Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand

Old Feb 9, 2018, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rxgeek
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.

Can someone who knows list the names of the hotels here in this long thread? Here are the names, addresses, email contact, commonly used abbreviations and some basic info about each hotel. (Location information, CL and breakfast information, UG experiences reported within the thread, typical room layout and frequently mentioned basic advice for different properties.) Keep in mind most posts indicate these are all great hotels. Hope this helps. CJK
  • JW Marriott Hotel Bangkok (JW) 4 Sukhumvit Road, Soi 2, Bangkok 10110, Thailand between the Phloen Chit and Nana BTS Stations. There is a pretty large CL. Elites mostly report having complimentary breakfast offered only at the CL and not in a restaurant. Some are bothered by the hotel's proximity to the Nana district and think the hotel may get some associated business while others (myself) have not really noticed this unless looking hard to see it. The hotel was recently renovated and there are a few posts showing pictures. UGs are usually to the club level regular room where the bathrooms are interior (no outside glass wall) and feature rather small showers but great soaking tubs. Unlike the other hotels listed here, the toilets are not in enclosures.
  • Renaissance Bangkok Ratchaprasong Hotel (Ren) 518/8 Ploenchit Road Khwaeng Lumphini, Khet Pathum Wan, Bangkok almost attached to the Chit Lom BTS Station and the SkyWalk. One can reach the platform without having to walk on public sidewalks and by using escalators/elevators in the building next door, so most feel this is the property with the fastest and easiest access to BTS. The CL is smaller than the JW's and sometimes gets full. Some elites report having a choice of the complimentary breakfast in the restaurant (which is quite good and huge) while others report having that request denied. Latest reports indicate the restaurant breakfast is offered as of April 2018. The hotel does not have many suites so UGs are usually to corner rooms which often have seating and/or dressing areas as well as larger bathrooms with full glass walls. IMO this is the best/most convenient hotel for a first timer looking to do typical touristy things in Bangkok.
  • Courtyard by Marriott Bangkok (CY) 155/1 Soi Mahadlekluang 1 Ratchadamri Road Bangkok is about a five minute walk to either the Ratchadamri or Chit Lom BTS Stations. The hotel operates tuk-tuks to/from the BTS Station. The hotel has a CL and consistently offers elites a choice of breakfast there or in the restaurant. The CL is on the top floor of the hotel and has outdoor seating. Having stayed at the hotel several times as a P, PP and LTP I have never been given an UG, so if there are others who can chime in on that please do. The regular room has a small interior only bathroom with a window overlooking the room and no tub, only a walk-in shower. IMO the price can makes this a great choice, as it is convenient to many places a visitor will go. Sometimes it can be half the price of other Marriott options and they often run double points promotions. (Call the hotel to ask, it cannot hurt.)
  • Bangkok Marriott Marquis Queen’s Park (Sukhumvit Soi 22) 199 ถนน สุขุมวิท ซอย 22 Khwaeng Khlong Tan, Khet Khlong Toei, กรุงเทพมหานคร 10110, Thailand is about an eight minute walk to the Emporium Mall and Phrom Phong BTS Station either down the Soi sidewalk or through Queen's Park. The hotel operates a regular shuttle to the BTS Station although some have reported trouble catching it back to the hotel. The CL is large, with an outdoor deck, and most people report not being given a choice for the complimentary breakfast in the restaurant. Most Plats report getting UG to a suite, with the M Suite seeming to be most common. It has a living room, bedroom and single large interior bathroom with separate walk-in showers and tubs. This is the largest hotel in Bangkok.
  • Bangkok Marriott Hotel Sukhumvit (Sukhumvit Soi 57) 2 ถนน สุขุมวิท 57 Phra Khanong, Khlong Toei, กรุงเทพมหานคร 10110, Thailand ([email protected]) is a two minute walk to the Thong Lo BTS Station. Getting to the station involves crossing Thong Lo intersection which can be daunting. The hotel is about a ten minute BTS ride to the central malls, the Ren, etc. The area is a little quieter and more "Thai" than the more touristy/business area where the JW, Ren and CY are located. Some people report being able to have complimentary breakfast in the restaurant while others report lounge only. The CL is about the same size as the Ren's and can get crowded in the early evening. The hotel is on the higher floors of a 40+ story building and the CL is located on one of the top floors, offering stunning views of Bangkok. There is a rooftop bar on the top of the building with great views, too. Elites are often given a coupon for a free drink on the roof. Plats report mostly getting UGs to a two room suite with an extra half bath. The main bath includes an enclosed toilet, a single large walk-in shower and a large soaking tub that can easily seat two. (While the tub is large, the JW, Marquis and Ren tubs are more comfortable for a single person looking to lean back and relax.) IMO this is the quietest of the hotels listed here.
  • Bangkok Marriott Hotel The Surawongse 262 Thanon Surawong, Khwaeng Si Phraya, Khet Bang Rak, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon 10500, Thailand is the newest hotel. As of April 2018 there are not many posts from users who have stayed, nor is there an abbreviation being commonly used on this forum. The hotel is not attached/close to a BTS or MRT station but is near the Silom business area and some more popular adult entertainment establishments.
Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Bangkok 35,000 Category 5
The St. Regis Bangkok 35,000 Category 5
Bangkok Marriott Hotel The Surawongse 25,000 Category 4
Bangkok Marriott Marquis Queen's Park 25,000 Category 4
JW Marriott Hotel Bangkok 35,000 Category 5
Le Méridien Bangkok 25,000 Category 4
Bangkok Marriott Hotel Sukhumvit 25,000 Category 4
Renaissance Bangkok Ratchaprasong Hotel 25,000 Category 4
The Athenee Hotel, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Bangkok 35,000 Category 5
The Westin Grande Sukhumvit,25,000 Category 4
W Bangkok 25,000 Category 4
Le Méridien Suvarnabhumi, Bangkok Golf Resort & Spa 17,500 Category 3
Aloft Bangkok Sukhumvit 11 17,500 Category 3
Courtyard by Marriott Bangkok 12,500 Category 2
Four Points by Sheraton Bangkok, Sukhumvit 1512,500 Category 2
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand

