Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Mauna Kea Beach Hotel Autograph Collection, Big Island of Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 23, 2015, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tattikat2
Property is a resort, so Autograph Collection resort benefits apply.

Confirmed list of benefits for Marriott Platinum Elite (and higher) members:

— Welcome Gift of 1000 Marriott Bonvoy points (per stay) OR continental breakfast at Manta Restaurant for member +1 (per day). See post 595 for a recent report of the elite breakfast benefit.
— Eligible for an upgrade and late check-out, if available.
— High-speed internet

Confirmed list of benefits for ALL Marriott Rewards Members:

— Free wifi (3 devices max, also extends out to the beach area)
— 10% discount on breakfast buffet at Manta Restaurant (3/29/21 unsure what is offered as there is no buffet)
— 10% discount for MKBH's twice-weekly Luau dinner and show
— 2 comp rental club sets with 2 paid rounds for golf
— 2 comp tennis racquet rentals

Maximum # in room is THREE (which is strange for a family property), but multiple calls to property have confirmed this/they're holding to it.
02-02-2024 Website now says 3rd and now 4th adult in room is $95 extra per person
Parking:

— Electric car charging stations: 4, For a fee
— On-site parking, fee: 30 USD daily
— Valet parking, fee: 30 USD daily

Room pictures: https://maunakeabeachhotel.com/accommodations/

Area restaurants: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawa...ts-thread.html

Print Wikipost

Mauna Kea Beach Hotel Autograph Collection, Big Island of Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2015, 6:00 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by KRS
How do you know, or where do you get this information?

It does not appear to be a resort according to:
https://www.marriott.co.uk/hotel-sea...states.resort/
Alternatively: https://www.marriott.com/hotel-searc...states.resort/

I realize it is strange if it isn't a resort but would be great if it wasn't
Great observation! Yes, Marriott.com currently shows the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection to be a hotel, not a resort!

If you look at a Marriott.com page for a resort, it has a tab called "Our Resort." For a hotel, it has a tab called "Our Hotel." The Mauna Kea Beach Hotel has a tab called "Our Hotel." Take a look:

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...ph-collection/

The word "resort" does not appear on the landing page for the the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection. Nor does it appear on the other pages that I looked at.

To me the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel is the very definition of a resort, even if its name has the word "Hotel," not "Resort." But that doesn't matter. All that matters is how Marriott categorizes the property. It goes both ways. Keep in mind that there are properties like the Lincolnshire Marriott Resort that Marriott.com considers to be resorts, but that are really just suburban hotels.

Any Gold Elite or Platinum Elite member who made a reservation at the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel based on Marriott.com's description can makes a good case that Autograph Collection Hotel (not Resort) benefits apply -- including the Lounge/Breakfast benefit.

It might be a good idea to print out the current Marriott.com content for the Kea Beach Hotel.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm happy that I'll be able to earn MR points here, but I really hope that the property doesn't become "Marriottized". It's a special gem in Hawaii and it'd be a shame to see it turn into something like the Ritz Kapalua or heaven forbid the other Waikoloa Marriott.

This leaves only two resorts not affiliated with one of the major brands on the Kohala coast. The Hapuna Prince and the Mauna Lani.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 9:03 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
...I really hope that the property doesn't become "Marriottized".
That's the point of the Autograph Collection. Provide Marriott benefits, but retain the property's individuality.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 8:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
It's officially a resort. Marriott press release (also details more things like Saturday clambakes).

http://news.marriott.com/2015/01/aut...ala-coast.html

Cheers.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 10:29 am

Programs: AA, B6, UA, HH, WoH
Originally Posted by pokee
I called. Max room occupancy is 3...They will make exceptions for 2 small children with 2 adults, but it needs to be done directly with the hotel (special permission at the time of reservation). Both my children are under 12, but are 11 and 9....the agent I was speaking to said that may be too old to make the exception.
I attempted to make reservations for family of four (2 adults/2 children) in single room. My kids were 9 and 12. Travel agent said it was unusual that she could not book it for more than 3 in a room. She tried to make reservation, but was denied.
I called the resort directly and the policy of not allowing family of 4 in a single room was confirmed.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 7:41 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
It's officially a resort. Marriott press release (also details more things like Saturday clambakes).

http://news.marriott.com/2015/01/aut...ala-coast.html

Cheers.
Marriott guests should be able to rely on a property's content on Marrriott.com. According to Marriott.com, the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel is a hotel, not a resort:

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...ph-collection/

Also, Marriott guests should be able to rely on resort lists by state at Marriott.com. Hawaii has a number of resorts under Marriott brands, but the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel is not one of them:

https://www.marriott.com/hotel-searc...states.resort/

Marriott guests should not have to rely on press releases -- especially not on ones that call the same property a resort and a hotel.

