, no way to exit to street. To exit the hotel go to lobby level (2nd) then take escalator to street.

TIP: Kona Coffee Purveyors is a great spot for coffee and pastries (sweet & savory). Exit the hotel and turn right. Just a few doors down, in front of the International Marketplace.

This email should work for contacting the hotel/requests:

[email protected]
Print Wikipost

The Laylow, Autograph Collection -- Honolulu/Waikiki, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2017, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by edgewood49
So what's the verdict Is the Laylow a solid alternative ?
I'd say it's a solid alternative, especially for the price.
Old May 3, 2017, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by Horace
I'd be very interested in how The Laylow, Autograph Collection is handling the lounge/breakfast benefit for Gold and Platinum guests.

Where do Gold and Platinum members go for breakfast? What choices are there? Is there good fresh fruit, considering that it's Hawaii? Good Hawaiian coffee?

Please also post to MASTER THREAD: Domestic & International Executive Lounges Open/Closed on Weekends, so that Sharon can update the list.

If I were choosing between the two full-service Marriott properties on Waikiki, the lounge/breakfast benefit would be an important factor in my decision.
Not a gold or platinum member so I can't help you on this. There's only one restaurant on property, with the bar attached.
Old May 3, 2017, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by Rifleman69
I'd say it's a solid alternative, especially for the price.
I was about to book this hotel, until I got hit with the resort fee (euphemism: daily destination amenity fee)

SPG properties have one too, and I don't plan to drive/park

My money went to a Hilton family property...
Old May 3, 2017, 6:14 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by radiowell
I was about to book this hotel, until I got hit with the resort fee (euphemism: daily destination amenity fee)

SPG properties have one too, and I don't plan to drive/park

My money went to a Hilton family property...
Hilton has resort fees as well in the islands.
Old May 3, 2017, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by edgewood49
Hilton has resort fees as well in the islands.
Sure. But 4 of the HH properties in Waikiki alone don't have resort fees (vs. only one in the Marriott family, the Courtyard, and only two on the entire island of Oahu, both Courtyards).
Old May 3, 2017, 7:59 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
What does the resort fee include?
Old May 3, 2017, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by Majuki
Hmm, I don't even know! It doesn't say, but it is $25/day. Probably for the privilege of using the internet and the gym (parking is separate at $35 per day).

You can try to do a dummy booking, and it will sneak up on you.
Old May 3, 2017, 11:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Majuki
Mostly stuff you don't care about or get for free based on status anyway.

That's the universal answer btw.
Old May 4, 2017, 6:57 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Kacee
Mostly stuff you don't care about or get for free based on status anyway.

That's the universal answer btw.
Another universal answer: Stuff that should already be included with the room charge. I've seen pool towels as part of the resort fee - funny how they used to provide pool towels for FREE before hotels figured out they could get 10% more revenue without raising rates 10%.
Old May 5, 2017, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by radiowell
Hmm, I don't even know! It doesn't say, but it is $25/day. Probably for the privilege of using the internet and the gym (parking is separate at $35 per day).

You can try to do a dummy booking, and it will sneak up on you.
Yep, it's the day to day crapola...just include it in the base fee and leave it at that. Probably like airlines, hotels are taxed differently on fees vs the room rate.
Old May 5, 2017, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Rifleman69
Yep, it's the day to day crapola...just include it in the base fee and leave it at that. Probably like airlines, hotels are taxed differently on fees vs the room rate.
Maybe true, but I don't think that's the real driver behind all these fees at hotels. It's the buying public who book on consolidator sites, sort by price, and click on the cheapest thing they see. Quality doesn't win over those guests, nor would a transparent pricing model. Now, whether or not an upscale property should even *want* those guests is another matter...
Old May 5, 2017, 6:55 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
Maybe true, but I don't think that's the real driver behind all these fees at hotels. It's the buying public who book on consolidator sites, sort by price, and click on the cheapest thing they see. Quality doesn't win over those guests, nor would a transparent pricing model. Now, whether or not an upscale property should even *want* those guests is another matter...
Not sure you're properly crediting the pervasiveness of web searches these days. The resort fee trick (and it is definitely a trick to make rates seem lower than they are) is not aimed exclusively or even primarily at "low-end" guests. Nor does the trickery only appear if you use "consolidator" sites - applies equally if you're searching, for example, on AMEX FHR.

If resort fees were intended to trick only "low end" guests, top tier chains such as Four Seasons and RC would not impose them. But they certainly do. They do it because they know that a very high percentage of guests shop, at least to some degree, on price, and that searching and booking via the internet is now ubiquitous.
Old May 6, 2017, 5:59 am

I made a reservation for next month when reservations were first opened by the hotel. No resort fee was mentioned then and the reservation confirmation does not mention a resort fee. Will I be exempt from the resort fee since it seems to have been implemented after I made my reservation?
Old May 6, 2017, 6:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by JetAway
I made a reservation for next month when reservations were first opened by the hotel. No resort fee was mentioned then and the reservation confirmation does not mention a resort fee. Will I be exempt from the resort fee since it seems to have been implemented after I made my reservation?
Bring the confirmation w/ you & point out that when you made your reservation/received the confirmation that no fee was listed, therefore you expect them to honor the reservation w/ its original terms.

Cheers.
Old May 7, 2017, 10:06 am

They don't have the Executive Lounge while they have Executive Level rooms. What they have is a section of those Executive Level (15/16th floor) where you'll find coffee machine, filtered water, whole fruit, and snack. In the mornings, they place malasada donuts and orange juice - their version of continental breakfast. Plat/Gold can get to those floors (if your room is not on the Exec Level) by swiping your room key in the elevator.

The bar has happy hours everyday (4:30-6:30p), and seems to be popular with non-hotel guests as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.