Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Anaheim Marriott or Fairfield (Disneyland) choice...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anaheim Marriott or Fairfield (Disneyland) choice...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2015, 8:47 am

Programs: Former 1KMM now free as UA Gold MM, former HH D, Marriott Lifetime Plat
I've stayed at both the FFI and the Residence Inn Maingate. The FFI has a very close location that makes walking very attractive. Do note that I believe they charge for parking now and do not comply with the brand standard to provide any breakfast. So breakfast is on-your-own. And it backs up to the I-5 so a significant portion of the rooms have exterior doors that face I-5 (I was lucky and "upgraded" to the other side facing the park).

This summer we stayed at the Residence Inn. It's an old-style eight-apartments per building RI but in a bit quieter location--well, except it is across the street from the fire station. We got upgraded to a "two bedroom" suite which had plenty of space to spread out and a full kitchen. It's a bit further walk but certainly doable if the kids are older or still in strollers. They do provide a reasonable if industrial breakfast (due to the high number of folks they have to serve).

When I booked this year's trip the costs were roughly the same once I included parking and I'd pick the RI over the FFI every time for the breakfast and space.

Saw the new Springhill which is probably an equivalent walk to the RI, but haven't stayed. Also saw the Courtyard under construction next to the FFI--I can only imagine the line at the Bistro 30 minutes before park opening!
Old Aug 18, 2015, 9:14 am

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
All depends on what is important to you for you hotel room as far as priorities. Each location is going to have its pros and cons.

-If quick access to the park is most important the FFI is the best choice hands down, but you are dealing with a more family environment than a typical FFI...It s a very popular off site hotel for DL.

-If a family stay with kids and having off site perks is important, the new Courtyard Waterpark is the place to be, but you will be paying a bit more for the water park and it will be overrun with kids.

-If the full service property with lounge access and quieter rooms is important, then then Marriott is the way to go...but you will have more limited access to the park to get back and forth.

I am a Plat member as well as a DL AP holder and my expectations when staying near DL is MUCH different than when traveling somewhere else for business.

For me, proximity is one of the most important criteria so I sacrifice a few other criteria for that benefit.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 1:17 am

Originally Posted by untfan
Two other choices - the new Courtyard next to the Fairfield may be open in December, it popped up when I was looking for a room in January. Probably the same complaints as the Fairfield but the pictures I saw looks to include a Water Park which would be more kid-friendly. If your considering the Marriott Convention Center you may also want to look at the Marriott Suites about .25 miles further down Harbour - Actually heading there tomorrow got an LNF rate at sub-$100/night, it has a collection of restaurants within walking distance too.
I like the suites... We go about every six weeks and I stay there when I can. If you can get a high enough floor you can even see the fireworks (50/50 so far on upgrade to that floor for me I am gold). Plus there is a few restaurants in the parking lot and a brewery!
Old Sep 12, 2015, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Anaheim Marriott Stay over Labor day weekend (and DL Half Marathon)

Hi,

I stayed at the Anaheim marriott Fri-Mon of the labor day weekend as I was running the half marathon on sunday. I had booked a concierge level room.
Check in on Friday was quick and was given room 1739 ( end of corridor room facing east). Room was large and comfortable. The elevators use a key pad in the lobby where you enter your desired floor and the lift assigns you a lift (A-F)

On saturday morning the conciege lounge (18th floor ) was MOBBED with hardly a place to sit. The staff tried their best to keep the food restocked. ( runners had come back from the 10k and there was also a religious convention on at the conventin centre)

Later on at the pool which is nice , after a while we had to evacuate the pool (about 3pm) area due to a "code brown" incident ( someone had apparently p**ped in the pool and needed to be cleaned. From talking to people later the pool was still closed in the evening.

After running the half marathon on sunday I went back to the lounge where an agent was outside the door chekcing your room number off against a list ( apparently on saturday people had been inviting other friends/colleagues into the lounge when they would not have had access normally which accounted for the crazy scenes)
Breakfast was good with a good selection of food (no froot loops though) and scrambled eggs bacon and sausages.
Evening snacks were fine.
There is a pizza hut shop at the lobby level ( was open at weekends but closed Monday-Wed)
I was given a late check out of 1pm with no problem and got the 129pm Disneyland express back to LAX.
Overall a good stay despite some issues ( beyond the hotel's control)

Regards

TBS
Old Sep 12, 2015, 8:17 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
I don't know how the Fairfield Inn on Harbor Blvd. gets away with NOT providing breakfast to guests. I thought that's a mandatory brand standard.

