Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Grand Bohemian Hotel Mountain Brook - Birmingham AL [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2015, 12:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Supposedly opening in October 2015. Cat 8.

"The Grand Bohemian Hotel Mountain Brook will mark The Kessler Collection’s first property in Alabama. Designed to celebrate creativity and inspire the soul, the 100-room luxury boutique hotel, located in the city’s Lane Park development and adjacent to the Birmingham Botanical Gardens, will incorporate diverse offerings for both meetings and leisure stays including an on-site Grand Bohemian Gallery featuring national, International and local artists, interactive wine blending and cooking school experiences and a signature Poseidon Spa. Guests will also enjoy farm-to-table culinary offerings featuring regional ingredients and private dining for both business and social events at the vibrant rooftop restaurant and terrace providing breathtaking views of the sought-after Southern escape."
Old Oct 9, 2015, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Marriott did a press release today on 3 new Autograph Collection properties. Grand Bohemian Hotel Mountain Brook was one of them.

"Located in the affluent Mountain Brook suburb of Birmingham, Alabama, Grand Bohemian Hotel Mountain Brook is a 100-room boutique hotel with a touch of bohemian inspiration and artistic offerings.

At the heart of the hotel is an on-site Grand Bohemian Art Gallery. Designed to inspire the collector in each guest, the hotel’s gallery showcases stunning works of art, exhibitions and art receptions by local, regional and internationally recognized artists including Georgian glass artist, Licha Ochoa, and French expressionist, Jean Claude Roy. Wine enthusiasts have the opportunity to experience the art of winemaking through wine blending sessions led by a team of expert sommeliers. This educational experience includes tasting and and blending a custom wine. Interactive cooking classes are also available at the hotel’s Kessler Cooking School. Other standout features include the signature Poseidon Spa and a vibrant rooftop restaurant and terrace with breathtaking views. The property’s 12,630 square feet of customizable event space provides unlimited options for special gatherings, meetings or events."

Cheers.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Property officially opens October 21st.

Cheers.
Old May 7, 2018, 6:50 am
CLG

Programs: United Platinum, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Circle
Any experiences at this hotel? Curious about their treatment of Gold elites... I’m adjusting to my new reality as a fallen Platinum
Old May 30, 2018, 11:34 am

Programs: Marriott/SPG Ambassador, Delta Diamond, Hertz Platinum
This is one of my favorite Autograph properties in the world. Just an all-around beautiful hotel that’s high-end but unpretentious. There’s a massive restaurant on site that draws non-guests as customers, and breakfast for Platinums is included there.

Note: My last stay here was in August or September 2016, so the breakfast info may be outdated. Call to be sure, but aside from that I can’t recommend this property enough.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 7:43 pm

Programs: Delta Flyer
Eh

I really wanted to like this place. Several observations make my recent two night stay mediocre, at best, a poor quality for my money at worst.

-valet/check-in service confusing and slightly unorganized. Plenty of staff but a lot of needless running around and not a whole lot of door opening. Most of the time I like handling this by myself, but I needed help this weekend and none was to be found.

-no upgrade for plat premiere. I understand perhaps the hotel was filled up? But it’s always nice when there’s an explanation.

-BREAKFAST. The complimentary breakfast here is an $8.00 credit per person or a “coffee, toast or English muffin.” And the buffet is not cheap (for Birmingham). It’s almost insulting the inconsistency to which breakfasts are applied across brands now. The manager seemed to apologize but pinned the blame solely on Marriott corporate.

Roll-away bed-$20 a night? Come on.

all in all a slick looking hotel — sort of. Reminiscent of Turkish boutiques in many respects, but without the service charm. For context, Rooms were going for $800 week before check in. If I’m going to pay st Regis prices, expect something close to that level of service

I appreciate what the Kessler group is trying to do, but my stay raises the question — is the quality of this brand more than skin deep? Based on prior reviews, I wanted to believe... but I just can’t.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 6:29 am
CLG

Programs: United Platinum, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Circle
Originally Posted by Bozzie4
I really wanted to like this place. Several observations make my recent two night stay mediocre, at best, a poor quality for my money at worst.

-valet/check-in service confusing and slightly unorganized. Plenty of staff but a lot of needless running around and not a whole lot of door opening. Most of the time I like handling this by myself, but I needed help this weekend and none was to be found.