Old Jul 17, 2017, 5:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by CJKatl
As a Plat I've always been UGd to a two room, one and a half bath suite in over a dozen stays. That would be the main difference.

Your pics have made me "second home" sick for the hotel. Especially for the pillows you have in one of your pics. Those are my favorite pillows anywhere.
I think the messed up last time I was there and thought I was still plat even though I had dropped down to gold, so I got the plat welcome gift and the suite described above. It was great.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 2:40 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by Vince Chan
FYI JW is not really in a red light area,
To each his opinion/preference which is fine with me, but to say that the JWM Bangkok is not in the red light district (or next to it) is at best disingenuous as many visitors travel with families and kids and need to know this!

A photo is worth a 1000 words

Old Jul 19, 2017, 8:53 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
It always amazes me though when people comment on seeing young Thai women with men in the JW, which, BTW, doesn't necessarily mean there is a paid relationship. Unless you have your nose planted in other people's business, you would barely notice it and usually any perceived illicit relationship is made up in the observer's head and not based on any actual fact. It's no more prevalent at the JW than any other hotel in Bangkok. While there are many reasons to avoid the JW - old rooms, cramped bathrooms, a bad walk to the BTS, overpriced - if you cannot handle seeing PG-13 activity, maybe Bangkok is not the right destination.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA(EXP)UA(1K/1MM) Marriott(PP,LifeTime Plat) Hertz(5*)
Originally Posted by bdschobel
I'll second this comment. I know a few American men who are married to Thai women. Should they hang their heads in shame to be seen together? Of course not.

Bruce
I don't hang my head in shame when I walk in and out with my Thai fiance. I have been to the jw so much that they all know our routine.

Threw them for a loop in February when we were running around for a week for her graduation from the university. And none of the staff thought anything different about us seeing her in graduation clothes.

I love the staff at the JW. I have been staying there since 2009.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 9:59 am

Westin and Sheraton aren't really in red light districts, at least not in the proximity like the JW Marriott is. It's just that there are tons of working girls along that section of Sukhumvit, but most of them are just standing around playing on their phones. Personally I've never been approached by any in that area, unlike walking by Nana to the JW. Nana is right next to the JW so it's hard to avoid it sometimes. The next big red light district, Soi Cowboy, is on the other side of Terminal 21, which is closer to the Westin and Sheraton. I wouldn't say you see more in front of those hotels. No need to walk past a red light district constantly on the way to those hotels. The JW is close enough to Nana Plaza that you can start picking up their wifi walking down from Nana station on the BTS.

I did enjoy my stay at the JW, but since I'm more of a Starwood guy, I typically stay at the W Bangkok. I just booked another week there for my next vacation. I don't mind red light districts much since I feel they don't affect me much if I choose not to go to them, but I do like that the W Bangkok is farther away from that stuff. I don't even have to walk past any red light districts.

There are plenty of options in Bangkok for those who are offended by those areas and want to avoid them.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 11:01 am

...especially Thonglor Marriott, the only one that I didn't receive much special treatment...
Ironically, I've never received much special treatment from the JW other than getting a regular room on the CL level, which didn't even happen the last time. But that's okay. Other than an appreciated UG, I don't want special treatment. I am not there to luxuriate at the hotel; I'm there because the hotel is in Bangkok and there are things I want to do in the city. This may point to the hotel's ultimate strength: the staff can size each of us up and give us what we want, despite it being two different treatments. Kudos on that. But again, for the things that are important to me - nice bathrooms, least expensive price, nicer rooms, convenience to BTS - the JW just isn't best. Thankfully there are different choices for different preferences.