I stayed at the Anaheim Marriott earlier this year. As a Platinum, I had a newly renovated room on the top floor of the original tower. Lounge breakfast was very good and was served in the concierge lounge in the tower, but when the hotel has too many elite members staying at the same time, breakfast is served in a room on the ground floor.

I could have taken ART to the parks, but I just walked to the parks via the Grand Californian. It's a not a bad walk when the weather is nice (which it usually is in Anaheim).

In addition to the other Marriotts near the parks of Disneyland, there's now another Residence Inn under construction next to the new Springhill Suites.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 2:01 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards A+; Marriott Gold; HHonors DIA
The Anaheim Courtyard Theme Park Entrance opened in mid-August and we stayed their the weekend it opened so occupancy was way low. Very convenient walk to DL and there is a Mimi's and a McDonalds in front of hotel so if the Bistro was backed up, you have options.

All rooms in hotel have bunk beds and bathrooms with double vanity sinks and both a shower and shower/tub combo. Rooms on th north side of property have a limited view of fireworks.

Great hotel and highly recommended to stay at when visiting DL.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 2:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by flown-the-coop
The Anaheim Courtyard Theme Park Entrance opened in mid-August and we stayed their the weekend it opened so occupancy was way low. Very convenient walk to DL and there is a Mimi's and a McDonalds in front of hotel so if the Bistro was backed up, you have options.

All rooms in hotel have bunk beds and bathrooms with double vanity sinks and both a shower and shower/tub combo. Rooms on th north side of property have a limited view of fireworks.

Great hotel and highly recommended to stay at when visiting DL.
We actually have a dedicated thread to the property, so you might want to post in it so people will have an easier time finding info when they do a search.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...heim+courtyard

Cheers.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 4:35 pm

Programs: MR Plat; AA Gold; UA Silver
Originally Posted by Horace
I don't know how the Fairfield Inn on Harbor Blvd. gets away with NOT providing breakfast to guests. I thought that's a mandatory brand standard.
Because the hotel is officially called "Fairfield Inn Anaheim Resort." RESORT. So no bennies. How this hotel qualifies as a resort I have no idea. It doesn't even have a nice pool. But it is right across the street from a major tourist attraction . . . .
Old Sep 12, 2015, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by jlb3
Because the hotel is officially called "Fairfield Inn Anaheim Resort." RESORT. So no bennies. How this hotel qualifies as a resort I have no idea. It doesn't even have a nice pool. But it is right across the street from a major tourist attraction . . . .
The resort exclusion specifically applies to the Gold/Platinum Elite lounge/breakfast benefit at four full-service brands (Marriott, JW Marriott, Renaissance, Autograph Collection).

The Fairfield Inn and Suites brand promises "Free hot breakfast featuring scrambled eggs, sausage, and other healthy options" to all guests. There is no requirement for Gold/Platinum Elite status. There is no exclusion for "resorts." But, somehow, the Fairfield Inn across from Disneyland is allowed to thumb its nose at this brand standard.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 10:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Horace
The resort exclusion specifically applies to the Gold/Platinum Elite lounge/breakfast benefit at four full-service brands (Marriott, JW Marriott, Renaissance, Autograph Collection).

The Fairfield Inn and Suites brand promises "Free hot breakfast featuring scrambled eggs, sausage, and other healthy options" to all guests. There is no requirement for Gold/Platinum Elite status. There is no exclusion for "resorts." But, somehow, the Fairfield Inn across from Disneyland is allowed to thumb its nose at this brand standard.
Resort applies to any property Marriott chooses to designate a resort as far as I know. That trumps brand.

Having said that, I agree with your comment.

Here's where it gets sticky.if you pull up resorts for California, fairfield doesn't show up. But if you click on the property website it says resort. I'd right for brekkie based on the dif.

Ps- fairfield inn has the if you're next t satisfied policy we'll make it up to you,free night. I'd go after that.
Cheers
Old Sep 12, 2015, 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Resort applies to any property Marriott chooses to designate a resort as far as I know. That trumps brand.

Having said that, I agree with your comment.

Here's where it gets sticky.if you pull up resorts for California, fairfield doesn't show up. But if you click on the property website it says resort. I'd right for brekkie based on the dif.

