Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

MSP Airport locations & Park, Stay, n Fly

Old Feb 1, 2015, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat

Does anyone out there who uses MSP frequently, know if any of the Marriott branded hotels within 5 miles or so of MSP allow a Park, Stay, n Fly arrangement coupled with the night prior to departure being booked on points? Don't care if it is a Fairfield, Marriott, Springhill, etc.

In other words, room rate covered by points, and I would pay for the week's parking.....

Would really like to do this as I do not want to pay for the room rate with plenty of points in the pocket, but willing to pay for parking and subsequent airport transfers.

Thanks!
Old Feb 1, 2015, 1:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan
Does anyone out there who uses MSP frequently, know if any of the Marriott branded hotels within 5 miles or so of MSP allow a Park, Stay, n Fly arrangement coupled with the night prior to departure being booked on points? Don't care if it is a Fairfield, Marriott, Springhill, etc.

In other words, room rate covered by points, and I would pay for the week's parking.....

Would really like to do this as I do not want to pay for the room rate with plenty of points in the pocket, but willing to pay for parking and subsequent airport transfers.

Thanks!
I've never heard of that at any airport property. Usually Park-n-Fly is a paid stay with the parking tossed in for free, not the other way around. If you're willing to pay for parking at the hotel, why not just check out long-term parking at the airport or offsite parking lots?

Cheers.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 4:12 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
I don't use MSP frequently, but... just happened to read this on the plane on the way to a one night stay at the MSP/MoA SHS in Bloomington. I asked at check-in and, much to my surprise, they DO have a stay with miles option on this. You pay for the room with points and pay either $10/day for outdoor parking or $15/day for indoor parking. The airport shuttle runs to MSP at the top and bottom of each hour. It took about five minutes to get from the airport to the hotel in a rental car.

The hotel itself is compact. The lobby and the rooms are smaller than most SHS. The bathroom is right when you walk in the room and the room itself is smaller than most SHS rooms, with the closet inches from the bed, but the room iteslf is clean. The tub sparkles. The staff had my feather free room ready and waiting, and I cannot hear any airport or highway noise in the room.

If you have any other questions, I'm here until eight tomorrow morning and am happy to ask or look.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CJKatl
I don't use MSP frequently, but... just happened to read this on the plane on the way to a one night stay at the MSP/MoA SHS in Bloomington. I asked at check-in and, much to my surprise, they DO have a stay with miles option on this. You pay for the room with points and pay either $10/day for outdoor parking or $15/day for indoor parking. The airport shuttle runs to MSP at the top and bottom of each hour. It took about five minutes to get from the airport to the hotel in a rental car.

The hotel itself is compact. The lobby and the rooms are smaller than most SHS. The bathroom is right when you walk in the room and the room itself is smaller than most SHS rooms, with the closet inches from the bed, but the room iteslf is clean. The tub sparkles. The staff had my feather free room ready and waiting, and I cannot hear any airport or highway noise in the room.

If you have any other questions, I'm here until eight tomorrow morning and am happy to ask or look.
OK now we are cookin....
How do I reserve this arrangement? Book all online? Book stay with pts online then call hotel to reserve the parking?
Also how close is this hotel to the light rail? May not even need the shuttle...
Old Feb 1, 2015, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan
Also how close is this hotel to the light rail? May not even need the shuttle...
Bing Maps shows the walking distance to be 0.6 miles. You may be able to slice 0.1 mile off by cutting across the parking lot adjacent to the light rail station. (I can't tell if there is a fence.) A map:

http://binged.it/1CQ591s
Old Feb 1, 2015, 6:50 pm

Starters: The guy at the front desk couldn't be any awesomer.

The light rail is one block away. The shuttle can take you there if you want. There is no fence between here and there. It is apparently an easy walk.

All you need to do is make the reservation with your points or certs. Put a note on the reservation about the car, but they will take care of everything when you check-in. His demeanor leads me to believe it isn't a big deal and it's done all the time.

I've learned something new. I had no idea you could do Stay, Park and Fly with points or certs!
Old Feb 1, 2015, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by CJKatl
The light rail is one block away.
I'll gladly revise my post if I got the hotel address wrong, but the map shows the distance to be much further than one block.

Just to confirm: This is the hotel at 2870 Metro Dr in Bloomington, MN. The building is adjacent to Interstate 494 between 24th Ave South and 34th Ave South.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by writerguyfl
I'll gladly revise my post if I got the hotel address wrong, but the map shows the distance to be much further than one block.

Just to confirm: This is the hotel at 2870 Metro Dr in Bloomington, MN. The building is adjacent to Interstate 494 between 24th Ave South and 34th Ave South.
Yes. That is the address showing on the telephone. I don't know the area, and just followed GPS, but the guy at the front desk said, "a block." That may have been literal or figurative, but he did also say the shuttle can take you to the stop.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to CJKatl.....

Got my park, stay, and fly at the SHS MSP Airport location booked! Used Cat 1-4 cert for the stay. Called hotel...very nice gentleman said he would note my reservation for the parking, and all I have to do is show up and we'll be set!
Parking $10 per night outdoor, $15 per night indoor. If it looks like bad winter weather when we are gone, I may just upgrade to the indoor option for a few extra....
Old Feb 2, 2015, 7:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I would guess that if you call some of the airport hotels they might agree to let you book a room on points and then pay for a certain number of additional days of parking.

AFAIK all of the MSP area airport hotels with airport shuttle service don't charge additional for the shuttle (although tips are appreciated, especially if the driver helps with luggage).
Old Feb 3, 2015, 1:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5*
You do want to stay at the hotel for a night before departure, correct? In that case, probably working with the SHS is good.

If you are just looking to park, then Park-n-Fly is $12/day for outdoor and $16/day indoor with a decent rewards program (for frequent parkers). Also, you can usually get free coupons on the internet for either 15-30% off or a free day.

The only time I used a Stay-Park-Fly Rate was when the hotel offered 14 days of parking following a stay and it was working out significantly cheaper than paying by the day at the long term parking lot. I didnt actually stay the night; just checked in, parked my car and left.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by crazyhorse
You do want to stay at the hotel for a night before departure, correct? In that case, probably working with the SHS is good.

If you are just looking to park, then Park-n-Fly is $12/day for outdoor and $16/day indoor with a decent rewards program (for frequent parkers). Also, you can usually get free coupons on the internet for either 15-30% off or a free day.

The only time I used a Stay-Park-Fly Rate was when the hotel offered 14 days of parking following a stay and it was working out significantly cheaper than paying by the day at the long term parking lot. I didnt actually stay the night; just checked in, parked my car and left.
Yes the nights stay is necessary. This property ought to work well.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 7:02 pm

Glad it is all working out. What a good coincidence that I read that on the way to the hotel! They guy you probably spoke to at the hotel is a good guy, and was able to handle quite a crush of people without losing his cool or train of thought.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 9:40 pm
Original Member

Programs: Lifetime Platinum Marriott
I know it is not exactly what you are asking but thought I would add.
In winters in MSP, I hated parking my car at airport because of cost and cold.
Then I discovered I could rent a one-way car from my local Hertz for about $20.
So for much cheaper than parking: I got to leave my car in the garage and got a nice warm car when I returned.

Something to think about.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 1:41 pm

Light rail:

The closest station is straight south, not east as shown on the map. http://goo.gl/maps/aqgHj

It would not be a nice walk.

SHS: this hotel is newer but orginally opened as a Cambria Suites.

Last edited by tom_MN; Feb 4, 2015 at 1:49 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.