-no upgrade for plat premiere. I understand perhaps the hotel was filled up? But it’s always nice when there’s an explanation.

-BREAKFAST. The complimentary breakfast here is an $8.00 credit per person or a “coffee, toast or English muffin.” And the buffet is not cheap (for Birmingham). It’s almost insulting the inconsistency to which breakfasts are applied across brands now. The manager seemed to apologize but pinned the blame solely on Marriott corporate.

Roll-away bed-$20 a night? Come on.

all in all a slick looking hotel — sort of. Reminiscent of Turkish boutiques in many respects, but without the service charm. For context, Rooms were going for $800 week before check in. If I’m going to pay st Regis prices, expect something close to that level of service

I appreciate what the Kessler group is trying to do, but my stay raises the question — is the quality of this brand more than skin deep? Based on prior reviews, I wanted to believe... but I just can’t.
Thanks for typing this up for me - it almost mimics my experience there as a Platinum from August 2018. Rates my weekend were in the $500/night range, IIRC. Breakfast benefit is a joke - has to supplement it for my 1st grader’s appetite! Housekeeping was poor, though friendly when asked for things they forgot. Spa was nice, but unorganized (so not the best for relaxing) and pricey like everything else.

Very questionable if I would return.

-CLG
Old Nov 3, 2018, 12:28 pm

Programs: Delta Flyer
Sorry CLG for your similarly odd stay.

I did not have a chance to observe the housekeeping staff as I opted for the $10 at the bar. Unfortunately, I had to call back and ask for the credit as you are supposed to present the hanging card at the restaurant at the time of payment. That information did not appear evident on the card though.

I travel regularly to towns where Grand Bohemians are located. With respect to geography and stay preferences, I am likely the target consumer.

I am even more upset given that this brand has so much great potential.

You won't catch me at one again. So much that could be right, but so much that is wrong.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 2:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Gold and Current Platinum, Hilton Gold
Any recent stays?

Have a night booked here in early January. Any good dinner recs nearby?
Old Jan 12, 2021, 8:19 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Gold and Current Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Nash_Andrew
Have a night booked here in early January. Any good dinner recs nearby?
Stayed one night the weekend of Jan 9th. Rack rate was about $250 plus taxes/fees and stayed using a 50,000 night credit card certificate (40,000 points was the point rate).

Checked in around 8pm and out around 8am so experience wasn’t extensive but a few comments.

Location is great. The town of Mountain Brook is a beautiful small town with dining, shops, etc., as well as the park, and this property is right in the edge of town. Walkable to everything you’d want to check out in the village; quick drive to other parts of the city (downtown ten minutes away).

It’s a new build hotel - would guess it’s about five years old. Tudor exterior that feels a little more like the hotel from The Shining on the outside than you’d like. Inside feels like it was decorated by your weird stylish uncle. Cool, but def weird. Some eclectic art for sure. It won’t be for everyone, but personally I liked it for the most part though some of the styles clash with each other which lends a jarring vibe. The Porte cochere is under the hotel and feels a little underwhelming.

Check in was easy and contrary to the comments on the thread service the whole stay was excellent. Friendly and knew what they were doing. Upgraded us to a soaking tub room on the top floor. They handled the dog fee well and gave our pup a treat.

We slept well in the room - great hard product - and when we woke up we experienced the highlight of the stay: the breakfast. As platinums, breakfast was included, and I’d gotten a card to cash in for it when we checked in. I went down to the restaurant in hopes of getting the breakfast to-go so we could eat in the room. Not only was the restaurant happy to oblige, the service was above and beyond, and the breakfast was delicious and very large - eggs, bacon, sausage, fruit, toast, coffee, and juice. With so many properties cutting back on amenities it was awesome to see these guys really step up. We were very impressed.

One design note and comment. Because of Covid we didn’t hang out in the restaurant and bar, but the facilities were awesome and we want to go back once we are vaccinated. There’s a cooking school, a large bar, a nice restaurant, a billiard lounge, a wine tasting room, and a beautiful patio for drinks. Really great setup. The one weird thing is that all of this is totally separated from the hotel - separate entrance, isolated on the third floor, and only connected to the hotel through what could only be described as a service corridor at the end of one of the hotel room floors. Just a strange design decision.

All told this was a great albeit brief stay and we look forward to returning.
Kevin Weldon likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.