Ps- fairfield inn has the if you're next t satisfied policy we'll make it up to you,free night. I'd go after that.
Cheers
I would respectfully disagree that "Resort applies to any property Marriott chooses to designate a resort as far as I know. That trumps brand." How can it trump brand when the PUBLISHED resort exclusion is limited to specific brands?

Marriott.com does not designate the Fairfield Inn Anaheim "Resort" as a resort. The word only shows up in the name. Marriott.com identifies official resorts with "About our Resort," but this property says "About our Hotel." There are a number of officially designated resorts that do not have "Resort" in their name, but the resort exclusion applies. Either the "About our Resort" test is the official test, or it's worthless.

But all that doesn't matter. There is no such thing as a published resort exclusion to the Fairfield Inn brand's breakfast-for-all-guests standard. Again, the resort exclusion is specific to the Gold/Platinum lounge/breakfast benefit, which does not exist at Fairfield.

The official Marriott.com page for the Fairfield Inn Anaheim Resort at https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...naheim-resort/ has this right on the first page:

"No Complimentary Breakfast. Dine conveniently at Pizza Hut, Seattle's Best Coffee, and The Market right in our Anaheim hotel near Disneyland® Resort."

So it would be hard to claim there's no warning.

I blame Marriott International for letting this motel get away with this flagrant violation of brand standards. It tarnishes the brand for all the fine Fairfield Inns that play by the rules and treat guests right.

And it is a motel. It has outside hallways, which you won't find at purpose-built Fairfield Inns (except for very early ones) and which would normally preclude reflagging to a Fairfield Inn.

I would not stay there. I think Marriott International should it kick out. Maybe Rodeway Inn would want it.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 8:04 am

Despite the lack of free breakfast, I do love this hotel. I stay there every time I go to Disneyland (which will be Nov 7-11 of this year, and I've been there 3 times previously). It frequently commands high rates and is sometimes sold out. It also has partnered with Disney to allow extensive Disney theming in the hotel, which children (and many adults) enjoy. And I'd rather eat my breakfast at one of the multiple Disney establishments over Pizza The Hutt (yuck) any day.

Just because you don't want to stay there doesn't mean it should be banished from the MR portfolio, prohibiting others from enjoying the 10 min walk to the main gate of Disneyland . . . .
Old Sep 13, 2015, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jlb3
Just because you don't want to stay there doesn't mean it should be banished from the MR portfolio, prohibiting others from enjoying the 10 min walk to the main gate of Disneyland . . . .
It shouldn't necessarily get banished from the MR portfolio, but it should rebranded. The question is, to what? Does Marriott have any existing brand that it would fit in? In my mind, it doesn't fit in the Fairfield brand at all if it doesn't have the complimentary breakfast. I'd banish it to the Courtyard brand (though if it has 0% on-site dining options it probably doesn't quite fit there either), since that's the MR brand favored by people who don't care about a complimentary breakfast.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
It shouldn't necessarily get banished from the MR portfolio, but it should rebranded. The question is, to what?
Alas, Marriott International only has 19 brands. Perhaps Marriott needs a 20th brand...

The Oddball Collection by Marriott: Hotels that are unable or unwilling to meet the standards of any other Marriott brand
Old Nov 13, 2015, 7:48 pm

Just got back from a 4 night stay at the FFI Disneyland. Made a reservation for a king bed room, but my request for a room with 2 beds was met at check in for being a Plat (I decided to take my mom as a pre-Christmas gift). I was further upgraded to a high floor themed (Toy Story) room, so that was nice. You can watch the nightly DL fireworks from the hotel -- it's a great view, but unfortunately no music.

As a Plat I was given a bag with 2 little water bottles, a bag of microwavable popcorn, and a Kind bar. I also received a coupon for 1 free small coffee and 1 bagel OR muffin for ONE morning of my stay. There were a lot of these blue bags behind the counter, and I never got one as Gold, so I guess there were quite a few Plats staying there. Also was able to check in early (1:30) so that was nice.

It's not the most luxurious FFI. It has exterior corridors. It doesn't offer free breakfast. But it was a great price ($138/night) and a 10 min walk to the front gate of Disneyland. I've stayed here for every trip to DL and will continue to do so.

I saw the new CY next door - the water park looks amazing! Also, they are building a brand new Panera in front of the FFI, so another food option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.