Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Watermark Baton Rouge (Autograph Collection) to Open in Downtown Baton Rouge 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Watermark Baton Rouge (Autograph Collection) to Open in Downtown Baton Rouge 2016

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2015, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, National Exec

This will be the second Marriott property and 8th hotel in Downtown Baton Rouge. The other Marriott is a Courtyard set to begin construction later this summer. The developer is also responsible for the Renaissance Baton Rouge and a number of other major projects in the region. Most recently used as a State Government office building and housed Louisiana National Bank for a significant period of its history.

Developer Mike Wampold will turn the old State Office Building in downtown Baton Rouge into a 148-room Marriott Autograph hotel.

The hotel, set to open in August 2016, will be named Watermark Baton Rouge. It will be a full-service hotel, which will include an upscale restaurant and about 2,500 square feet of meeting space.

“The historic nature of the building, with the murals and the marble, it’s a very elegant environment,” Wampold said.

Renovations to the building have started. The work is expected to cost about $25 million. Last year, the Legislature approved a bill to create a tax increment financing district, or TIF, that allows for sales tax revenues generated by the property to be used to develop the Watermark Baton Rouge.

Wampold, who bought the building at 150 Third St. in March 2014, said he planned on turning the property into a Courtyard by Marriott. However, Marriott chose to award a Courtyard franchise to Windsor Aughtry Co., which will build a 147-room hotel at the corner of Third and Florida streets. According to Wampold, Courtyard prefers new hotels, instead of renovating existing properties.

But Marriott’s full-service division contacted Wampold and offered him the Autograph franchise. For upscale brands like Autograph, Ritz Carlton, JW Marriott and Renaissance, the company prefers to reuse historic buildings.
http://theadvocate.com/news/business...ll-be-marriott
Old May 14, 2015, 9:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the heads up!

Cheers.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 4:47 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
I am staying here this weekend; I will post a review afterwards
Old Apr 28, 2017, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by Adelphos
I am staying here this weekend; I will post a review afterwards
Thanks! Look forward to your trip report.

Cheers.
Old May 1, 2017, 7:06 am

Staying here in June. Looking forward to reading report.
Old May 30, 2017, 8:09 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Sorry for the delay in the report

This is a new hotel, in a former bank building. The lobby includes a restaurant, bar and checkin and was pretty lively throughout our stay. No suite upgrade, but I was able to specify a river view room.

The rooms are your standard modern rooms, with lots of plus, nice size bathroom, plenty of space for hanging clothes, etc. No traditional desk - there is a table area under the TV with an office chair, typical of many newer rooms. Comfy bed and AC. Housekeeping was pretty good and provided towel changes freely.

As a Gold, I was given a voucher to the "grab and go" vendor for breakfast for two for each night I stayed. In practice, that meant I could go downstairs and grab breakfast sandwiches, pastries, drinks, chips, etc up to about $40 or $50 total. You can eat in the restaurant area or take it back to your room. No real room service - someone will walk up your orders from this grab and go location or the restaurant for a delivery fee. The staff was pretty liberal with giving me stuff. The breakfast items were more than enough for two people.

The bar itself was lively, but there isn't a lot going on in this area of Baton Rouge during the day. At night there were some things around, but I got the sense it was LSU party town, I'm too old for that unfortunately. Uber was pretty available with a 5-10 minute wait.

Overall the look and feel is very similar to other newer Autographs I've stayed in. At a $149 wedding rate, I'd stay here anytime.
Old May 30, 2017, 9:32 am

Thanks for the trip report. Much appreciated.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.