Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Bogota, Colombia [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2013, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador

I searched FT and found nothing extensive on this Hotel. It deserves one.

Decided to come into BOG as a tourist. There are lots of reasonably priced hotels in Bogota with chains I have status with. After looking at everything a Lounge, price and comfort ruled the decision. The Hotel is offering packages which include room, two 60 minutes massages, breakfast buffet and internet. Massage part played into my decision heavily as I thought that was the real value. I would get Lounge access and internet access no matter what.

Contacted the JW via e-mail. This is the most pro-active e-mail reply property I have ever encountered. They also cc everyone in so someone is always around to answer. E-mailed regarding upgrade, early check-in and to schedule massages. A Concierge contacted me so also booked car service with the JW from BOG. The rate is around $34. Before departing the US knew my room had been upgraded to Concierge level, massages confirmed and early check-in allowed.

Upon arrival early had now been upgraded to junior suite which most would consider a full on suite. Lot of room. The Lounge is a very good size with touches from RC HKG. They have two coolers with soft drinks and bottled water available. They even have paper bags to expedite the departure of those items. The evening spread was sufficient for someone trying to make a light meal.

The Spa is nothing over the top but I had one of the best massages ever. Gym was huge and they have a steam room. Doubt this Hotel would disappoint anyone. If you want the name of a very good guide FT PM me.
Old Aug 17, 2013, 11:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plt, Hilton Gold, BA Silver, GE
My review of the hotel from Tripadvisor:

Just came back from an 11 night stay the JW Marriott Bogota. Our group arrived late to Bogota and didn't get to the hotel until 1am. I had emailed the virtual concierge for a slightly larger room. Being a Marriott Rewards elite member, I just get in the habit in hopes of scoring an upgrade. I got a mini-suite so I was appreciative.

The checkin process was quick and painless and I headed to my 7th floor room. The room was big, clean and trendy. The bed was soft and comfortable. I could never adjust the thermostat to get the heater to turn on. Bogota ranges from 60-70F for highs and 50F for a low. I just stayed under the covers at night. All 3 in the group had the same problem and never called the front desk. The bathroom was big and clean. It had separate shower & soak tub.

The lobby, checkin area and lobby lounge was pretty much all connected so I don't understand some other reviews claiming it was small. The executive lounge was spacious but lacked some tables in the morning. It was typically stocked with food and drinks.

Morning breakfast downstairs at Monet was good, not great. There is enough variety for all along with some local fruits and dishes. Monet for dinner was acceptable. La Mina was excellent but could/will set you back a few pesos. Dry73 appeared small so I did not try it.

The fitness looked great, you just won't catch me in it. It had plenty of machines, thread mills and free weights. It is open 24hrs. The pool was nice and the hot tub better.

As for location, you can walk to Zona G within 5-10 minutes easily and it is perfectly safe. There are 15-20 good to great restaurants there like Harry's, Criterion & 69 Oyster (read my reviews). Zona Rosa (Calle 82 & Carerra 11) is a 20 minutes walk or 4 minutes taxi ride. There's tons of shopping & restaurants there as well. Carerre 7 partially closes on Sundays and holidays so folks can ride their bikes, jog and walk their dogs.

Speaking of dogs, you'll get your bags & backpack sniffed by the guard dogs everyday along with the metal detector. You get used to it, keep calm and carry forward. I saw Martha Stewart there my first morning.

Value-wise. It falls inline with its price, you get what you pay for.

Watch out for high attitude sickness.

Last edited by GDaoV; Aug 17, 2013 at 11:38 pm Reason: ...
Old Aug 18, 2013, 5:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Thank you. FT is not the review site it used to be. TA is much more robust now.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 9:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
Thank you. FT is not the review site it used to be. TA is much more robust now.
Well like TA, FT relies on people to post their experiences Thank you for doing so re: this property. It will make it easier for someone to find in search who might stay there in the future. Also, certain cities/properties do get reviewed a lot on FT. Others not so much, probably because not a lot of FTers have stayed at them.

Cheers.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Marriott Bogota

Changed to Marriott before taking red-eye. At least for the days I was checking the prices were in the same range. If you take into account the massage deal then the JW is without doubt the choice. The area around the JW is also more interesting for walking around. The Marriott only has a chicken place and McDonalds.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

In closing if you are done with your "A" list and moving down the "B" list Bogota is a nice choice. I felt safe but was always with my guide or driver or within minutes of the hotels. Saw the Gold Museum, Botero Museum, Mount Monserrate, Old Bogota and of course the Salt Cathedral at Zipaquira. All of this was done in two solid days along with lots of down time which works for me. The hotels were as lux as one would expect in Asia with the JW having a very friendly thoughtful staff.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 9:59 pm

I will probably be back at the JW in October. I felt safe the whole time until reading the story about the CIA agent getting killed when he told a bad taxi ride from Andres to his hotel. With any traveling, be aware of your surroundings and safe travels all. I head to Canada tomorrow.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 5:16 am
Original Poster

Security was a breeze. Remember you may have to obtain an exemption certificate before checking in with your airline. I do not know the technicals behind the cert but was sent to the window by UA before being allowed to check-in with them.