Originally Posted by eccentricfusion
...Nana is right next to the JW so it's hard to avoid it sometimes...
If you comb through this thread, you will see that I actually thought Nana was on the other side of Sukhumvit until recently when some people here corrected me. Having stayed at the JW several times, not noticing the activity and not being Mr. Magoo IMO illustrates that it's not noticeable unless you are a Church Lady looking for it.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 11:14 am

If you comb through this thread, you will see that I actually thought Nana was on the other side of Sukhumvit until recently when some people here corrected me. Having stayed at the JW several times, not noticing the activity and not being Mr. Magoo IMO illustrates that it's not noticeable unless you are a Church Lady looking for it.
Nana Plaza only becomes active at night, I walked past it during the day and never really noticed it my first two days at the JW. Coming off the BTS at Nana at night, you do need to walk past it, so I guess it would really depend on what time of day/night you are out whether or not you notice it.

I didn't even know Soi Cowboy was so close to Terminal 21 until I saw the neon lights at night, so I can definitely understand missing red light districts unless you are looking for them.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by eccentricfusion
Coming off the BTS at Nana at night, you do need to walk past it, so I guess it would really depend on what time of day/night you are out whether or not you notice it.
When I'm at the JW, I usually travel under the highway and get on/off the BTS and Phloen Chit, hence I missed it.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 3:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
When I'm at the JW, I usually travel under the highway and get on/off the BTS and Phloen Chit, hence I missed it.
Yea the area is easily avoided. if people are that sensitive to it then they probably should avoid bangkok all together. Even walking by or actually through those areas you aren't going to see very much and there is absolutely no reason why someone would have to walk into those specific areas unless they wanted to do so.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 6:15 pm

Programs: hh diamond,Qantas club life,AA EX-explat.SPG plat.
Just 2 days ago we walked along Sukhumvit from Terminal 21 to the JW.The area from Nana to the JW to us was a lot seedier than near the SGS where we were staying.Also from the SGS you can walk to the BTS Asoke and not have to be at street level.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 7:24 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by drron
Just 2 days ago we walked along Sukhumvit from Terminal 21 to the JW.The area from Nana to the JW to us was a lot seedier than near the SGS where we were staying.Also from the SGS you can walk to the BTS Asoke and not have to be at street level.
True, it is much seedier the odd side of Sukhumvit (the Westin side) with freelancers strolling the side pretty much from 6 PM to 6 AM. Very rare to see any "action" on the even side (the SGS side) where many Japanese, Korean, and Indian businesses are located.

Let's make a deal ~ 2:00 PM by the WGS
Old Jul 20, 2017, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by bdschobel
I'll second this comment. I know a few American men who are married to Thai women. Should they hang their heads in shame to be seen together? Of course not.

Bruce
We have been married for 10 years with two kids (ages 6 & 8) and we still raise some eyebrows when we enter an establishment in Bangkok (ie, servers not look at my Thai wife in the eyes or only address me - very disrespectful). Prior, had many relations with your "normal" everyday Thai ladies as friends or GFs and I can sympathize - true, people assume many things that are not true, but (moral judgement aside) a monetary relationship is not that hard to spot in Thailand.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Kalboz
True, it is much seedier the odd side of Sukhumvit (the Westin side) with freelancers strolling the side pretty much from 6 PM to 6 AM. Very rare to see any "action" on the even side (the SGS side) where many Japanese, Korean, and Indian businesses are located.

Let's make a deal ~ 2:00 PM by the WGS
The sole reason for the discrepancy from even to odd side (vendor, prostitutes etc) is that they are different police districts. The Watthana district must make bank.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 10:46 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Originally Posted by Kalboz
We have been married for 10 years with two kids (ages 6 & 8) and we still raise some eyebrows when we enter an establishment in Bangkok.
Been married 16 years to my Korean wife and we still get leered at in Bangkok. Neither one of us wear wedding rings, so maybe that has something to do with it?
Old Jul 22, 2017, 8:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
While the Ploenchit station may be closer, in order to get there from the JW you must cross the egress road of the highway which has no light or stop sign (so take your life into your own hands) and walk by one the skankiest bar areas located under the highway. Not even close to upscale !

Another thing I think is worth mention is that the closer BTS station near JW is ploenchit , not the NANA one (although there is nothing bad about it). So this is why among all the 5 * hotels located near red light district, including another SPG's property le meridien, I feel JW have the best location: it is indeed in the center, but I don't really feel it when I walk in and out of the hotel every day, and if you don't the red light area, it is easily and closer to walk to the upscale Ploenchit area , where you will find many upscale restaurants and luxury condo, embassy house there. From my room you will see how close it is close to Ploenchit station. JW is in the middle of two different area.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.