FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Renaissance Discovery Doors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1493242-renaissance-discovery-doors.html)

nineworldseries Aug 11, 2013 7:20 pm

Renaissance Discovery Doors

New promo/giveaway online game by Renaissance. Seems like it depends on you sharing a bunch of stuff via Twitter to win.

http://www.renhotels.com/discovery

SkiAdcock Aug 12, 2013 7:11 am

The Renaissance® Hotels Discovery Doors Instant Win Game (the "Promotion") is open to legal residents of the fifty (50) United States (including the District of Columbia) who are at least 18 years of age as of August 5, 2013.

There is NO PURCHASE NECESSARY to participate. A purchase does not increase your chances of winning.

To play, visit renhotels.com/discovery (the "Website"). You will receive a virtual key ("Key") upon your first visit. Complete the online registration form by including your email address only. You will be prompted to watch a video and once the video is complete, follow the instructions and use your Key to open a door (each, a "Game Play"). Once you have opened a door, it will reveal either a winning or non-winning message (subject to verification). If you are deemed a winner, you will then receive an email requesting that you click where indicated to verify your email address and once your email is verified, you will receive an online prize claim form to submit. You may earn additional Keys as outlined in the chart below (note: think this is where the Twitter comes in). Once you receive an additional Key outlined below, you may play as indicated above.

Grand Prize: 7-day/6-night trip to each of the following locations: Phuket, Thailand; Paris, France; and Sonoma, California; a $750 travel stipend total ($250 per trip), awarded as a check payable to winner, a $200 Spa Credit in Sonoma, a Elephant trekking tour in Phuket, dinner in Paris (up to $300), and $4,500, awarded in the form of a check to help defray taxes.

First Prize: A 7-day/6-night trip to one of the following destinations (based on a first come, first serve basis): New York, NY; Chicago, IL; Atlanta, GA; St. Petersburg, FL : New Orleans, LA; Washington DC; Boston, MA; or Palm Springs, CA; and $500 to help defray taxes. Trip location per winner is at the sole discretion of the Sponsor.

Second Prize: A 2-night stay at a participating Renaissance hotel in one of the following U.S, destinations(based on a first come, first serve basis): Dallas, TX; Austin, TX; Tampa, FL; Phoenix, AZ; Chicago, IL; Atlanta, GA; Providence, RI; Las Vegas, NV; or Charleston, SC, awarded as a Certificate. Stay location per winner is at the sole discretion of the Sponsor.

There are also a number of lower level prizes.

Cheers.

VickiSoCal Aug 12, 2013 8:37 am

This is the most annoying contest ever. I tried to "play" it and good luck to anyone who has that kind of patience.

CJKatl Aug 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Oh my goodness...I just stumbled into the craptastic embarrassment that is the Discovery Doors promotion. It is about the worst thing I've even seen, and I've seen previous Marriott attempts at a Website.

It smells of grandparents trying to be edgy. I'm watching a hip-hop dance-off taking place in a graffiti laden Ren room. It like the Prince of Bel Aire meets Barry Manilow. There is a woman watching the dance off who looks like a Welcome Back Kotter extra, only she's still wearing her costume from 1976 despite having aged since the Sweat Hogs ruled ABC.

If I thought any of these people might actually be in a Ren lobby, I would avoid the lobby at all costs.

As much as I like free stuff, I'm not going back to see that again. It's not worth it just for a free week of hotel stays and airfare. I cannot imagine anyone actually watching this and wanting to stay in a Ren. Why not just advertise that the hotel has bed bugs and rats? Same result, less embarrassment.

SkiAdcock Aug 24, 2013 12:45 pm

CJKatl, that pretty much sums up the input on Insiders too. ;)

Cheers.

llbad Aug 24, 2013 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 21328914)
CJKatl, that pretty much sums up the input on Insiders too. ;)

Cheers.

ITT: Flyertalk and insiders members complaining about free things, what's new.

Relative to any other similar promotions I've ever seen, this one is slight step above regarding entertainment value (if that's the type of thing you look for in promotions...). It's obviously not targeted toward the 40 year old crowd who hangs around this forum, that's for sure.

SkiAdcock Aug 24, 2013 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by llbad (Post 21328949)

Relative to any other similar promotions I've ever seen, this one is slight step above regarding entertainment value (if that's the type of thing you look for in promotions...). It's obviously not targeted toward the 40 year old crowd who hangs around this forum, that's for sure.

Well there are well-designed promotions & non well designed promotions, neither of which has anything to do with age ;). This one isn't as well designed as some of the other Marriott promotions which have been interactive.

Cheers.

jr1202sr Aug 24, 2013 2:46 pm

how about taking all the money they spent on that promotion and all the money in prizes and give me 2 free drink coupons at a resort property as a Platinum instead.

That would go A LOT further for them....

llbad Aug 25, 2013 1:06 am

Originally Posted by jr1202sr (Post 21329380)
how about taking all the money they spent on that promotion and all the money in prizes and give me 2 free drink coupons at a resort property as a Platinum instead.

maybe because your request is absurd

BKKLEE Aug 25, 2013 1:17 am

+1

Originally Posted by llbad (Post 21331018)
maybe because your request is absurd

Originally Posted by jr1202sr (Post 21329380)

pooker Aug 25, 2013 12:50 pm

Has anybody won anything yet? It says I can get more keys by sharing my Facebook and Twitter, but I am kind of reluctant to spam my friends with this.

beachmouse Aug 25, 2013 2:12 pm

It appears that you can get 3 keys a day without bugging anyone from the guests in the hotel lobby.

SkiAdcock Aug 25, 2013 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by pooker (Post 21333077)
It says I can get more keys by sharing my Facebook and Twitter, but I am kind of reluctant to spam my friends with this.

I value my friends to much to expose them to spam so I took a pass.

Cheers.

CJKatl Aug 25, 2013 5:31 pm

I was showing my eighteen year old nephew how horrible this was. We got a key, opened a door and saw the most frightful sight. CeeLo Green in a silk bathrobe surrounded by rose petals. I'll have nightmares. Please, someone tell me. How can I unsee something?

nineworldseries Aug 25, 2013 8:03 pm

Has anyone actually won anything yet from this thing?