To be honest, I think it's only a matter of before the Marriott.com content for the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel is changed and it can really be said, "It's officially a resort."

Until then, it's officially a hotel. Gold Elite and Platinum Elite members can make a strong case for the lounge/breakfast benefit.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Autograph Collection breakfast benefits aren't worth fighting for IME.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by Horace

1.Marriott guests should be able to rely on a property's content on Marrriott.com.

2. To be honest, I think it's only a matter of before the Marriott.com content for the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel is changed and it can really be said, "It's officially a resort."

3. Until then, it's officially a hotel. Gold Elite and Platinum Elite members can make a strong case for the lounge/breakfast benefit.
1. Agree.
2. Agree.
3. In your opinion. In Marriott's view it's a resort. One can try to make a case for cont'l brekkie, but not be surprised if it's denied.

Cheers.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by HappyCheesehead
We will be there on points for a 10 day stay in a few weeks. DH is plat. I am not expecting much but will report back on my experience. If anyone has questions on a rewards stay at this hotel please post them and I will see if I can answer or get an answer.
Am assuming there will be a resort fee. If you could report back on how much & specifically what the resort fee covers, that would be great.

Also let us know if there are any bennies for Plats (or Golds). Some (not many) resorts will offer a reduction on resort fee or reduction on breakfast or access to the spa or reduction on parking fees.

Cheers.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Am assuming there will be a resort fee. If you could report back on how much & specifically what the resort fee covers, that would be great.

Also let us know if there are any bennies for Plats (or Golds). Some (not many) resorts will offer a reduction on resort fee or reduction on breakfast or access to the spa or reduction on parking fees.

Cheers.
Interestingly, there is no resort fee but they do charge a $15 per night self park fee. I will be happy to report back on any bennies we receive (or not, LOL) and on how the stay goes.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BOSOGG
I attempted to make reservations for family of four (2 adults/2 children) in single room. My kids were 9 and 12. Travel agent said it was unusual that she could not book it for more than 3 in a room. She tried to make reservation, but was denied.
I called the resort directly and the policy of not allowing family of 4 in a single room was confirmed.
It's really too bad, but I think it likely has to do with the fire code - that's typically why they are sticklers when it comes to room occupancy and why they can be more lenient and make exceptions for families with very small children/babies.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA, B6, UA, HH, WoH
Originally Posted by pokee
It's really too bad, but I think it likely has to do with the fire code - that's typically why they are sticklers when it comes to room occupancy and why they can be more lenient and make exceptions for families with very small children/babies.
Unlikely a Fire Code issue; standard rooms are 590 sq ft or larger which is more than average.
More a long standing policy to limit number of rug rats. Target guest is mature and affluent. You can bring 2 kids as long as you can afford a second room.
Mauna Kea's sister property, the Hapuna Beach Hotel is right next door, and shares all facilities with MK. Same ownership/ management: Prince Resorts.
Hapuna Beach allows 2 kids in same room with parents. That's where we stay.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 4:41 pm

Programs: AA mm, Hilton Dime, Hyatt Xpl.& PC Plat, Miracle Fruit-su club
I was fortunate enough to stay at this hotel as a young child in it's 2nd year of operation. Very disappointed they didn't remember me when I called .

They just yesterday received notice that Platinum members should get their choice of a 500 point bonus or $10 credit at check-in - nothing mentioned yet for Golds. The gentleman stated they may still be working on it.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by BOSOGG
... standard rooms are 590 sq ft or larger which is more than average.
I stayed at the MKBH just 2 weeks ago. I think the sq. ft. numbers you mention include the spacious lanais in the total... so the room itself is not as large as those numbers suggest.

Last edited by schriste; Jan 28, 2015 at 6:50 am Reason: update
Old Jan 27, 2015, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by jumpdogjump

They just yesterday received notice that Platinum members should get their choice of a 500 point bonus or $10 credit at check-in - nothing mentioned yet for Golds. The gentleman stated they may still be working on it.
Given that the 500 points or $10 Food/Beverage coupon are the domestic Platinum Arrival Gift options, Golds shouldn't expect it

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.