Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Best caribbean marriott from these choices?

Old Jan 20, 2015, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Hi,

I am looking to take a vacation to the Caribbean. I must stay in a Marriott and Ritz Carlton is out of the question.

I have stayed at the Stellaris in Aruba and absolutely loved it. I want to go back, but I want to consider other options. However I am afraid to be let down after Aruba so any reviews are helpful!

Here are my considerations: Curacao, St. Kitts, Cayman Islands, British and US Virgin Islands.

These are my only options.

Thank you!
Old Jan 20, 2015, 10:56 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by jaiello11
Hi,

I am looking to take a vacation to the Caribbean. I must stay in a Marriott and Ritz Carlton is out of the question.

I have stayed at the Stellaris in Aruba and absolutely loved it. I want to go back, but I want to consider other options. However I am afraid to be let down after Aruba so any reviews are helpful!

Here are my considerations: Curacao, St. Kitts, Cayman Islands, British and US Virgin Islands.

These are my only options.

Thank you!
What time of the year are u going? I have been to the Aruba location...it is nice!!
Old Jan 21, 2015, 6:31 am

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
More details are needed on what you like to do, family, on resort off resort etc. I have stayed at all on the list.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 6:44 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
First, welcome to FT.

Second, one thing I would recommend is to search for each of those locations in the Marriott forum and you should be able to find a lot of info specific to each one. There is also the FAQ sticky thread that should also have links to threads to most if not all the locations you specified.

All the Marriott's are fairly nice and usually right on the beach. My suggestion is to focus more on the island you want to explore and experience more than focusing on the resort on the various islands. Each island is different and can offer you a different experience. ^

I have been to St. Kitts and Cayman myself. I've never been to Aruba, but I've been told that St. Kitts is like Aruba was 20+ years ago (before it received a lot of building out.) Cayman has some of the nicest beaches anywhere and has a lot of very nice shopping (and playing with the sting-rays is something not to miss.)

I will say though that the "nicest" Marriott resort I have been to in the Caribbean was the Cayman RC (and it is on the nicest part of 7 mile beach.) But again that depends on what you like/want in a resort.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 7:32 am

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Originally Posted by hnewman
More details are needed on what you like to do, family, on resort off resort etc. I have stayed at all on the list.
I'll tag along on this one, not being OP.

Which one has good shore diving?

Good for family with 4 year old kid?

Good for wife that doesn't do beach/pool or anything with a lot of walking (mobility scooter is involved)?
Old Jan 21, 2015, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by iztok
I'll tag along on this one, not being OP.

Which one has good shore diving?

Good for family with 4 year old kid?

Good for wife that doesn't do beach/pool or anything with a lot of walking (mobility scooter is involved)?
Shore diving- I would say 100% for sure Curacao. Perfect! For sure not St. Kitts, Cayman or Aruba.

Good for family with 4 year old kid-I would say in order of top to lowest but all are likely close. St. Kitts (bigger pool and activities), Aruba, Curacao, Cayman (smallest pool)

Wife and walking- Again this is preference issue. Do you want sidewalks? Traffic? Cayman has side walks but LOTS of traffic. St. Kitts I do not remember side walks but walk on street. Curacao has some side walks but how far do you want to walk.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 10:07 am
Original Poster

im looking to go any time from now until spring. looking romantic vacation getaway, not crazy crowded, with some water activities to do (snorkeling, jet skiing, tubing etc) nice beach to relax on. maybe some atv adventure possible?

I could care less about shopping or food

Hope this helps! I did look around the forums for similar threads and found good information but some were from years ago
Old Jan 21, 2015, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hnewman
im looking to go any time from now until spring. looking romantic vacation getaway, not crazy crowded, with some water activities to do (snorkeling, jet skiing, tubing etc) nice beach to relax on. maybe some atv adventure possible?

I could care less about shopping or food

Hope this helps! I did look around the forums for similar threads and found good information but some were from years ago
Old Jan 21, 2015, 3:10 pm

Here's my $.02:

Timing: some of this will depend on availability. This is high season in the Caribbean. I don't think any of these places get crazy crowded until Spring Break starts in the US & Canada.

I have not been to Cayman or Curacao.

