Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Introducing: Mobile Check-In Exclusively at Marriott Hotels

Introducing: Mobile Check-In Exclusively at Marriott Hotels

Old Aug 30, 2013, 6:35 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Existing thread on it for a while.

Cheers.
In fairness to the OP, the existing thread is titled "http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...e-check-2.html"; which suggests a desire for Marriott to add mobile check-in, rather than an announcement of its roll-out. I'll send a note to Bruce suggesting an updated title as well as the merging or closing of this thread.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 6:42 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold, DL Silver
Just don't know - will this help? Maybe at a busy property, but I don't find most of the time check-in lines are long. Yes sometimes they are, but more so at a resort.
I'm unsure if we'll use this; we'll wait and see others' experiences first!
Old Aug 30, 2013, 7:00 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by happymommy
Just don't know - will this help? Maybe at a busy property, but I don't find most of the time check-in lines are long. Yes sometimes they are, but more so at a resort.
I'm unsure if we'll use this; we'll wait and see others' experiences first!
Where it will help most is late night check-ins at airport properties. Often, several people are dropped off by the hotel van, and there is only a single person behind the counter. If it takes five minutes for each of the four people in front of you to register, you've just lost 20 minutes of valuable sleep time. Usually people checking in that late are frequent guests, so this may make a significant difference.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 7:35 am

They will need do have kiosks to pick up the room keys to make this worthwhile.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 7:36 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Where it will help most is late night check-ins at airport properties.
I can see myself using this any time I will be checking in late when I think the property may be at capacity... will avoid having to call the front desk the night of to let them know that I'm still coming and to ask them to please not give my room away.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 8:18 pm

Programs: Delta-PM, Marriott-Plat, PC-Gold
Early Checkin on mobile app

If I read this right (and correct me if I'm wrong, I'm under the weather and may indeed have misread), with the new mobile app, you can check in at 4pm the day prior to your checkin day. Your keys will be waiting for you when you arrive.

Questions:
Where do room upgrades fit into this?
Do you still need to ask for them when you arrive?
Points or market item/credit...when's this handled?

Thanks for anyone in the know.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 12:17 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by jgottlieb
If I read this right (and correct me if I'm wrong, I'm under the weather and may indeed have misread), with the new mobile app, you can check in at 4pm the day prior to your checkin day. Your keys will be waiting for you when you arrive.

Questions:
Where do room upgrades fit into this?
Do you still need to ask for them when you arrive?
Points or market item/credit...when's this handled?

Thanks for anyone in the know.
I Went through it once, but it was when I woke up at 430am and looked at my phone. Needless to say I fell back asleep after making the selections and only have a hazy recollection. What I remember is the check in and being able to select the time I will arrive by and then getting a confirmation that my room was ready. It didn't address the issue of upgrades and the one hotel I have gone through this process with did not have any upgrades for me when I arrived and asked. Whether I would have received an upgrade via the online feature if thy had one I am not sure. Later this week I have another stay with online checkin and will post my experience in detail now that I know what to look for. The hotel I did it through had someone give me the key and that is when they asked about points/gift, but I think other properties will handle it differently. There is a special line for people who checked in online and based on the survey I was given after this seems like a feature that will be common to all properties.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 6:44 am

Programs: united, Hilton, Amtrak
I did it at the Kansas City airport Marriott. Selected 7:30 pm arrival. Arrived at 7:45. Was on my way in less than two minutes. As a gold was upgraded to concierge level. I think the biggest variable is the fd clerk. If this person is competent, then the process is fast. If the fd clerk is incompetent or has a leaner leaning on the counter, you are out of luck.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 7:09 am

Programs: Avis First, Hertz Gold, Marriott Platinum, US Airways Platinum, AA Platinum, UA Silver, Hilton Diamo
Originally Posted by steve4031
I did it at the Kansas City airport Marriott. Selected 7:30 pm arrival. Arrived at 7:45. Was on my way in less than two minutes. As a gold was upgraded to concierge level. I think the biggest variable is the fd clerk. If this person is competent, then the process is fast. If the fd clerk is incompetent or has a leaner leaning on the counter, you are out of luck.
So even though you've checked-in via the app you still have to wait in line for your keys? Seems silly. I wonder what happens when I check-in and am not given a room with my bed type - they would have to check me in all over again I suspect.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by xtremeski2001
So even though you've checked-in via the app you still have to wait in line for your keys? Seems silly. I wonder what happens when I check-in and am not given a room with my bed type - they would have to check me in all over again I suspect.
Your concern rises to about the same level as "What do I do if my shoelace comes untied?" (Just to be on the safe side: You stop walking and tie your shoelace, ala Tanya Harding, minus the tears.)