UA uses Avianca lounge which is so so. There were no priority security lanes at BOG but was once again easy. Called the Marriott to check-out which seems to have gone fine. If you have leftover COP there is a Juan Valdez Cafe inside security with people spending the last of their pesos on coffee candy.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 6:58 am

Thanks for all the input/reviews!

Cheers.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 3:33 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
This place has fantastic weekend rates, $149/night or $199/night including breakfast and two 60 minute massages. (The Hilton around the corner is even cheaper, but a much inferior property.)

I've stayed once before and found it be a very nice property, though flawed in some respects. This is the best area in Bogota to stay, IMO.

Anyone have experience with Gold upgrades? I had no Marriott status last time I was here.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 6:23 am

The first time I stayed there I was gold and was upgraded to a junior suite.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 8:15 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Just spent one night on an award. Gold "upgrade" was to executive level. Somewhat underwhelming, especially on a low occupancy Friday night.

I will say the lounge is fantastic. I arrived a little after 10 pm and was surprised to learn lounge would be open until 11. Not only that, they still had a full spread out, including two hot snacks, plus soup, plus some very high quality ham, cheese, bread and various toppings, plus dessert. Breakfast spread was also really nice, higher quality in fact than the buffet in the restaurant last time I was here. There was a chef who offered to make me an omelet.

Slight service hiccup at check-out, the concierge had neglected to direct bill my car to the airport and the clerk fumbled the recovery.

Still a very nice property. I especially liked that you could sit on the patio at the adjacent Juan Valdez and still connect to the Marriott wifi

Last edited by Kacee; Jun 20, 2015 at 8:34 pm
Old Jun 21, 2015, 8:55 am

Thanks for the update!

Cheers.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 5:08 pm

Does anyone have the email address for reservations and concierge?
Old Feb 16, 2016, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA Plat; *A Gold; Marriott Gold
JW Marriott Bogota

Just stayed at the JW Marriott Bogota for a weekend mileage run on United. Got a good weekend rate. Similar rates at the regular Marriott and dirt cheap at the Courtyard, but chose the JW based on reviews on this site and was not disappointed.

Stylish, modern property with a boutique feeling. Even with no Spanish-language skills enjoyed interacting with all staff from the front desk to the Club lounge, restaurant, and the doormen/bellmen, and even the armed security guards with dogs out front. Warm décor with lots of dark wood and leather.

Room (was upgraded to 8th floor King) was spacious with full desk, chaise and ottoman. Plugs everywhere. Bathroom has soaking tub and separate large tiled shower. Every extra amenity including both mens' and women's toiletries (for example, disposable razor and shave cream, toothbrush and toothpaste, comb, etc.). (on edit) I can confirm other reports that you can't make your room any cooler; although the thermostat says it's on "cool" you can only control the fan and not the temp. I assume that the hotel has a central hot/cold water circulating system, but I hate it when hotels put a thermostat on the wall that doesn't actually do anything - it would be less frustrating if they just put up a sign saying that they control the temp and there's nothing you can do about it. Only an issue at night as the beds have thick duvets which are warm and thus I'd prefer the room to be cool for sleeping. Pet peeve...

Gym in the basement was well equipped with both Technogym cardio and also basics for weights. Did not use the spa but the staff were friendly. Their menu of services looked good and not expensive (at least in USD).

Ate in hotel patio restaurant for late lunch; nice to sit outside and enjoy the sound of the water feature. The indoor restaurant (Tamarin?) has a romantic, stone cellar décor that would be nice for an evening meal but too dark when it's sunny outside!

Club lounge was open on weekend, with nice breakfast and evening spread. Saw many families with (well-behaved) children on Sunday morning.

Used hotel-arranged car for airport pickup and return, as well as some sightseeing around town. One driver took me to a museum (the Botero museum) and offered to pick me up when I was ready, which was very convenient and at their prices was certainly worth the peace of mind regarding safety. Drivers were courteous and very careful with brand new compact SUVs or 8 passenger vans for large groups.

Didn't walk about much as only there for 36 hours, but the neighborhood looked relatively upscale with both offices and residential buildings, and scattering of restaurants. The Sunday Ciclovia goes along two streets just a block away; definitely worth taking part if you're there on a Sunday morning. It feels like all of Bogota is out biking, skating, running, or just strolling.

Overall a very nice JW, on the smaller side which made it feel like a boutique and not a business hotel.

Last edited by Brucemcdou; Feb 16, 2016 at 12:29 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.