Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Chase Free Night Certificate - Pre-Aug 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 27, 2018, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
How do I make a booking using a free-night cert?
Follow these steps:
  • Check the "Use points" box when conducting your search for availability. You can also filter search results by category.
  • Select a property from the search results and click "Continue" to view available rooms.
  • On the property-specific page, you will see several tabs at the top for various rate categories. You should automatically see award rooms; if not, click "Rewards Points" on the tab at top left.
  • Select a room.
  • On the reservation confirmation page, under "Choose room features," you should see a highlighted box with a note that "You have eligible e-certificates that match your reservation." Underneath that box will be radio buttons allowing you to attach your cert(s) or, in the alternative, to use points.
Can I exchange a soon-to-expire free-night cert for points? Extend its expiration? What if the cert has already expired?
Marriott Rewards customer service will normally extend an unexpired free-night cert by one year from the date of the request. (Some members have encountered resistance, especially if they have canceled the associated Chase card; if this happens, hang up and call again later.) Each cert may be extended only once.

We have no reports of Marriott allowing certs to be redeemed for points, nor any reports of Marriott allowing expired certs to be revived/extended.
If I cancel my card after the annual free-night cert has posted, will I lose the cert?
No. Once a cert is in your Marriott account, it will not be clawed back even if you cancel your card to avoid paying the annual fee.
Print Wikipost

Chase Free Night Certificate - Pre-Aug 2018

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2017, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by beachbrew
Looking to redeem my wife's certificate. She's Silver i'm gold. I know you can transfer points but is there anyway to redeem her certificate and get the gold bennies?
The few times I traveled and a lesser status friend booked the room, I found just showing my Gold/Plat card during checkin got us the higher on-site bennies but not the extra points. Ask nicely, the worst they can do is say no and you haven't lost any ground.
Old May 22, 2017, 3:14 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
As long as your with her, show them your Gold card when you check-in. I've used certs from my wife's account while still receiving my Plat benefits a number of times.
Old May 31, 2017, 11:53 am

Programs: spirit elite, MRgold Hilton Gold
as a data point i was told at check no elite benefits while using the wifes certificate even though i was with her. this was at the Marriott Bradley Airport
Old May 31, 2017, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by beachbrew
as a data point i was told at check no elite benefits while using the wifes certificate even though i was with her. this was at the Marriott Bradley Airport
This is a property's discretion but a poor decision. You might try posting the issue on Trip Advisor and maybe someone in property management will reconsider the decision. Traveling spouses may not be a huge number, but may influence decisions when solo.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 10:42 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Can I use Cert to book room for someone else to stay?

Re: Premier Visa Anniversary Free Night

Can I use my own Free Night cert to book a hotel room for someone else to stay?

Thanks
Old Aug 1, 2017, 10:45 am

Technically, per the T&Cs, you need to be staying there to use the cert. But a number of folks here have said that they have been able to add someone else's name to the reservation (keeping your name on it as well) and they had no problems.

The only thing is, a given hotel could actually read the rules and want to enforce them, even though that may not be what normally happens at most hotels.
Brendan and polyesther like this.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 11:24 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
I have posted this before, the Marriott Marquis in downtown Atlanta did not let my sister check into a room paid for with a cert when the cert was in my name. We had two rooms, one on points and one on the cert, and there was no problem with her checking in for the one with the points. She wound up giving them her credit card, and when I got there I checked in and switched the room back to the cert.
Brendan likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by hhoope01
Technically, per the T&Cs, you need to be staying there to use the cert. But a number of folks here have said that they have been able to add someone else's name to the reservation (keeping your name on it as well) and they had no problems.

The only thing is, a given hotel could actually read the rules and want to enforce them, even though that may not be what normally happens at most hotels.
Thanks for the info.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by hhoope01

I have 2 Chase free night certs.

Can I use them to book two rooms at the same hotel for the same night (I'm traveling with a friend)? On the one hand, I'm there and checking in. On the other, I'm clearly not sleeping in both rooms...
Brendan likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by swag
I have 2 Chase free night certs.

Can I use them to book two rooms at the same hotel for the same night (I'm traveling with a friend)? On the one hand, I'm there and checking in. On the other, I'm clearly not sleeping in both rooms...
You won't have any issues using them together like that since you will be there to check-in.
Brendan and polyesther like this.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 10:16 am

Programs: AA 1MM, AF Plat, VS Gold, Hyatt Glob, Sixt Diamond, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by RogerD408
The few times I traveled and a lesser status friend booked the room, I found just showing my Gold/Plat card during checkin got us the higher on-site bennies but not the extra points. Ask nicely, the worst they can do is say no and you haven't lost any ground.

Hi All - I have the three free night certificates and a bunch of upgrade certificates in my Ritz Rewards account. All of them came from the Ritz credit card. My annual fee is coming up October 1. If I cancel the card will I lose all the certificates? I couldn't find an answer by searching the forums/threads. Thanks!
Old Sep 23, 2017, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bennytma
Hi All - I have the three free night certificates and a bunch of upgrade certificates in my Ritz Rewards account. All of them came from the Ritz credit card. My annual fee is coming up October 1. If I cancel the card will I lose all the certificates? I couldn't find an answer by searching the forums/threads. Thanks!
I do not have any details on those certs. I'd suggest reading the T&Cs for the certs to see if they state you must be a card holder at time of redemption. Only you can decide if the annual fee is worth keeping the certs.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 1:15 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
Originally Posted by bennytma
They will not go away - but they do expire around the time your annual fee is charged.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by allset2travel
Re: Premier Visa Anniversary Free Night

Can I use my own Free Night cert to book a hotel room for someone else to stay?

Thanks
I have done this a few times, added the person's name to the reservation online when making it, but just to be sure I always call the front desk before they arrive to set it up. I say "My friend/son/whoever will be using this room (or arriving before me, as the case may be) and I want to make sure there are no problems checking in without me." I honestly don't think the hotel cares whether it is a points redemption or a certificate.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tizzette
I have done this a few times, added the person's name to the reservation online when making it, but just to be sure I always call the front desk before they arrive to set it up. I say "My friend/son/whoever will be using this room (or arriving before me, as the case may be) and I want to make sure there are no problems checking in without me." I honestly don't think the hotel cares whether it is a points redemption or a certificate.
I believe the hotels see it in the system as a point redemption because they always said the night was paid by points. No one said paid by cert.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.