If you don't get your room type, you will go to the counter and check in like you always checked in. If you don't want to participate in online check-in, out of fear that you might get the wrong room type, don't use it. It's optional. In fact, if your attitude is to find something wrong, it would probably be best for you to stand in line and wait for those of us who have used it to be handed our keys. It's really no different than hotels that check elites in ahead of time already. For example, the FS in Conshohocken and the Key Bridge Marriott already have separate desks where elites are already checked in and just handed keys.

It kinda reminds me of when I was a kid and one of the first ATM machines in the country (Rosie) opened in our town. People panicked over that, too.

Is the the cure for every person's every issue? No. But it makes sense for many of us in many situations.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 9:24 am

Programs: Avis First, Hertz Gold, Marriott Platinum, US Airways Platinum, AA Platinum, UA Silver, Hilton Diamo
In fact, if your attitude is to find something wrong, it would probably be best for you to stand in line and wait for those of us who have used it to be handed our keys.
This is kind of my point .... you'd be behind me while they sort out all the things I've "found wrong" with my reservation in an effort to get your keys. Sure you saved yourself a minute, but you still have to wait for those in front of you to finish before you get your keys.

It would be great if there was a way to get the keys to your room like AVIS does at ORD and others.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by xtremeski2001
This is kind of my point .... you'd be behind me while they sort out all the things I've "found wrong" with my reservation in an effort to get your keys. Sure you saved yourself a minute, but you still have to wait for those in front of you to finish before you get your keys.

It would be great if there was a way to get the keys to your room like AVIS does at ORD and others.
I'd interrupt you and say to the Desk Clerk, "I checked in online." He/she would stop working with you and hand me my key. Just like they do now when they've checked you in ahead of time. I wouldn't stand in line waiting for you to finish changing rooms. I'm not seeing where there is an issue here. If you want to get upset about the desk clerk taking a few seconds to help another customer, frankly, who cares. You'd wind up spending more time complaining than you would have gained by the clerk not stopping. (Clerk spends fifteen seconds handing me the key, you spend at least minute talking about why this is wrong!)

Look at how much time the airlines have saved us by having mobile check-in. Remember when there used to be long lines at the front of the airport for check-in? Rather than looking for problems, why not see how it unfolds. Maybe, just maybe, Marriott knows more about hotel check-in that us, and maybe, just maybe, after testing this in several hotels, they've gotten the kinks out. (Yes, they've been testing this. I've stayed in a few hotels that have already had this up and running.)
Old Sep 1, 2013, 10:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Sorry CJKatl, I think the points made were valid. If there's going to be a manual process with this, then it negates a bit the electronic time savings. No need to be snarky to those who are asking questions or posting valid viewpoints.

FWIW - your interrupting someone else's check-in because you can't wait is rude IMO.

Cheers.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 11:00 am

Sharon - in the one hotel I did the ONCI, when a guest walked in, the clerk looked up and asked, "Online Check In?" If the answer was yes, the key was handed over. No wait. It wasn't a big deal.

Sorry, you know I respect you and your opinions, but people seem to be worrying about the unknown, more than worrying about anything real, my snark aside.

CJK
Old Sep 1, 2013, 11:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
1. Sharon - in the one hotel I did the ONCI, when a guest walked in, the clerk looked up and asked, "Online Check In?" If the answer was yes, the key was handed over. No wait. It wasn't a big deal.

2. Sorry, you know I respect you and your opinions, but people seem to be worrying about the unknown, more than worrying about anything real, my snark aside.

CJK
1. That's slightly different than what you said. You said you would interrupt the person already in line to say you did OLCI. Even if I know a property has my info already prepared, I don't cut in front of others.

2. I respect you too, but I don't see it as worrying so much as asking hey, what happens in these scenarios & getting input.

Anyway, it's a moot point for me since I don't have a Droid or iOS phone!

Cheers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.