Here's why St. Thomas is a good choice: multiple pools & hotel options (MVC villas, Frenchman's Reef, Morning Star) listed in my preferred place to stay. The villas include full kitchens & living room. Multiple restaurants on-site, including the 4-5 star Havana Blue. Downtown STT has many great restaurants, too. There is an $6 water taxi into town. It does stop at 5PM(?). For romantic beaches, take a day trip via the ferry to St. Johns. Many world class beaches: Trunk Bay is our favorite. Take wine, cheese, crackers & towels with you (no glass bottles) for a incredible day. You can also snorkel at these beaches. You can rent a car, but be aware they drive on the left hand side of the road. If you're inexperienced doing that, you might want to take cabs. Yeah, it's pricey but for us much more relaxing (and cocktail intake isn't diminished). Lots of spots on the island of STT to visit: Maegens Bay, Water Island (a great grocery store near the water taxi to this island with great food & alcohol). Probably the biggest downside is the cost: Food & cabs are expensive. But, a trip to the grocery & liquor store will help. Flights are reasonable to get here. Also, you can get boat charters to take you to any BVI you want: Jost Von Dyke, Virgin Gorda, etc. Or you can get to most of these by ferry.

St. Kitts: We're returning here in April for the 2nd time. Much less developed than STT & Aruba. Which is not a bad thing, just a comment. The Marriott itself is I think the best in the Caribbean: Hotel & MVC villas. Multiple large pools & multiple on-site restaurants & bars. Our 1st trip was an all-inclusive but this is no longer available here It was well worth the points to get it. We'll be in a villa so we'll be doing more eating in this time. Also, buying alcohol offsite is a much cheaper way to go. There's a decent beach, no waves but very calm & relaxing. We toured the island last time via taxi for 3-4 hours which I think cost $100/pp w/ tip. We didn't rent a car. It's harder to fly to/from the US & more expensive. We plan to do more island exploring this trip & will also include a trip to Nevis via ferry. I can't comment on snorkling here but I'm sure it's all around. We watched a local catch lobsters w/ a spear while we were on the hotel beach last year. Overall, a very laid back uncrowded island (for now). It's starting to get more built up.

We love both places.

We also like Aruba but prefer the Renaissance suites as they are usually less crowded than the other end of the island. Plus we can walk to the numerous restaurants downtown.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 5:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Curacao is great, but my wife and I mostly stayed at the resort. The beach is a stone's throw from the pool. The food can get tiring depending on the length of your visit. The staff are second to none on friendliness and helpfulness. There's a shuttle to downtown and the streets would be very friendly for a scooter, not much walking around outside the resort. There is an ATV tour of the island and they'll pick you up. My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by njcommodore
Curacao is great, but my wife and I mostly stayed at the resort. The food can get tiring depending on the length of your visit. The staff are second to none on friendliness and helpfulness. There's a shuttle to downtown and the streets would be very friendly for a scooter, not much walking around outside the resort. There is an ATV tour of the island and they'll pick you up. My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
There are some great places off-site in Curacao. I suggest if you go get a car, get some change for parking, park downtown and walk across the pedestrian float bridge (very cool). Our favorite is cuban place called Mr. Congas. Love it. I taxi's are expensive and shuttle does not help for dinner. Shore diving is great with on-site scuba shop. PM if you want details.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 9:04 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Silver, Hertz
Beside Aruba, where you have already been, we have been to both the St Kitts and Curacao (the Marriott, not the Renaissance) properties. Mr jtwiz liked St Kitts better, I liked Curacao better!

Maybe my perception was colored by the fact it rained every day we were in St Kitts, including one day where the water was so deep in the streets it was up around my knees while I was shopping in Basseterre!!

As mentioned by other posters, St Kitts is definitely a more laid back island. We would walk along the ocean directly from the resort and barely see another person. Very peaceful for a vacation. We used taxis to get around, although we did walk to a couple of places to eat. I would definitely take the ferry to Nevis if we go again, it sounds like a fun day out.

Curacao as an island has more than just tourism (Oil refineries, etc.) and had a much livelier downtown feeling in Willemstad. The Marriott is an expensive cab ride from the downtown, that was one negative. When we went, there were no shops close by to pick up bottled water, soda, beer, etc. That may have changed as we were there a few years ago. However, the hotel itself was lovely, service was excellent. The beach right in front was a bit rocky (although it is stunningly pretty!), but if you walk a short way to the right you could easily get right into the water.

United Airlines no longer has a direct flight to Curacao or St Kitts from Newark, so unfortunately I doubt we will be back any time soon.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would not do Curacao without a rental car. Driving is easy and there are grocery stores to buy snacks, easy to find parking downtown for dining out, but without a car I would feel trapped at the resort.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 11:32 am

Location: Michigan's West Coast and wherever my clients need me
Programs: Delta Diamond (2+M MQMs), Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
I would feel trapped at the resort.
That's bad how?

Seriously though, I second the motion for a rental car. Really a necessity there.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

anyone stay at the British virgin island resort? I think it's a Marriott autograph collection?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.